Anybody else about to save a ton of money on toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by lebowski, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm cutting back in a number of areas...

- Universe 2.0/Henkei - Just about finished with this line, as I only need Darkwind, after pre-ordering Ratchet and Hot Shot from HTS. Continuing my rule of not purchasing Henkei figures.
    - Animated - Other than Seekers or significant retools, I don't/won't buy repaints from this line. If any new molds come out, I'll get those, though.
    - ROTF - I love the Movie aesthetic and am really looking forward to the ROTF line. However, I'm not buying any repaints (including Premiums) unless it's something I really like, like Seekers or the Energon combiner repaints. I also won't be buying new toys for characters from the first film unless they get a new mold that's a significant improvement (Starscream), a new body (Megatron) or the toy is needed to interact with something else (Leader Prime?). Given that I was a completist for the first Movie line, all this means I'll probably spend only about half as much on ROTF as I did on that line.
    - Masterpieces - Passing on Grimlock unless Hasbro releases it.
    - Encore - Passing on the Combaticons and Cassette Mission 1. Since all Encore seem to go on sale eventually, will wait until Cassette Mission 2 gets discounted.
    - Fan Customs - Bought a number of these last year, but passing on all of them this year, except the Unicron.com Animated Pack and the Rodimus Protector upgrade.

2. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    My overarching plan for 09 is to consolidate my collection and replace some classics with Henkei. I'd avoided looking at comparison galleries for a while, but came across some and now I'm hooked.

Paid for but haven't arrived:
    Henkei TC, SS, Prime, Megatron, BB, Ratchet, Silverbolt, Dinobot, and Skyfire
    MP Grimlock

Will get:
    ROTF Leader Prime (may hold out to see if a better paint job comes along)
    ROTF Voy. Starscream

Will consider:
    G3 trailer
    ROTF HA BB
    ROTF Springer
    ROTF as yet unseen toys.

Other than that, I'm about to sell almost 200 toys, so keep an eye out for that:) 

3. Plastic Man

Plastic Man The Man in Black

I always feel like somebody's watching meeeeeeeeee...

4. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    My list is semi short

TFA - new stuff if/when we ever see them
    Uni - Smokecreen, Dino, Inferno, Red Alert
    ROTF - Human Alliance figs and anything that is cool in the movie, none of the expanded uiniverse crap,
    MP - Grimlock

5. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    a G1 collector has no money saving periods

6. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    Quite the opposite. The ROTF toys are going to bankrupt me. And I'm no completist, I only buy the ones I like and skip repaints if I already have the mold.

7. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Money is not saved here only gathered and bartered.

I'm trying to cooperate some lost funds so i can finish some troop building enterprises.

7x Universe Darkwind.
    and 3x g.i. Joe modern era ghost hawk.

I really intend on stopping the troop building soon though. Which will save money.

8. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Twitter:
    I'm already done buying figures....just really need to locate a Universe 2.0 Hot Shot and Dinobot and I'll be done with the Deluxe Line.

Animated I'm pretty much calling it quits,haven't found the figures I've been really wanting since they came out and I'm just not really into the Animated line that much anymore.

I will be avoiding the movie line only Sideswipe is the only one I would like to get. I got suckered in big time due to the hype in the first movie and bought a ton of em then sold em once I realized how FUGLY they were. Thank goodness for the Toy Fair showing off the stuff that easily helps me decide if I even want to continue collecting TF.

And I do collect a ton more lines and figures so I may continue to go back to Star Wars figures since they seem cheap enough but not sure I need any more clones I've had 3 army sized collections so far and I've traded/sold em all just about.

I may just focus on my Anime Gashapon Figures.....I'd rather get me a Code Geass DX C.C figure than a ROTF Transformer for sure....those Anime figures cost me a good bit just with shipping...and not to mention collecting the old Star Trek Playmates Figures/Vehicles from the 90's....

So sorry hasbro you aren't getting anymore of my money anymore....

9. Plastic Man

Plastic Man The Man in Black

More for me. Yay!

10. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

I might not be buying most of the ROTF figures, but I won't be saving myself any money.

Between whatever Henkei versions I fancy, custom projects, building up the Starscream Shrime, and maybe searching for HoC figures I missed out on...

I'm still going to be broke at the end of the day.

11. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Let's see, I still need Animated Waspy and Samurai Prowl...unless the wife has found them during her trip to WM today. :)  I'm passing on MP Grimlock for now, anticipating a more affordable Hasbro version down the line. As for ROTF...I'll probably pick up the new characters, and that new Leader Prime is badass, so probably him, too. In a weak moment, I'll also probably get Leader Megs. In all, though, I don't see much coming that's gonna compel me to spend as much as I have been.

Of course, 6 months from now, I'll look back at this post and laugh at how foolish I was.

12. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Yes, the only ROTF purchase I have planned is Baron Ransack Von Joy. That's it.

If Animated continues, then I'll be getting most of them. I also plan on getting Darkwind and Countdown.

So, with what we know is coming for this year, 3 toys that aren't scheduled for release this month. (Henkei Smokescreen, Target Shockwave and Sunstorm)

13. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 PlastiqueBoutique.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I don't think I'm going to be getting many of the movie toys, except for devy and Jetfire/Prime (depending on how they look)... of course I said the same thing about Animated too and I see how that worked out. Damn plastic crack!

14. Starscream2008

Starscream2008 Megatron sucks!

I won't be buying many movie toys either, I do not like the aesthetic at all. I might buy a couple, like Sideswipe(especially if they come out with a G1 coloured one), and Leader Prime, but that's about it. I seriously hope they come out with a ton of different TFA Season 3 characters. Otherwise, it's time to start saving for Botcon Exclusives and maybe get some more original G1 figures. It will be very good for my collection value this year methinks...

15. KARR

KARR Roving Robot

I had thought about doing this as well through BBTS, but now he's sold out there. I picked mine up at TRU this past week for $50, he's definitely worth it.

As for what I'm going to be purchasing for the remainder of '09—I skipped Animated all together, and I may do the same with ROTF. What I really wanted was another leader class Decepticon with an earth-style alt mode; which is why I love '07 leader class Brawl. Other than that, still need to get Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, Countdown, and then wait for news from Botcon to see what the Classics/Universe 3.0 line up will be!

16. brianstowell

brianstowell Awesomebot

News Credits:
    I think I went a solid year during the first Bayformers movie period without buying a single Transformer toy from a store. I'll buy whatever Animated and Universe stuff comes out, but no movie toys for me ever. No thank you. I'll use this time to build up my G1 collection or my tattoo collection.

17. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very true. I don't think I'll be saving money even though I only plan on picking up Sideswipe from the movie. I'll try to purchase (if I can scrape up the cash) MP Grimlock and Alternity Convoy. Some random G1 bots will more than likely be bought as well when I see a good deal in the Junkion or on eBay

18. SpeedBreaker

SpeedBreaker DESTRON NEW LEADER

I haven't bought a single Animated figure so I've already saved myself a ton of money thanks. :thumb 

19. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    I'm far from done, but for new product? Yes. I need to catch up on Animated (don't have Sentinel Prime, Swoop, Activators cliffjumper, Ultra Magnus, Starscream, Leader Bulkhead, Skywarp, Shockwave, Wreck-Gar, Sunstorm, Blurr, Swindle and Waspinator) and Universe Dinobot and Cyclonus. The new Leader Prime and scout Ranscak. Other then that, I'm good for transformers for a while unless there's new Animated product announced. Hasbro's getting my money anyway since I'll blowing more on Marvel Universe Fury Files and 3.75 inch Wolverine Origins

20. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    1st time around, I wanted them all. Now that I've learned from that experience (not every fig is really worth having - i.e. Movie Jazz :thumbdown ), I'm going to be more selective of which ones I get.