Anybody else about to save a ton of money on toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by lebowski, Mar 12, 2009.

1. lebowski

lebowski The Dude abides

It looks like for the first time since Energon, I won't be making toy runs.

I am NOT getting snookered into buying movie toys this time around. I ended up hating 90% of what I bought the first time. Leader Prime might tempt me, but that's it. I haven't seen anything - including Prime - that's made me say "wow, that looks really cool".

I preordered Classics Hot Shot and Ratchet from HTS, so I'm finished with that line.

I have Samurai Prowl and Waspinator. I'll get Target Sunstorm and maybe Shockwave. Unless something else is confirmed I'll be done with Animated.

I'll be skipping Encore Cassettes 1, will get Bruticus and Encore Cassettes 2. I'd like to get Masterpiece Grimlock, but I think it's out of the range I'd like to pay.

So by my count, I'll be buying about 4 more TF's in 2009. I'm sure that I'm like many of you - hopelessly addicted. This is going to be a new experience for me. With the economy though, it's probably coming at the right time.

Anyone else in the same boat?

2. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Having skipped the Animated toyline, I anxiously look forward to the return of the movie toy aesthetic and plan on purchasing many of them.

3. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Yeah I'm all but done myself. All that I'm waiting on are Henkei Red Alert and Smokescreen which are already paid for, Henkei Dinobot and Hotshot and MP Grimlock which are not paid for, and the TRU exclusive Countdown and Darkwing.

Other than those, I'm done, which is a weird feeling actually. I may end up buying a few things here and there that I haven't picked up yet(like Henkei Ultras) so I'm not totally left out of the collecting loop, but the movie stuff? Big ol pass for me, sorry Hasbro.

4. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    no but I did save alot by switching to Geico

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Barring the Bludgeon repaint of Wreckage, I'm not buying anything from the Movie-verse toyline. Unless any new Decepticon toys are released for the Animated line, I won't be bothering with it, either.

6. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MP Gromlock, Alternity Prime, Henkei Red Alert, and Animated Wreck-Gar, Sunstorm, Dirge, and I'm all caught up. Well maybe Superion if those hands and feet are cheap. It's pretty bitter sweet for me, but theres no way I'll spend dime on any real TFTM II crap.

7. billcosby

billcosby Geewin

News Credits:
    Whatever Bruticus is priced, he's worth it.

8. lebowski

lebowski The Dude abides

I should say that I wasn't trying to dis the movie line - just saying it's going to be weird for me personally to not be collecting for the first time in like 7 years.

It's kind of a perfect storm for me too. I also collect GI Joe 25th (they're done) and Powell Peralta skateboard reissues (nothing coming out that I don't already have for the next 6 months). Maybe I'll actually do something productive with this extra cash. :dunce 

9. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, actually. As of right now I'm passing on the majority of the RotF line. I'm not buying into the hype and buying a bunch of God awful toys that I'm just going to resell a year from now like I did with the first movie (I literally only have about five figures from the first movie left not counting the store exclusive repaints). At present there's only five figures that I'm currently interested in (Deluxe Breakaway, Scout Dead End, Scout Dirt Boss, Scout Knockout & Voyager The Fallen) other then that... nothing else interests me from the line. I just don't dig the aesthetic enough to jump in head first again.

That said... the rest of the year I'll probably be getting whatever Animated comes out that I'm interested in. Looking forward to the Target exclusive Sunstorm and if Arcee & Blackout are going to be released I'll be all over them as well.

I've currently got Henkei Ratchet and Universe Hot Shot en route from BBTS so I'm almost done with that line... the only thing left for me is Henkei Red Alert in April (as Hasbro has said that there will be no Universe version of the character at this time... though I would bet that he'll probably launch Universe 3.0 or he could end up a store exclusive during the RotF line, but I'm not going to wait for their 'What If' specials). Oh, and Henkei Strafe will be mine as well as he comes out around my B-Day. I'll probably also pick up whatever store exclusives get released for Universe as well (like TRU Countdown & Darkwing).

If I like Alternity Convoy (also on the way from BBTS) I may pick up Alternity Megatron and MP Grimlock is definitely worth the purchase (I can totally understand why some think he's too much right now with the current economy).

Other than that small amount of stuff... I'm mainly looking forward to the various Garage Company offerings this year. The upcoming trailers from Best Toys and the Gears of War set from TFC are currently on preorder and I'm waiting patiently for a preorder for FanProject's G3 Trailer. Add to that the announcement of the new God Sword and FanProject's 'Protector' upgrade for Hot Rod. This is probably where the majority of my money that would have went to RotF will be going.

So, I guess I'm not entirely out of the collecting loop. I just won't be dishing out as much money to Hasbro as I would have had the mainline for the year been something I actually cared about.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  10. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    :lol 

I'll be pretty active. Probably get as many movie figs as I can.

11. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I'll be cutting back a lot, neverreally did animated, move I'll only get what I like which isn't much so far and the last of univese to come out of jap and I'll be done with that til it re starts.

12. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Even though I do like some of the toys I saw from the movie line, I will most likely skipped on all of them except Megs, Devastator, and maybe Soundwave. Right now the only TFs I really want this year are:

MP Grimlock
    Henkei Thrust
    Henkei Dirge
    Henkei Thundercracker
    Animated Skywarp and TC (if it's released)
    Classics Legends of Beachcomb, Cosmos, Warpath, and Wheelie.

And most of them are very expensive so I may just take my time getting them. Come to think of it I also want MP TC and Skywarp so it looks like I'll be saving money for a long time for them.

13. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

Yeah, TF and Joe switching to moive crap(most of it is, except a Prime here or there and maybe the Wreckage repaint and a Snake Eyes) ML is dead till next year unless the nemesis wave actually hits the states sometime soon, guess it'll be NECA, DC and import/older figs for me this year( i can get the best of Kill Bill Gogo WOOT! and MSIA Wing Zero! )

14. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I'm pretty much in neutral on figures until the movie comes out... not the movie line, the movie itself as I will be holding off to save money for a convention. I'm only after a few more figures that are out now, Wreck Gar and Beachcomber, but passed that I've got everything else or I'm waiting to see when things will actually come out.

But after June 19, there will be epic splurging.

15. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was going to say yes to this but I have some older stuff I would like to catch up on so during the movie toys period I will be getting some TFC I missed out on. I have Henkei Thrust and Dirge paid for working on saving up for MP Grimlock now then just a couple Universe/Henkei left and I'm done. Need a reissue Hot Rod, Kup & Hound but again I will just find them during this downtime.

16. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been buying a lot. I'll also be getting these this year:

MP Grimlock
    HENKEI:
    Minibots
    Smokescreen
    Red Alert
    Hot Rodimus
    Ligier
    Skyfire
    Thrust
    Dirge

Encore Combaticons X2

Leader Class ROTF Prime and maybe Megatron

And if I still have money by then, I'll have a bunch of TFA too.

17. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm fairly conservative when it comes to collecting toys. If it's not a shade away from G1, it's usually an easy pass from me. Hence, I only seem to cherry-pick certain Henkeis. Though not as economical as Hasbro's releases, I'd much rather buy a few "premium" figures than a lot of regular ones. This lets me allocate more funds towards the more unique figures that, while significantly more expensive, aren't released as frequently, such as garage shop custom jobs and MP Grimlock.

My roadmap for the rest of the year looks something like this:

-Henkei Dinobot
    -MP Grimlock
    -Henkei Smokescreen (I didn't want another Prowl mold, but the deco looks so good!)
    -Henkei Red Alert (Maybe, but I really don't want another Sunstreaker mold)
    -RotF Leader Prime (Though I might hold out for a Takara version)

-Anything FansProject cooks up.

-Additional Henkeis are subject to scrutiny.

-I couldn't care less for A/E/C derivitives, other movie toys or Animated.

18. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Here's my list:

Universe Ratchet

Movie Wreckage/Whirl
    Maybe more movie stuff that's not actually from the movie (I dislike the movie aesthetic and only liked figures such as Longarm and Wreckage)

Nothing else!
    yay!

19. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Pretty much in the same boat with you OP. Aside from Leader Prime and Human Alliance Bumblebee, I have no interest in the movie stuff. And for the former, I'll probably hold off for the premium versions. Don't collect Animated either.

My wish list for the remainder of the year:

- MP Grimlock (paid off w/ BBTS credit)
    - MP Thundercracker (waiting for a good price)
    - Henkei Inferno
    - Henkei Minibots (paid off)
    - Henkei Red Alert (paid off)
    - Henkei Smokecreen (paid off)
    - USA Edition Powerglide
    - Encore Bruticus (will hold off until discounted)
    - Universe Unicron (wait for clearance)

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I'm definitely going to try to avoid impulse buying toys I don't like the looks of like I did with the first Movie line and Animated. For the rest of the year my definite purchases are going to be Universe Hot Shot and Ratchet, Animated Wreck-Gar, MP Grimlock, Henkei Red Alert (if Hasbro doesn't announce one soon...I'm not holding my breath there), MAYBE Encore Bruticus, and a few movie line toys, most notably Sideswipe, Sideways, the Fallen, Soundwave and probably HA Bumblebee and Leader Prime, Megs and Jetfire. If I do end up finding myself impulse buying I'll try to keep it to the scout size class.