Anybody catch Pirate Master?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Night Flame, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

My wife and I gave up on Survivor about two seasons ago as it's all starting to feel very "acted," if you know what I mean. Probably because everybody on the show is a famewhore, hoping that someone sees how brilliantly they play a "character" and picks them up for a 'real' acting gig. But, for some reason, the concept of Pirate Master appealed to us enough to give it a shot.

I'm not one hundred percent certain we should have.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it was entertaining. Unfortunately for the show's future, for all the wrong reasons.

I can pretty much sum up the problems of the show by chatting about just the "Pirate Court" scene at the end of the show. "All pirates to midship" is called. It's raining. A torrential downpour. They walk to midships in the rain.

Suddenly everyone is perfectly dry and not a spec of water is to be seen anywhere but off the side of the boat, the moonlight reflecting gracefully across the water. Then the camera pans "up" to show the clouds almost completely obscuring the moon. Then it pans back down to the pirate court and the perfectly dry, well lit crew, and the full reflection of the moon on the water.

And to say that final scene was HORRIBLY overacted would be an understatement of epic proportions. The captain and the guy calling for mutiny were the most obviously over-acting people I've ever seen on the tube, and I like B and even C list movies specifically for the horrible acting. It's entertaining to watch people that suck at something when they think they're doing really, really good at it. But these two were painful to watch.

I'm thinking we may make this our Thursday night thing. It's like Survivor at sea without any of the pretense of it being a reality show. I can get drunk and watch it just like I watch wrestling, bitching about the horrible booking and the lousy acting. Should be awesome to see how the advertised arrogant captain angle plays out.

Anybody else catch this?

2. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Me and my girlfriend watched it last night.

Probably wont watch it again.

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Is it a reality show? Never heard of it.

4. Night Flame

It's supposed to be. But no, I don't believe for a moment that it is an actual "reality" show. It had more hokey Hollywood moments than most soap operas, and worse production values.

5. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Watched about 5 minutes and couldn't stand any more.

6. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Starting to think that digging post holes and missing this show was a good idea last night.

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    There needs to be a pirates vs. ninjas reality show.

8. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

I had it on while I was playing a game. Kind of pathetic that they got rid of the backstabber right at the beginning of the show. No real reason to watch it anymore.

9. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I saw the trailer for this on Sky and nearly wept.

I swear programme makers have a "tombola TV creator" full of cards. They spin the drum and take out two of them. In this case one had "reality show" on and the other said "pirates" (And that got put in because 'pirates' are so popular with the 'unwashed plebs' right now aren't they??).
    Combine the two and we have a winning formula!

10. Night Flame

Oh, I don't know. Ruper. . . I mean, uh, that guy that looks like Rupert is still there, and he seems pretty charismatic. However, that also brings me to my original theory which I've heard repeated by others. This show was brought about by the Survivor management team saying, "People liked Rupert because he 'pirated' supplies. So let's put together a pirate show. Oh, and hey, just to make sure we get the right demographic, let's get a guy that look absolutely identical to Rupert and try to play him as the nice guy."

I have a feeling Rupert II is going to turn into a backstabbing, cutthroat at some point though.

And honestly, if that Pirate Court wasn't held in a TV studio, with a pre-recorded ocean in the background, I'll eat my shorts right here.

I'll say this for that backstabber dude, he did an awesome job of playing the evil soap opera star. He even had the absolutely horrible over-acting bit down.

11. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy SeƱor Member TFW2005 Supporter

I started to watch it about 10 mins into the show and i couldn't tell at first if it was a reality show or not... everyone looked like they were trying to remember lines, i quickly turned the channel.

12. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I might watch it for a while. Was playing a handheld DS game more than anything. After it was over I watched Fletch.

13. Night Flame

My wife can't decide if they were trying to remember lines, or just pausing and thinking before speaking so as to come up with the best line possible. Kind of like a really, really horrible improv show.

Unfortunately, I can't give it that much benefit of the doubt. I say they were trying to remember lines. Or the studio lights were in their eyes and they were having a hard time reading the teleprompters.

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Some reality. Flava Flav > this.

15. Night Flame

Come now, that dark haired Fabio look alike is better than Flava Flav.

16. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Adventures in Hollyhood > Flava Flav > Pirate Master

17. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

I couldn't help but laugh at the whole Scientist/Exotic Dancer description of the guy who got kicked off.

18. Night Flame

OK, forgive me for pulling up a zombie post but I didn't figure this one warranted a new thread.

For the second time in history, a reality show contestant has taken their own life. Now, I realize this will bring on a plethora of "good. They should all do that anyway." But for some reason this one struck me as very, VERY weird. Her SO took his own life when the show was on the air, and now she's taken her own life after leaving a bunch of messages via MySpace to the other cast members wishing them well in the future.

Gave me a weird feeling finding out about this. Before the show went off the air it actually became somewhat interesting. Not great, but interesting. And finding out that the one person on the show who probably didn't have anything MASSIVE to be ashamed of took her own life was just really, really strange.