Any way to change the time limit for Searchs?

Discussion in 'TFW2005 Tech Support' started by Sy-Rein, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Hi, I've dealt with this for awhile but I've got to ask because it's a real pain in the...

Is there any way to change the time limit imposed on searchs? Currently you have to wait 1 minute between ANY search. So if I'm looking for an item in the for sale section (for example), I search the item and no results appear. So now I have to wait another full minute before I can refine my search and try again. So lets say again I get no results, another minute has to go by before I can try something different. Does this really make sense?

I do realise that this is in place to limit certain things from happening on the forum, I'm sure. But can we make the time limit 20 seconds, maybe even 30 seconds? It sure would save a great deal of hassle.

Another example here is I was searching for my wanted thread and knowing that it hasnt gotten a reply in awhile, I figured I'd simply type in the title of my thread in the search. Now guess what, nothing came up. Ok fine, so I go to my user profile and 'find threads by user', oh wait, right I have to wait another minute before I can do so.

Right regular pain the arse for something so simple.

Please, is there something you fine mod's can do to change this small nuisance to an otherwise fantastic and enjoyable forum?

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    That time limit is one of the settings to help ensure a smooth server performance. Shortening it by even half can cause severely degraded performance (it has in the past), especially when you have a few hundred to a thousand doing the same thing. I know it's annoying, but better that than the server timing out repeatedly.

3. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Blah that sucks. But if that's the case, I can understand the necessity.

Now go get a faster server so it can be changed. :p 

Oh btw, thanks for the info and quick reply.

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    For your Wants thread, I suggest subscribing to the thread, then if you go into your user control panel it will be right there under your subscriptions. I've done it with threads I need to find quickly, it's a pretty reliable way to do it.