Customs: Any tutorial on strengthening loose thigh joint on MP 10?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Jonathan Lukito, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Jonathan Lukito

Jonathan Lukito New Member

So, after so, so long searching the stores for a good MP-10, i finally got one in reasonable price and condition..

but it came with a caveat, all the joints are reasonably tight (the neck swivel is frighteningly hard) aaaand his left leg droops at the thighs.. but only the sideways friction (the forward and backward ratchets are tight)..

so i've been searching for a tutorial in opening one, but can't seem to find one.. is it hard? i've tried quite a few things but the gap is just too small, even for a 80 gsm copy paper, or a nail polish brush to get in..

any help would be wonderful, thanks peeps..

2. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Sorry, what are you trying to do with the paper or nail brush?

For tightening a joint, it depends on why exactly it's loose. Is the plastic and the joint good but just a little loose or is the joint coming apart? If it's good but just a little loose the solution many of us, myself included, swear by is to use future floor polish on the parts that touch. Give it 24 hours to fully cure before reassembling the joint. If you're not able to disassemble it, it's often enough to drizzle the liquid polish into the joint, crank it back and forth a few times to work it in, and then leave it for 24 hours to cure. Because future is an acrylic based floor polish, it creates a fairly sturdy coat that thickens the parts that need friction. It may wear off over time if you use the joint a lot but you can just reapply it. Try not to get it anywhere visible - it doesn't hurt the plastic but it's very glossy so you'll want to avoid getting it anywhere you don't want shiny.

If you have any questions, let us know or you can search the forums: there have extensive tutorials on future and people have also posted their experiments with it. It's invaluable to a transformer collector who wants to maintain joint tightness. It also works really well if you want to do a nice gloss clear coat of any parts and some of us might it with acrylic paints to thin them and make them glossy.

3. Jonathan Lukito

no no, what i mean is i used my wife's nail polish, but the brush did not able to go inside the thigh gap.. ditto with the paper.. hence i'm looking for a tutorial in opening MP10's legs.. because i've heard there's springs and other wonderfully small things to watch out for..

4. Jonathan Lukito

here's a picture about the offending part...
    IMG_20180206_1552572.jpg