Any tips for preventing yellowing and discoloration?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by BarBoBot, Jun 2, 2011.

1. BarBoBot

BarBoBot Well-Known Member

When I lived with my parents, I was in the basement, so I never worried about the sun damaging my stuff, but now every room at my place get lots of indirect sunlight.

Does anyone cover their windows?

Maybe keep your collection shelves covered?

Will indirect sunlight damage plastic?

My classics and MP/alternators are the only things I have displayed currently and for now, I have my Bookcase style shelves covered with black cloth to keep them basically in the dark all day.

I'm curious to see what everyone else does to prevent sun damage.

2. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    I just keep my shades closed 24/7/365.

3. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have very little, if any, scientific knowledge about the best way to prevent light damage, and I suspect my efforts only offset the inevitable. However, I take a few basic precautions:

1. Keep displayed figures, especially those with white plastic, out of direct sunlight.
    2. Figures on display are kept under plexiglass, which I'm told blocks some UV radiation, but also to keep out dust.
    3. All other figures are kept in dark, cool and dry storage spaces, and similarly dust-proofed.

4. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

hmm.car care stuffs maybe? You know,those vinyl/dashboard polish. Have yet to confirm with the Mythbusters though..

5. BarBoBot

BarBoBot Well-Known Member

I definitely keep all my stuff out of any direct sunlight, but what about indirect sunlight?

Even with my shades closed, my toy room is pretty lit up during the day.

Am I crazy for thinking about completely blacking out the windows in there?

6. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

In my terms, yes you are

A little bit of sunshine wouldn't hurt, IMHO

7. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Nope. They don't call it a man cave for nothing.

8. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

ZeeeRO sunlight in my computer room! I've got cellular shades (foil type/Levolor) and thick black curtains on top of that :D 

Another thing to consider is that crappy yellow incandescent lighting. It yellows paper, it will surely yellow your TF's! I have a dimmer in my room. I keep it very dim when I have TF's out.

Remember, reg glass will filter out some of the harmful stuff. I don't have a display case for my G1's yet, but when I do get one, it will have special glass that provides extra protection. Either that, or I'll just tint the glass!! A very light tint of course :lol 

9. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Sunlight is the enemy. Dust hurts too but I don't know if it actually discolours a figure.

I have the window in my colelction room blocked off by cabinets so the only light they see is when I turn on the light to go in the room.

Keep them away from blastic bags. I put a bunch of Storm Troopers in Zip lock bags and they all discoloured.

10. LifePincher

Ha ha, I've heard some people defend their doorless display cases or shelves of Transformers, saying that the dust adds a layer of protection :crazy: 
    If storing TF's, think Baseball cards and Comic Books!! Acid free is the key. Reg. Ziploc's are a bad idea.

My G1's are in a closet for the time being. I have yet to find a good case for them. Ikea Detolf= no go....... Non adjustable shelves and it won't fit my Fort Max!

Ikea did have a case I was going to buy.......ASPVIK! It was about double the price of the Detolf, adjustable shelves, lockable door, was taller, deeper and wider. Put that crappy Detolf to shame. I go to purchase the case and they don't make it any more! Total WIN! :banghead: 

11. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    IKEA Billy Shelf. These are the shelves I use and they are adjustable. I have my RID Fort Max on it.

12. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

Oh my .Mine is stored in a Detolf alrite.would it be okay if I out in some tint film? (Sudden fear of getting figures yellowed arghkkk)

But seriously, has anyone tried vinyl protectant for cars to be used on their Tf? Mythbuster,please?

13. LifePincher

Just research car window tinting or go to any place that does it and look at what's available.
    As for Vinyl protectant......... Steer clear!!! There is some good stuff that has no petroleum distillates in it , but I wouldn't even use that!

I use this stuff for my Mazda6. It's a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for...... 303 Products, Inc.: 303 Aerospace Protectant

Looks like you can get a free sample from the link.

14. LifePincher

The link I provided........ They say Free Sample, yea' right. You have to Pay the $7.00 shipping :rolleyes: 

That is not FREE!!!!!

15. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

yikes. that is certainly a GREAT way of marketing and at the same time scaring your potential customers

16. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

Aye a man cave should be dark and smell of beer and old spice.

17. LifePincher

Subtract Old Spice, add a 50" Plasma, a 24" pc monitor, a Budweiser mirror and a Doc's hard lemonade neon sign...... Boom goes the Dynamite!