Customs: Any safe way to remove stripes/designs/etc...?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Sarrow, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Sarrow

Sarrow Well-Known Member

I just got alt Skids today and his flame designs got me thinking....thinking how much better I'd like him without the flames!

So has anyone ever found a way to safely remove the raised stripes/designs on alternators without messing up the base paint?

I've had success with 70% alcohol before with some old BW TFs, but before trying anything on a $20 figure I'd like to get some feedback.

2. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

It was recommended to me to use Brasso, which you can find in Walmarts, grocery stores, etc. It's a smallish rectangular alluminum can/flask, and it's great because it doesn't mess with the plastic or fog up clear parts. Only issue you have to be careful about is if the plastic surface is painted beyond the decos. (Alt. Prowl's car shell is molded in black or clear and painted white, for example) In which case, you can still strip off decos, just be careful as you get to the next paint layer.

Also recommended, rubbing alcohol. Needs a little more elbow grease, but it works. Same issues with painted surfaces, though it takes longer to get to it.

3. Sarrow

Sarrow Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. Come to think of it, I seem to recall seeing Brasso listed somewhere else for stripping paint or some purpose. Isn't it an old brand of metal polish? I think my dad used to have some a long time ago.

4. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's for brass and silver (and other uses listed). Been around for-like-ever or something. :wink: 

But it's great stuff.

5. TFmaster

TFmaster Lord of the Scalple

You can also use paint/airbrush thinner.

It's what I always use but keep in mind that you have to rub alot to get the paint off.

TFM

6. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I found out something surprising that worked on my Skids, of all things it was the alcohol based hand sanitizer. My trick was letting it sit for a bit on the surface and then using a q-tip to rub off the flaming flames.

7. Sarrow

Sarrow Well-Known Member

Awesome :D  I have some of that stuff so it sounds like it's worth a shot. I just didn't want to get into anything too powerful and end up taking off more than the flames. This is great though that you've actually tried it on the figure in question and it worked!

8. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I would try rubbing alcohol, lighter fluid, or the alcohol-based hand sanitizer recommended above. Brasso has some good solvents in it, but it also has fine solid particles that could dull the plastic.

9. ShadowKing

ShadowKing Let's all make POOP!

I have used de-Natured Alcohol. You can pick it up in Wal-Mart around the paints. Be WARNED it will strip paint, I used it on an Alt. Prowl kitbash I’m doing and it stripped the white paint with minimal amount of rubbing.

10. Sarrow

Sarrow Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'll probably start with the hand sanitizer then alcohol then brasso... I'll post back with results. May not be for a day or so though since it's back to work tomorrow :( 

11. Skyfire42

Skyfire42 Member

Removing Skids Flames

Hey i know this is an old thread, but if you haven't stripped that Skids yet there is easy way to remove ONLY the flames is with some Nailpolish remover and a Q-tip.

Yup it's that easy... Well not really but it is easy.

I just got mine 2 days ago, and removed the flames today. Went through about 8 Q-tips (change often to prevent smearing), and a bit of NailPolish remover.

Just pour some in the Remover cap, Dip the Q-tips and rub. No more Flames, and the rest of the paint stays on just fine.

I'll try and post pics later.
    -Sky

12. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Acetone will melt plastic very quickly if you aren't careful and it's the main ingredient in nail polish remover. I would actually recomend against using it.

13. kissmekillme

kissmekillme Well-Known Member

Haven't tried this on a Skids since I like the flames, but here's a nifty trick that works on at least some paint aps like the tampo'd faction logos: A pencil eraser. Plain old pink pencil eraser. Rub for awhile and it at least takes faction symbols of without any harm to anything else.

14. ShadowKing

ShadowKing Let's all make POOP!

You can try 90% Isopropyl acohol, it works great and is inexpensive! (You have to get -->90%<-- its found around the medicines and vitamins in Wal-mart, you can use 70% but its not as good.)