Any resources for filling holes in RotF's story?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Ultimate Matt X, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Ultimate Matt X

Ultimate Matt X Well-Known Member

Is there any kind of resource available that helps explain some of the gaps in the story of RotF? I've read some of the comics and novels, but I still wonder things like why is the Fallen just hanging around on the Decepticon ship or other things like that.

I know it may just be bad writing, but I thought maybe something has been compiled explaining issues in the movie with use from its supporting material.

If not can you guys think of any of the major issues and how they're explained or not explained?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I think the TF Wiki compiles plenty of information that fills the gaps in. You just have to know where to look.

3. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    you can't just draw your own conclusions? that's all anyone else would be doing.

4. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    There's only so much official material to pick at for info, and plenty of questions to be had. Once you've seen the films, read the materials, and drawn some of your own conclusions, I say listen to fellow fans on some ideas. Establish answers to your questions that you like based on everything. There's absolutely zero wrong with enriching gaps in the fiction you enjoy with your own imaginative solutions.

5. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I agree, just use your own imagination.

Unless something is explicitly stated of course, but then it's not really a 'gap' then is it?

6. Kungfu Dinobot

Kungfu Dinobot Well-Known Member

ROTF does not have as much holes as some comtemporary G1 comics from what I've read, anyways, and it is strongly inadvisable to get worked up over some crappy action-flick.

So, just forget it, like you'd forget plot holes in comedies;) 

7. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    A lot of them are easily fillable with common sense.

8. Ultimate Matt X

Ultimate Matt X Well-Known Member

I'm not worked up or anything and can come to my own conclusions, just thought if anything was compiled it might be an interesting read. I'll check the Wiki out though and see what all is there.

9. Evil_the_Nub

Evil_the_Nub Well-Known Member

This

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Unfortunately in short supply for most TF fans around here.

Like what was the Fallen doing on the ship? Probably gathering his strength, as he appeared quite frail up until the moment that Prime died, wheren he seemed empowered by the revelation, and I assume he was the one who rallied that massive invasion to look for the Matrix, to which common logic would assume he oversaw/took part in.

11. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I still would like to know what some of these "so called" plot holes are >_>

12. Covenant

Ebay:
    :lol 

13. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    "Plot Hole" seems to have been redefined as "stuff I didn't like."

The Fallen coming from nowhere isn't a plot hole.

Optimus Prime randomly being alive and chilling at the NEST base would be a plot hole.

14. Covenant

Ebay:
    Hardly, m'man. There were fun & exciting things in RotF, so I don't hate it. In fact, Bayformers has sparked further interest in Tranformers for my son, and my wife loves it, so it's helped enjoy the hobby in the family. Parachute farting, Wheelie-leg-humping, Momma Witwicky supposedly being stoned but acting like she's drunk, Devastator's scrotum - or Dev in general, the Twins, etc are all things I don't like, but I don't equate those to 'plot holes' of any kind...well, I take at least one of those back. Devastator's balls. They were only hanging as a scrotum for a few seconds then not present beyond that.

Then there's the plot hole that was set in the end of the first film and carried over into this one; The Battle of Mission City. Thousands of people present and watching, in an age with all sorts of cameras and cell phone videos, and we're suppose to accept it was somehow kept hush-hush?

Additionally there's the swiss cheese that is geography. Simmons standing at one end of Petra, then making mere minutes of a drive to Cairo without so much as one of those daytime-nighttime-daytime lighting cycles usually associated with the Bayformers world. Or better yet, how about walking into the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum in DC, then walking out into Tucson, AZ? I know it's nothing new filming in one location, like a mountainous region, then passing those mountains off for another location, but the obviousness of this one is laughable.

Why did Simmon's radio start working again just in time to contact that uber-secret Navy vessel? I thought all radio contact was down in the immediate area.

And don't get me started on that magic-railgun-bullet-asspull.

As well, when Megatron is to be resurrected, the sonar picks up five signals descending, then six rising. This would be fine had one of the Constructicons not been ripped apart for parts.

And how about Bumblebee's voice? Sure, sure, 'He's playing it up' or whatever the line is. But for the whole film?

During the final battle, where does Sam's bandage & extra sock come from?

And Soundwave; How does one satellite receive transmissions from everywhere on the planet?

How is it possible a pyramid more explored than most other structures in the world is able to house a huge sun-killing alien machine and no one is the wiser all this time?

And those are just a few. Now, before anyone jumps that reply button and bangs on their keyboard, yes I realize the majority of these issues have already been discussed. Yes, filming takes viewers through one scene that was really shot in multiple locations, but it doesn't make location-jumping any less a viable plot hole when it's so damn obvious. And yeah I get that Bee using his radio to utter things endears him a bit better, and I don't even have a problem with that, but still, come on. For much of the rest, sure there's plenty of fans-planations established more or less to explain, I've participated in as many as anyone else. But fans coming to conclusions on questions doesn't negate the idea of a plot hole entirely.

Yes, I realize people who genuinely despise Bayformers through & through in every aspect will occasionally attack as they see fit, but on the flipside there will always be 'over-defenders'. Those who slap 'Geewun' labels, weave through valid points of others to justify this & that, or make false claims (like saying someone who found a plot hole in a film is saying so just because it's an item they don't like).

Just sayin'.

15. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Watch, someone's gonna come in babbling about the comic tie-ins.

16. Covenant

Ebay:
    Which we all know casual movie goers do their homework on both before & after seeing a movie..

17. deceptihunter

deceptihunter sssssmmmmokin!

Hey everybody, this is something that bothered me from the start. At the end of movie 1 didn't bumblebee get his voice back? like someone else was saying, why the world didn't he use it?!

Also, where did Scorpinok come from? Optimus killed grindor in the woods battle scene, so doesn't Scorpinok tag along with grindor? That bothered me too when i first heard that annoying scorpinok whirling sound again!

18. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

Skorponok wasn't killed in ther first movie, just went back underground..

19. Covenant

Ebay:
    Well, in the beginning of the film, right after Bee 'saves' the Witwicky's from the little Allspark kitchen monsters, a question is asked regarding if there's something broken with his voice again, and an answer like 'He's playing it up' is given. Now given the tone of the scene where Bee is likely looking for some sympathy points after blowing the shit out of the house, it could be understandable. But that would be for that scene, not the whole film. No explanation is given in movie except for that weak line. And while you can take into account that Bee's inability to speak but through the radio can help endear everything he 'says' to the viewer, it's still a bit lazy imo.

Hell, the whole idea doesn't make much sense to me at all. Megatron was melted through by the Allspark in the last film, Scorponok had his tail blown off. Then this film all it takes is a few parts to fix the inner workings of a Cybertronian tyrant like Megatron, and Scorpy shows up with a newly grown/repaired tail. In the prequel books it was shown that Megatron ripped off Bee's entire arm, then slightly crushed his throat. So these Cybertronians can reformat entirely within a second to accomodate their robotic form, inner workings, and perfect mimmic ability of any vehicle, reattach arms, replaced melted metal inner workings underwater with scrap, and regrow body parts apparently, but a throat? A fucking speaker can't be fixed?

What a load.

20. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Optimus clearly states in Movie 1 they are organisms. Organisms can receive permanent injuries (see: Ironhide's eye). And there is real world precedent for a "fucking speaker that can't be fixed". Read up on the hip hop artist DOC. or Roger Ebert for that matter.