Customs: Any pictures of classic Thundercracker\Skywarp

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by chazparks, Dec 28, 2006.

1. chazparks

chazparks Well-Known Member

Has anyone changed their Starscream into one of the other jets? What do they look like?

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    search this forum. (search link is right above the list of threads) there's quite a few. OR you could click the flashy button on the left for our sub-site, transformersclassics.com, where we have all the currently hosted classics customs.

3. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
  4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Those are Boggs6ft7's seekers. The symbols are Reprolabels' faction symbols. He just bought the set that is on a clear backing :) 

5. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

dammit redline, I was going to make up some story about making my own silkscreen to put those on and how much time it took....

But yeah, they are just stickers from reprolabels with a clear backing. I like the clear because it makes them look more like they were painted on.

6. chazparks

I'm thinking of going for a split wing color of purple and black. Is there any reason why most of these repaints have a solid color wing with two strips instead of just color swapping classic Starscream colors?

7. Boggs6ft7

I wanted mine to look G1 Cartoon/comic, I think that is the reason most people chose that color scheme.

and I also hate the classics starscream paint layout.

8. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Classics Starscream's color pattern is pure ass incarnated into paint form. That's one reason...

Ummmm... My Classics seekers:
    Thundercracker
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Skywarp
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
    Wow, those are awesome, man. I love the matte finish look on 'Cracker and Skywarp.

10. chazparks

What kind of purple paint is best to use?

I've picked up a the purple in the brand I had been using for touch up work on other figures but it clotting and turning out more black than purple.

11. Boggs6ft7

I used plain old Tamiya purple on my Sky Warp.

12. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

Amazing job Cheebs, what kind of paint did you use for the gold and other parts?

13. Octane

Octane Soul Crusher

See now, if the real toys looked like those, I'd buy them.

14. chazparks

Did you do anything else? Like wash it in alcohol, used a spray instead of brush, or anything?

Mine looks like trash: [​IMG]

15. Boggs6ft7

I stipped mine down to the plastic and work from there up.

Were you spraying onto plastic or another paint layer?

Did you put on a few tack coats or do it all at once?

what type of paint are you using?

16. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I actually have a question, mostly for boggs, but what technique did you use to do the awesome looking stripes on the seeker wings? that's the only thing that's puzzling me before I start painting my screamer.

17. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    love the seeker pics :) 

18. Boggs6ft7

I masked of one line, using masking tape of course, painted that line, let it dry, then masked off the second line, paint it, and let it dry. After you get done, you can do touchup work to get any spots you missed. On masking the lines, some of the edges can be done just by using the length of the tape (mainly the outside edge of the stripe) The inside edge can be done the same way, but where the line bends, you'll have to lay your tape, then cut out the corner using an exacto blade. Don't push too hard or you'll cut into the plastic. It just takes practice to get used to.

Some of the lines were sprayed and other were brush painted, but they were all masked. If you are spraying: 1. Make sure everything you don't want painted is covered. 2: Apply a tack coat (a very very thin layer of paint, in fact, you should mostly see the base coat or plastic underneath this layer) Let it dry. Apply a second coat, again don't go cray with the paint. Now depended on how much paint you put down on the second coat, you may need a third coat. I usually like to shoot for three. Why? Allowing the paint to dry during the tack coat will keep it from running into your panel lines like crazy. There is a chance this may still happen and you'll have to do some touchup work. If you tried to put all the paint on in one coat it will look like crap.

Also make sure that you tape is all the way down on the wing, sometimes the tape will lift off.

I also sometimes use plain ol' scotch tape. The advantages of this is that is allows me to see what I'm doing underneath when I need to cut complex shapes into the tape. The disadvantage is that it tends to "lift off" when I'm not looking and sometimes leaves behind a residue, but I can clean that up with wd40.

Lastly, if you really, really, really don't wany to paint stripes, you can buy stripe packs from you local hobby shop, or online.
    [​IMG]
    You could cut them to size and not have to worry about masking, the downside is that you will lose some of your detail underneath, kinda hard to work with unless you are used to it, and limited colors.

Hope that helps, goodluck.

19. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

thanks! it's funny, but it never occurred to me that you can mask stuff off and then HAND paint the stripes. I always equated masking with spray paint. duh! and I happen to have that exact roll of pinstripe tape already ;) 

20. chazparks

I just started painting right on the current paint job without stripping.

I tried doing it all at once. The black paint went right in but the purple didn't,

With a brush I am using AppleBarrel 20493 Neon Purple Acrylic Paint Plaid (44 cents for 2 fluid oz at Wal-Mart)

Where is the ideal place to buy modeling items? I have tried Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby.