any PC buffs out there? i need help:(

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by dark69, Apr 14, 2011.

1. dark69

dark69 BlackArachnia Terrorize!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ok i need PC help! i don't know what happened but nothing i use a lot is working!
    any one know what may have happened?

when i hit on Wordpad.ink i get
    the drive or network connection that the shortcut "Wordpad.ink" refers to is unavailable, make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and then try again"

when i hit on a Document i get *they are RTF File....don't know what that is*
    this file dose not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel

when i hit my Calculator or my game's i get
    the item you selected is unavailable. it might have been moved,renamed, or removed. do you want to remove it from the list?

2. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Which OS is it, and have you done any recent updates?

3. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

I rerun the OS that you have on their. Basically I mean reinstall your OS cause it sounds like some files are misdirected. I am a tech in computers and thats exactly what I would do to fix it. Put your OS disc in your drive and re-install everything.

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this belongs in the video games and TECHNOLOGY forum.

5. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If its Windows XP, I believe there is a part in the add or remove programs found in the control panel that may help out. When you get to add or remove programs, look on the left for "Add or Remove Windows Components" and re-add the ones missing that may be causing this. Try that before reformatting/reloading your OS. It is much quicker than reformatting/reloading and I had similar issues on my lap top that has XP.

Start Menu > Control Panel > Click "Add or Remove Programs" > Click "Add or Remove Windows Components" > add calculator, games, etc (whichever ones you are missing)

6. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you absolutely must format, do a backup of your user folder. It will get all your documents, game saves, music, etc.

If you don't and wipe out your current installation, it'll all be gone.

I think it should've been lnk, not ink. LNK is a shortcut file used in Windows. If that's been corrupted, the OS has been compromised.

7. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Probably dug a little too far and just deleted your shortcut, try restoring items in the recycle bin if you still have stuff in the trash.

8. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

First try to restore your system to point were you didn't have problems with it. If that doesn't help, try the route The Dark Seeker suggested.

For restoring to a certain system restore point go to Start->Run->type msconfig->Launch system restore->Restore my computer to an earlier time and choose a date that you know your computer was working fine. This is for Windows XP.

For Vista go to Control Panel->Backup and Restore center-> Repair Windows using System Restore.

9. dark69

dark69 BlackArachnia Terrorize!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thanks for the info guys
    it's got XP and yes i did alot of recent updates
    thanks The Dark Seeker it worked!!!

10. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :thumbs2: 

Ah....gotcha. And yeah, that would not be a good thing.

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    That's really bad advice for a first thing to do. As a tech guy, you should know that there are other options, one of which has solved the OP's problem.
    You hardly ever go straight for a reinstall unless Windows is completely screwed. And if you advise someone else to do one, you should ALWAYS tell them to back their stuff up before doing it.