Any Other Magnuses?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TheIronBot, Dec 27, 2016.

1. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Below comment will contradict the 2007 TF Animated show where Magnus was the higher rank than Prime:

I was checking one of my toy review pages, 2010 Alternity Ultra Magnus, his comic actually covered about him name, lol.
    UM speaks the following to the Alternity:
    "I am not Ultra Magnus, I'm just Magnus"
    "I'm not qualified for Ultra that is the title for military exploits only. Of course...."
    "Prime is upper than Ultra"

1.PNG

2.PNG

2. greboguru

greboguru Psychedelic Brainchild

Which part of "Ultra Magnus" is name and which part is title? Like many things in TF (especially G1 TF) information is inconsistent and contradictory.

I remember that Alternity manga. I was happy to see a source citing "Ultra" as the title, since that makes the most sense in English.

However, as we've seen both God Magnus and Delta Magnus in more official sources (IDW comics, Takara toy lines, Car Robots anime), it seems that "Magnus" is generally considered to be the title.

Of course, every alternate universe can have its own rules. TF Animated is VERY much its own thing, with its own unique rules. There can be no question that in Animated, "Magnus" is the highest-ranking title (equivalent to "Prime" in most other continuities) while "Prime" is a lesser-ranking title. As far as I can tell, Animated is pretty much the only continuity to take this approach.

3. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    His name before he took the burden of Magnus was Ultra Prime.

4. greboguru

greboguru Psychedelic Brainchild

In TF Animated, that's presumably true.

In continuities where "Ultra" is the title, his name was either Magnus or Magnum, it seems.

In other continuities (like lotsa G1) he probably was named something like Ultra, Ultrus, Ultrum, Ultram, Ultrax, Ultrack, Ultread... I dunno, something like that.

5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Possibly. I'm not current on the IDW material, but TFWiki mentions that Delta Magnus belongs to "the House of Magnus" which would seem to make Magnus more akin to a surname than a rank or title, making "Ultra Magnus" and "Delta Magnus" both personal names without a title or rank in them. Or at least originally. Since both known original Magnuses are dead and their identities have become a mantle to be passed on, "Ultra Magnus" and "Delta Magnus" have both arguably ceased being personal names and become job titles in their entirety. So it's both and neither? Hmm... [scratches head]

• Like Like x 4