Any opinions of The New Frontier by DC?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Recall, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    While sorting through boxes I came across a two TPB's labelled as The New Frontier Vol. 1 & 2. I don't remember reading them and a quick skim through shows its a GL origins story along with some other bits.

Its written/drawn by Darwyn Cooke and wondered if anyone had any opinions on it and if its something worth reading? i'll most likely read it but is it considered any good or just another throw away story?

Cheers.

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

A very good "elseworlds" story. It does a fine job of re-imagining the origins of Silver Age characters like GL, Flash, and Martian Manhunter, while keeping Batman, Wonder Woman, and Batman as their original Golden Age selves. They even made a cartoon movie about it.

3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Excellent to hear. I 've got it with me at work today so I can invest sometime into it today. It sounds like a quite cool premise a modern take on the older 50's/60's work. Very much looking forward to reading it :) 

4. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I love the story and Cooke's artwork reflects the times that the story is taking place. His artwork also lended itself very well to the movie. As far as the movie goes, I think its is the best adaptation of a comic story that DC has done. It leaves some slow parts out, but most of it is there.

I know most fans go to Kevin Conroy as the definitive Batman voice, but I have to say Jeremy Sisto did an awesome Batman in New Frontier. I want another Batman movie with Sisto doing the voice.

5. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Great story got made into an excellent Direct to DVD animation.

6. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    It was a great book. My wife got them for me last year for my birthday and I blew through them.

7. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

It should - Cooke actually did some preliminary design work/concept sketches for B:TAS (so did Mike Mignola and Kevin Nowlan).

I LOVE this line, to J'onn:
    "And one other thing: I'm not sure what you are or where you come from. But my instincts tell me you're to be trusted. Make no mistake, though - I have a $70,000 sliver of a radioactive meteor to stop the one from Metropolis; all I need for you is a penny for a book of matches."
    Sisto just sounds so awesome when he says that. :cool: 

8. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

New Frontier is great. Though yes the origin of Green Lantern is a central plot theme its really all about the transition from the Golden age to the Silver age. And its packed with cameos by lots of lesser known and B to C list DC silver age heroes like the original Suicide Squad, the Losers, Doom Patrol and even Metamorpho and the god doctor who would create the Metal Men.

9. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I think the story is fantastic. I'm not terribly crazy about the artwork, but it works given the retroness of the story.

10. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Read it. It's awesome. 'nuff said.