Any one else playing Silent hill Origins?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Tekkaman Blade, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Cause I'm stuck at the iron lung. Never mind figured it out, fun game.

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't play itbecause I havent gotten paid. I plan on getting it tomorrow though. What do you think of it so far?

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I've got it, it's good - good ol' SH action.

One thing I don't like about it is your melee weapons are only good for 5-6 good whacks before they break and disappear. You constantly have to pick up new ones, but one good thing is you get the pistol and shotgun fairly early in the game.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome thanks. I can't wait to pick it up. I just got the new PSP so I'll be hooking it up to my TV when I'm at home playing it.

5. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    I have it on my Christmas List :D 

6. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Now I ca not figure out how to get the key out of the grate at the sanitarium.

7. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Here's a hint - there's no way to get it out with the grate there, and you can't remove the grate.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sounds like a puzzle from part 2, I think.

9. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    I figured it out I forgot to explore a room to get a key. The game seems to have audio problems though. When I'm supposed to be getting a scary cut scene there is no sound.

10. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for letting me know it came out. Damn, let another one slip bye undetected...

11. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    OK, got it, haven't started playing it yet though.

12. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    This thread isn't getting a whole lot of love. That's too bad, because I believe the Silent Hill franchise goes in more interesting directions then pretty much any other horror/survival game.

Anyways, I completed it last night, and I wanted to give a quick (story spoiler free) review.

Story- without giving away anything, it was good, but not Silent Hill 2 good. It leads up to the first game but if my memory recalls correctly, it messes some things up. I really like that it touched on adult themes without being too blatant or distastefull. Besides that, Travis, the main character, has little motivation early on to be doing everything he's doing, and even by the end I wasn't sure why he was ever so important.

Visuals- Pretty good. It doesn't have the texture quality of the PS2 titles, but it runs smoothly. They are appropriately dirty and corroded.

Controls- Standard Silent Hill. Tip to everyone though- if there is only one enemy around, usually punching does the trick- they can't recover from staggering before you are ready to punch again. I NEVER used any melee weapons besides the fists. Also, to do the final blow on enemys, stand still and let go of the targeting button, and THEN hit the attack button.

Puzzles- Enjoyable and never take too long to figure out.

Difficulty- Once you get the hang of the controls and how the enemys work, it gets less stressfull and easier. It had a decent difficulty and length.

Bottom line- It won't revert any Silent Hill haters, but to those who have ever liked Silent Hill, even those put off by the last entry, it's an enjoyable addition to the series. Much more traditional then 4 or even 3.

Oh, I would also like to add that it follows the series roots with a nice, mood setting soundtrack.

13. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I beat it too. I didn't understand what the hell was going on, why he was important, or what he had to do with any of it. I guess I've been out of the SH loop for too long.

Still fun though.

I got a kick out the "double-decker" monsters at the sleazy motel - if they weren't trying to make them look like a guy nailing a fat chick from behind, they sure screwed up - but I think that was what they were going for. The theme of the location sure fit.

The figure on top even moves the right way. Maybe I just have a dirty mind.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  14. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I may have to check this out, it's been a while since I got a new PSP game.

15. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Everytime I saw a new enemy I would have to show my Girlfriend because she got so freaked out by them. The enemy your talking about I dubbed "doggy style", and she completey agrees that's what it looked like. Most Silent Hill enemys have something to do with what's going on, and that does fit for this enemy. I am still a little confused about the bull like enemy that seems to have two worthless front legs with a penis-like head being pushed along the ground.

(Ahh, the things you hope to type but never thought you'd have a chance!)

16. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Unfortunately, I can't buy to much without it getting confiscated for the holidays. But I do know quite a bit about Silent Hill Backstory and theories(Excluding the fourth game (Lame) and the movie(Meh), Even had a thread on it a long time ago). When i get that game I'll know for sure how it all ties in. You might check GameFAQs for some help and dissertation(No seriously, a person actually took the time to do major dissertation and evaluation on the first three games.)

17. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I think it's supposed to by some type of embryo-monster. If you look closely, it's some kind of bird with a beak.

Maybe embryo monster = the whole "birth" aspect of the game.

18. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Let's just say that, at the risk of a spoiler, I understand Travis's connection with Silent Hill, but his motivation seemed empty and I don't really see why Alessa needed to use him. Furthermore, the original little girl of the main character was supposed to be his biological daughter, and he found Alessas "good" side as a baby after he kills off the demon summoned from his own little girl, and he takes that child. So, the little snippet they play at the very end of Silent Hill Origins makes it sound similar to the movie's story, where his own girl was adopted, not biological. Anyways, I may be wrong and when I have time I may check that FAQ, although I am pretty sure Silent Hill plots are up for interpretation and aren't fully explainable by what we get in the games.

That could be. Being that it was a "bull" type thing kinda ties in with other things in the game that I don't really want to point out as I feel I have said too many spoilers as is.

19. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Have it at last. The straight jackets got a whole lot meaner in this game.