Any one else beat their Transformers addiction

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Sonscreen, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

A board buddy here offered to pick up an Alt Ravage and Rumble for me from a somewhat far away Walmart. Much to his surprise (and mine) I declined. I think I finally kicked the old plastic goodness habit! A few months I would've jumped up and down foaming at the month to get these guys.

2. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I vowed to stop buying TFs until the Movie figures were released so I could afford them.
    Then I spent about $300 on TFs through eBay.
    So, no, I've in now way overcome this "addiction."

3. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

Lack of money has killed my collecting habits, but my love for TFs remains.

4. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not "beating" the addition per se, but a notable change in habits.

One of the things that excites me most about the coming year is that for the first time since G1, we are going to get a FULL marketing blitz on Transformers. Backpacks, books, puzzles, walkie-talkies, candy, keychains, mugs, hats, you name it. I plan to pick up every movie-related oddity I can find. I want to look back and have a complete set of memorabilia from the year TFs ruled the world again.

That being the case, I'm going to hold off on the toys for a while. It's likely they'll be around and readily available a lot longer than some of the miscellaneous stuff. I've noticed that modern TFs (Arm, Ene, Cyb) seem to hold almost NO value whatsoever a year after they're out. Sure, there are the exceptions (like Ene UM, Cyb Leobreaker), but for the most part that holds true.

Last year I saw a nearly 100% complete set of perfect loose Cybertron toys go for ~$200 on eBay. A year from now I'll be able to pick up all the movie toys on eBay - loose, mint & complete - for a FRACTION of their retail cost. Having paid full retail on everything since RiD, I'm giving myself a break.
    :D 

5. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I'll be spending far less money on new 2007 TFs this year for obvious reasons. Conversely I'll try to pick up most of the reissues I've missed.

6. citcgn

citcgn Well-Known Member

Cybertron taught me that I probably shouldn't be getting every single bot that shows up, regardless of how many repaints the mold has had, whether or not I like the figure, etc. Now, I'm comfortably buying what I want. Much easier.

7. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Yup. I've beaten it. I've only purchased 2 Transformers this year, only have mild interest in one more... I used to have a whole list (at least in my mind) of TFs that i want. I'm done, though.

I have, however, succumbed to the Macross addiction...

8. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Trying...trying hard...the last 2 Alts. and MP-5 is where I am trying to draw the line before all hell breaks loose (ie. the movie).

9. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Same here. I only buy, maybe 1 or 2 a year now. I think the last one I bought was Cybertron Starscream, and I had to put him on layaway

10. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What addiction? :confused2 

11. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Exactly. One of the reasons why I began collecting oddities in the first place. I to plan on buying all the oddities and in fact, I plan on not picking up any movie figures except for Jazz.

12. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

I have my ups and downs with it, my ups are when i'm actually building on my collecting and sometimes it does get abit over board, but for the most part I keep it under control.

13. Tycho

Tycho Well-Known Member

I only own 12 Transformers, but Alts Rumble and Ravage are two of these.

I love Ravage and wouldn't ever turn him down!

I'd hardly say I'm an addict though. I used to be as a kid in my G1 days and bought 3 times more than I turned down.

But just don't pass on Alt Ravage. Mine is right here on my computer desk in front of me. I'm digging him!

14. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    You'll be back. Everyone comes back. :ev: 

15. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Excitement! My Style!!!

News Credits:
    I thought I was done after H.S. when I graduated in 2000. I sold my WHOLE collection of G1 (Jap grails included) and Beast Wars. All that remained was Dinobot, TMII Dinobot, & BM Jetstorm. From spring of 2000 to last Sept, the only TF's I bought were TRU Commemorative Starscream & Hot Rod, MP Prime, and BT-01 Smokescreen. Went to Canada with some friends and a friend and I agreed we'd buy MP Voltron when we come back. After that, it was down hill....at least, for my credit cards. Got back every damn near TF I sold minus for Beast Wars guys. I couldn't be anymore happier right now though. The only difference between now and then is that I used to be a completist since all the $ I earned working went straight to TF's and now that I have bills, I can rest assured knowing that I won't lose any sleep worrying about if all the constructicons have their little guns even though he'll be kept as Devastator

16. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What addiction? :lol  :lol 

17. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

I'm about 90% out of it myself. I need to pick up a MP Megatron but thats looking like it for the year unless we have another MP or Classics makes a come back (not likely). I sold down my Alternators collection to just Autobots and I have no desire for Ravage or Rumble as they represent the jumping of the shark in Alternators IMO...

18. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I'm getting there, I'm only buying ravage and rumble to complete the set, and I already had MP Megs on pre-order.

After that I'm done, I got to thinking how much cool musical equipment I could have bought with all the money I spent on Transformers and got a little aggravated at myself.

19. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

Well since I have all the classics just about(not into jetfire or ramjet) taking a 2 month break before the movie breaks out to get them.

Plus wife is making me stop lol.

First Post WOOT!

20. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Yup. There are a good number of Cybertron figures which, had they come out earlier, I would have bought. I bought less then half the Alts. I'm still addicted to owning them and fiddling with them, but thankfully not addicted to buying every new bot plus repaints that comes down the pike.