Any of you have a local scalper?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NGW, Jan 3, 2011.

1. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

I find it funny how people will hate on people doing this in a store yet a Online Retail like BBTS gets a free pass for doing the same thing basically.

Way to deal with scalping is easy. Patience. If you can be a little patient most any new release is a peg warmer after a month or so and easily found.

2. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

I find it funny that you can't tell the difference between a retail channel and a scalper.

You don't think there's a difference between a retailer who orders straight from the source (Hasbro) and a scalper? BBTS's actions do not affect the quantities available to other retailers. Compare that to a scalper affecting supply in the local area.

3. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Locally it's not a big problem because the local Wal-Mart never stocks things. A scalper would starve to death attempting to scalp from the poor job the local Wal-Mart does at stocking anything toy related. Only thing you have to worry about is getting one before the other local collectors all hear there is something new for a change.

Leaving town it can be another story. Never saw Animated Arcee on the shelves because scalpers knew it was easy money for them. The comic book/toy dealers also tend to track down what will sell at their store but it's in lower numbers than scalpers so they aren't a huge problem.

4. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    Sorry what is it your trying to say? What I said is have pride in your job regardless of your pay, and if you don't like it go somewhere else, good workers have better chances of advancing.

5. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess buying MOTU Classic figures for $20 and reselling them for $34.99 for example isn't scalping. What was I thinking lol.....

or

$17.99 for a Generations Thundercracker pre-order right now. That is scalping when retail is in the $12 range in my book they are just more organized.

Like I said Patience is the key. If you HAVE to have it now you will most likely be paying a lot more. Too many adults with the patience of a 5 year old who can't wait for their toy is not my problem.

6. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

VZ, I've only met/saw a couple since I've been here. One occurance was when I was in Wal-Mart over on Main Street picking up MP Starscream when he came out. There was a 35+ year old dude asking me what Transformers were hot this year. I didn't feel like dealing with it, so I told him that I don't know and kept it moving.

But yeah, other than us, there are a few of collectors around here. Collecting around here isn't that difficult. We've got so many places to check, it's ridiculous. The only issue is that it sometimes takes the stores here up to a month after toys debut on the West Coast to show up.

7. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Never dealt with scalpers, but Im pretty sure everywhere has atleast one of em

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I have more of an issue with toy swapping.

9. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I wish I was the local scalper... but by the time my area gets stuff everyone else already has it.

10. salmonman78

salmonman78 That's MR. Magnus to you all...

It isn't scalping since they get their own stock in and don't go out to the local stores and ransack them for it. Also, the price is what some people rather pay to make sure they get it then have to drive around and not get one right away.

11. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    Yea we've got 2 scalpers here, 1 for Star Wars and 1 for GI Joe and Wrestling, never seen anyone scalping TFs...... luckily.

12. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:

I'm trying to say you paint an over-simplified picture that has no bearing on reality. Being the best worker at Wal-Mart will not get you a cushy job with a fortune 500. Hell it won't even get you a raise at WM!

13. FCatCH76

FCatCH76 Autobot

the scalper topic..lol. I love reading these. What I never understood is this, my wife and I go into Walmart and head over to the toy department. There we find 5 of the latest new release figure, I grab all five.... I'm a scalper per se.

Then we head over to the food department and I look for my propel. Now lets not get into how gatorade has d/c so many flavors I liked. But, I see five 12 packs of propel in my flavor choice..I take all five...scalper?

Lets be serious guys, these are toys, be upset, get angry, but remember what we are talking about.

14. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

You do realize that EVERY retailer sells for higher than what they buy for, right? It's called commerce.

Again, they order direct from Hasbro, and therefore, do not negatively affect supply.

Profiting alone does not equal scalper.

15. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    It still doesn't excuse not having pride in your work at Wally World

Out of curiosity, what day does Wal-mart, Target, and Toys'r'us get new things?

16. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    In your mind. What people take pride in is as individual as the people themselves. Just as varied(and equally worthless) are what people think others should take pride in. I personally would take more pride in doing the least amount of work possible for what amounts to the least amount of pay possible, but that's me.

17. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    From TFWiki:
    "Scalping, in the context of toy collecting, refers to the practice of deliberately buying multiples of the same (usually "rare" or "popular", oftentimes both) toy with the intention of creating an artificial scarcity. Subsequently, the scalper will sell the toys again (usually on eBay), for a price much higher than the original store price, knowing that the high demand, coupled with the rarity of the toy (which is at least in part due to the scalping), will result in buyers being desperate enough to pay the prices the scalper asks for. In essence, scalpers are scum."

THIS. With one minor correction: If you don't like the price, don't buy it from the individual who is 'scalping' the item. The same goes for BBTS, or any online, local, or individual who is selling merchandise. It is only worth what you deem it worth. So if someone wants to sell their Botcon set for a profit, that's fine, that's their choice. But who is the bigger fool, the person selling it to make an extra buck, or the person who paid that price to get that figure? Learn the difference between wants and needs.

I buy stuff from BBTS or online vendors because I validate the cost of gas and my patience in the human condition. I buy stuff from people locally or through the Junkion Exchange because of the same reason.

And no, it has nothing to do with race, or creed, it's all about greed. Individuals who are trying to make that profit at the cost of someones safety/space/person? For anyone who stood up to those people, I applaud you.

It's just stuff people.

And to add to the OP's question, yes I've seen scalpers. And to them, I say: please, please, please, you obviously make enough money, can you not take a shower or something? I mean, most of them seem unwashed. At least look representable and have some dignity without morals. :lolol 

18. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    im sure we have one here I never found WM MP Starscream or Grimlock even once and Ive yet to see any of the newer stuff. even though ive looked everywhere

19. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    qfa.

maybe people should head over to Radicons and protest their outrageous demolition of figures (which evily take figures out of circulation, thus denying you your right to a Generation Red Alert or Drift) and re-selling them at extreme prices.

20. jamspeed

jamspeed Follow me on Instagram _jamspeed_

Ebay:
    Sooo, how much would you get on Ebay for a flavored drink? Not really the same thing there. People can buy what they want of course, but the intention of buying a bunch of an item (you probably don't even collect) and reselling at 200%+ its value is scalping. If you think scalping ok or not is up to the reader, but it is what it is.