Any of you have a local scalper?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NGW, Jan 3, 2011.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I do.

See him all the time at work, and every time I do I just wish I was off the clock/in my street clothes so I could really lay into the guy. I always shoot him nasty looks, but I can't really say or do anything else.

It's pretty rare my store actually gets new stuff in. We'd been swamped with the same old shelf warmers line after line, and when we finally get new stuff in...here he is with carts full of toys, papers in hand listing figures and prices (can't really read what they say, they aren't in english), him going through the pegs, clearing all the new stock, leaving the old. It's no wonder we never have anything new.

Saw him yesterday walking out with all of our Battle in Space sets that we just put out, gave him a look, then talked to one of my higher ups about seeing if there was ANYTHING we could do about trying to get some kind of anti-scalper policy. I mean we had limits put on those fucking Zhu Zhu Pet things back the Christmas they were the hot item.

Anyone that work at retail have a scalper they have to deal with, knowing there's fuck all you can say and do about it? Or how about shoppers, you ever see a scalper at work? Say/do anything about it?

2. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Sounds like a guy I'd like to punch.

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    If you know what he's buying, see if you can find the loot on CL or eBay.

4. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I haven't noticed any scalpers per se, but maybe I'm being looked at as a scalper?

I bought 3 BiS sets from one Target and 2 from another.

1 set to open for my display, 1 set for customizing, 1 set for a friend, and the others to stash away for trades down the road.

Some may see this as scalping, personally I don't see an issue with it. I found them during regular store hours, I paid retail for them, etc.

Maybe because I'm not in retail like you, I have kind of gotten over the scalper thing. Seeing it day in and day out might make me feel like you do though.:thumbs2: 

5. Godzilla Ranger

Godzilla Ranger AgentGodzillaRangerPrime

Is the dude Asian? Cuz most if not all of the scalpers here in the NYC area are.

6. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I used to work at Target, there was a few guys that used to go to the toy dept and clean house on all the new and popular stuff. The parents and collectors use to complain about these guys having cart fulls of the same things and leaving nothing on the pegs or shelves.

The managers implemented a few rules. The main one was only two of the known new or hot items was allowed to be purchased at the same time. The two guys got all upset and said it is their right as a consumer to purchase anything in the store they want. But the rebuttal to them was that the store has the right to refuse service to anyone. Including them. Of course they got all upset saying that they will never buy from Target again. But they still came back.

It was later found out that they where friends with a fellow worker that helped them out. He didn't even work nowhere near the toy dept. After he was busted, he was not allowed to touch anything pertaining to toys while working. Not even bikes.

7. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

People in the US use the word "rights" way too often. You have a lot of rights (and responsibilities) vis a vis the government. You don't have nearly as many rights against other private parties (including corporations).

"I have a right to blah blah." No, you don't.

8. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I havent noticed any scalpers in my area, however some people may think I am once in awhile. I've been able to help out a number of members here and on Cybertron.ca when my local WM gets some good stock of hard to find items. I'm always willing to help others out and there have been quite a few times I've cleared out the stock of figures that no can find (usually no more than 3 or 4 of the same figure). But I always charge retail (or close to it, maybe a buck extra for gas) and actual shipping, so I have no guilty concience. However if someone saw me in the store, I could see them calling 'scalper' on me.

But seeing a guy with a list including prices and a shopping cart full of only new stuff screams scalper to me. Those guys need to be put on a leash and be prevented from buying more than a reasonable amount. OR at the very least, they should be prevented from returning ANYthing. That way when they cant sell all 50 of whatever figure they've cleared out, they'd be stuck with the old stock or stuck selling it at a cost equivelant to retail.

9. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Nothing wrong with scalpers. People gotta make a living any way they can.

10. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    You have three rights:

• LIFE
    • LIBERTY
    • the PURSUIT of HAPPINESS

Of course I completely agree that people (worldwide, not just the U.S.) feel they have way more "rights" than they actually have.

11. Manok

Manok Well-Known Member

I only buy online. I gave up looking for figures in the store.

12. mirage6530

mirage6530 Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like someone is mad that they were beat to the punch lol

13. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    I have a rough idea what they are, but what exactly do you mean by 'scalpers'? (Sorry if it's a stupid question...)

14. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

A scalper is someone who finds new figures at a local store, buys them all up, and then sells them online at higher prices.

15. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    No problems with scalpers ... but there is this dick that keeps toy swapping.

16. BlueAngel_Bolt

BlueAngel_Bolt I'M REALLY FEELING IT

News Credits:
    To voice my opinion on this, some scaplers are just horrible, not all, but i remember back when the cybertron stuff was out, i believe towards the end, it was when the unicron was released, i was my local walmart (can't remember where) and i was astounded to see they had about 6-13 of him. Of course I picked up one, as i leave the toy isle, i see this guy come and take the rest. i was of course facepalming at this because i mean he REALLY didnt need the last 10+ of them. So i dont say anything, and the guy goes further down the isle, then i see this kid (about 6-7 or so) come and starts to dig through the deluxes, and as he got into them he managed to find one hiding unicron, the kid was happy none the less as I guess he really liked him. anyway, the scalper sees this, literally pulls unicron from this kid's hands, pulls a demolishor off the shelf and gives it to the kid. of course the kid was upset, and our area rarely got new stuff like that often, so i walk up to the guy and say" you are a real jackass sir" i couldnt really do anything since he was about 3 times my size, so i tell him off, i see the kid crying, and gave him my unicron.

some people really disgust me.

17. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

If there weren't people impatient enough to buy from scalpers, then there wouldn't be scalpers. So if you have a problem with scalping, then it should be with the customers.

18. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I think everywhere has a scalper.. Back when Animated Roddy was popping up I was making weekly stops at TRU on their truck days. I was looking to buy 2. One for me & one for a friend I met on here. Finally they showed up, and of course, I'd been waiting for the doors to open, hit up the TF section and asked one of the stockers that knew me as a regular if I could crack open the animated cases. And jackpot there he & Ironhide were. Before I could reach for the Roddimus figures, some jerk-off comes out of nowhere and shoulder checks me out of the way just to empty the case in his shopping cart.

Now I'm a pretty massive dude & I take not any shit from anybody lol, so off my left foot I launch at the guy, knock him on his rump & proceed to grab the 2 Rodimus figures I was there for. Then he has the nerv to say I'm stealing items he's about to purchase blah blah blah... But the stocker that let me open the case had my back & needless to say, he was banned from the store (the only TRU within a 60+ mile radius). I had thought about purchasing the whole case myself & selling him the remaining Rodimus & Ironhides for "his price" but I'm better than that. And I'm glad I got him while I could, because I haven't seen a single Animated Rodimus in my area since August. Kinda sad to know that there's more than that one jerk in my area.

I'm also extremely fortunate to have a friend working at Target in the toy dept, he told me when they had gotten the Battle In Space pack. Picked up 1 to open... I'll go back in a few months to get another for my MOSC/MISB shelf. And I'll be able to know when Kup, Scourge, Wheeljack etc get in before scalpers have their way with all of them as well.

Eventually people will stop buying from them & they'll be screwed.... Just gotta make friends with folks here on the boards & other TF fanboards and help eachother out.. For all of us Americans & our friends in the UK, southern part of the world & so forth..

Scalpers are the devil incarnate... End of story.

19. Goshjosh95

Goshjosh95 Decepticon

News Credits:
    ^ Way to make a racist, irrelevant comment that contributes nothing to the conversation.

20. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    i dont think we have many scalpers in our area...but i dont give a shit about them, i got all kind of counterattacks, now to quote wollstone, if you will be patient, you can find it. but i also know that some regions get the short end of the stick, when it comes distribution. if you can order it online, do it especially if it a popular figure...