Any of the new Transformers comic books any good?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by urrutiap, Jul 20, 2017.

1. urrutiap

urrutiap Well-Known Member

Any of the recent new Transformers comic book series any good?

I grew up on the old 1980s Transformers comic from Marvel and that was pretty much it.

so I was wondering are any of the new recent Transformers comic series any good to read and enjoy and not get bored or whatever?

2. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depends. Do you like the idea of Transformers crossing over with other dead Hasbro properties? If so, you're in for a good time with the newest stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Reask

Reask Predacon

Currently Lost Light and Optimus Prime are picking the pace back up but unless you've read More than Meets the Eye and Robots in Disguise you won't get whats happening. But there was a comic that just started that you can read freely, ROM vs Transformers: Shining Armour. Only one issue in but it's really good.

If you haven't read any Transformers comics from IDW before, check out Infiltration, Stormbringer, Escalation, Devastation and Spotlight for some great stories written by Simon Furman of the Marvel days. Also Last Stand of the Wreckers and Chaos Theory are some of the best titles.

IDW also did a sequel series to the Marvel comics to slightly mixed results but it's still there if it interests you, Regeneration One.

4. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

Read the first three volumes of more than meets the eye. If you like it, you have ten volumes. If you don't, the past five years of idw is not likely to your taste.

Actually. Start with last stand of the wreckers. It's a single mini-series. Mtmte isn't a sequel, but it has a similar spirit

• Like Like x 3
  5. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good advice here. Last Stand of the Wreckers I'd say is the best thing out of IDW. It got me into the universe. If you like that go to Death of Optimus Prime the first volumes of More Than Meets the Eye and Robots in Disguise. You don't need to read everything that came before, Death of OP was a great jumping on point.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ILoveLuci4

ILoveLuci4 I probably hate you, too

No.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

You've got a mess of twelve years worth of comics to trawl through (five since phase 2 (MTMtE/RID) if you want the full picture. Optimus Prime, Lost Light, and Til All are One all have required reading, the whole shebang for OP, MTMtE for Lost Light, and RID and a few others for TAaO. Revolutionaries and ROM Vs Transformers are probably my favorite so far, and they need the least context, going back to last year's Revolution crossover event (if even) and the Hearts of Steel miniseries.

That's the lowdown on all five of the current ongoing series. Everyone else is right though, More Than Meets the Eye and Last Stand of the Wreckers are highlights for sure. TF: Spotlight too, but it's entirely one-shots and all over the place chronologically.

There's also the prequels, Megatron Origin, Autocracy, Monstrosity, and Primacy, that are somewhat interesting to flip through though boring to look at.

However. More important than any of that. The digitally recolored reprints of the Marvel UK comics, The Transformers Classics UK just came out with it's sixth volume, and it is glorious.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Heck yea, some of the best transformers stuff ever IMO.

The current continuity at one point when from a single ongoing to two, More Than Meets The Eye and Robots in Disguise. This is when things kicked into high gear (and is a good jumping on point, starting with the one-shot The Death of Optimus Prime that leads off both. And no, Optimus doesn't die in that one despite the name), with MTMTE being an epic space quest, and Robots in Disguise developing Cybertronian politics and the post-war situation heavily.

A lot of stuff has happened since then, not all of it *as* great but all in all it's been a nice time to be into transformers comics. I absolutely loved the recent 'Til All Are One' comic, but it's for people more caught up on the current situation.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    All Hail Megatron
    Last stand of the Wreckers
    MTMTE season one

that's about the best you'll find

• Like Like x 1
  10. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't bother with the more recent stuff, but go with "Infiltration" and the original IDW-verse.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

They're as good as we've ever got out of the franchise. That's to say, they're better than the original comics, the Bay movies, the G1 cartoon, TF:p rime, Beast Wars, Beast Machines and the Robots in Disguise cartoon, and better than the narrative chunk of all of the TF games I've played. TF:Animated is in a class of its own so doesn't really compare.

Sometimes they're pretty excellent and sometimes - unfortunately rather too often - they're disappointing.

12. prowl07

prowl07 Well-Known Member

Regeneration One was a good sequel to the Marvel Comic, except for the ending and the story was rushed.

I've liked what IDW has done up to Robots In Disguise and More Than Meets The Eye.

13. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hold on, this came out?

14. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

People are saying it's up on Amazon, I exaggerated a little for dramatic effect lol.

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Also, do you enjoy Transformers who spend most of the time pretending they are regular non-robotic, non-transforming people? You will love it.

• Like Like x 1