Any news on a re-release of G1 DVD's.....

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by KMITB, Feb 17, 2009.

1. KMITB

KMITB The dub voice of Prime

News Credits:
    It was reported a few months ago that Hasbro bought the rights back to their cartoon catalog. So has anyone heard if they will re-release the TF DVD's.....and the correct versions...not the Rhino stuff. Any news would be great.

Thanks!

2. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    It's actually closing on a year since that was announced, but who's counting...

I still believe there's a good chance we'll see G1 reissued this year (at least Season 1 and/or a volume set to tie in with the DVD/BR release of TF2) as I explained in this thread, but it all depends on whether or not Hasbro is able to land a distributor. And if they were anywhere close to landing a distro deal by now we'd have seen an announcement at the recent NYC Comic-Con or Toy Fair.

But seeing a distro deal and a 2009 release is still possible, considering TF2 probably won't be released on DVD/BR until September or October, although I'm more inclined to believe they'll wait to make it a holiday release.

Sadly, my gut also tells me if it is released this year it will be rushed with no remastering and minimal-to-no bonus content.

In the meantime, hold tight until Botcon and the San Diego Comic-Con. If it's going to be released this year, that's when we'll hear about it.

3. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hasbro better MILK the heck out of this 25th anniversary celebration or pay for their lack of vision.

and a DVD re-release would be perfect.

If i were a bettin' man, i'd think they'd ship the DVDs between the ROTF film and its own DVD release.

4. KMITB

News Credits:
    You think they would since it's 25 years since the start of the toy / show. I would just like to see a proper release of this show. I still have a hard time watching the Rhino releases with all the stuff they did to it.

5. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I never got the original release so I really hope they do a reissue.

6. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    I have been waiting for a re-release of G1 and GI Joe for years. I really had my fingers crossed that this would be the year for both of them with the two movies coming out in the theatre!

7. nbajammer

nbajammer Member

I have the G1 sets Rhino put out, but I'm not sure if it'd be worth my while to get any re-released sets since the material is the same. I did buy the 20th anniversary edition of the movie since it has Scramble City and other assorted extras, but if there are no "new" bonuses on the re-releases, I may pass them over.

8. KMITB

News Credits:
    It might be worth your time if it was the "original" episodes that aired and not the mess that Rhino brought us...with tampered audio and early film. Just give us the finished ones that aired!