Any Networking/Firewall Experts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TreKain, Oct 25, 2006.

1. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I finally got around to getting a wireless router, and have 2 computers on the network. Problem is they both frequently drop connection. Ive had my cable provider check it out and it isnt an ISP issue. (We did find out that the cable modem was recalled 2 years ago and was dying, so that got replaced) I was told that perhaps firewalls were conflicting causing the problems. The router is firewalled and 1 computer(mine) has windows firewall running, the other computer (moms) has both windows firewall as well as norton security (blah, not my decision).

When I disable these firewalls on our machines, I get tons of warnings about not running them, but it seems to fix the problem. My question is, is this safe? Should I ignore the warnings? Is the hardware firewall sufficient? Windows seems very persistent at telling me I'm at risk without a firewall. Should it be detecting the hadware firewall?

BTW, if anyone wants to know the router is a Netgear WGT624 v3

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    You can try Zonealarm, it's a free firewall that's better than the built in windows one. It also has the ability to disable the windows firewall, so no more annoying warnings.

I'm not sure if Windows would detect the hardware firewall. You can always just disable the warnings, too, if they bug you so much.

3. Vader

Vader Well-Known Member

TreKain, there's no need to have both firewalls turned on. The built-in firewall from you router is good enough. Just ignore the Windows warnings about not having firewall protection.

4. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    You can turn off Windows firewall and turn off the notifications in the Security Center located in the Control Panel.