Any model railroaders or train fanatics here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Master Megatron, May 26, 2007.

1. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

I got into trains LONG before I got into transformers. I recently found some MR magazines at Salvation army and I'm REALLY considering selling more TFs to start a small layout.

2. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i used to, but i always wanted a lego train, when i got a standard train, all it did was fall apart. and even when it was together, all it did was go around in cycles.

which is why i always wanted a lego train, because then i could build my own lego train, i guess my point is trains do not do enough for me.

3. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I have some HO and O scale stuff, most of it boxed away. Once I get a bigger place, I'll build a train room. I really want to get into the G scale stuff and build a garden railway.

My dad works for Norfolk Southern and just Southern before that, so we had some cool train stuff around the house growing up.

4. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    My Dad’s really into it. He has gangs of trains in various sized.

5. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

I tried making modules. They came out ok. But once I added up the cost for one, plus track, plus trains, plus electronics, I decided that was pretty much the end of that. Although the modules do make good diorama/backdrops for Transformers. And pretty much anything really.

6. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I've got a small N scale switching layout. I've got a shot of Grimlock on it.

[​IMG]

Now, I just need a Revoltech Mazenkaiser to battle the "mechanical monsters."

7. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    My dad is real into trains. He has a big HO scale layout in the spare room over his garage.. He's tried to get me into since I was little. Just not my thing.

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I have a Lego train set and, someday, I'd really like to put together an O-gauge setup. I used to model in 1/48th scale, so O-gauge matches up with that really nicely.

9. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

I'd also like to do a Lego train setup. One of the great things with having a nice train setup is the extras you get for it like buildings, cars, people, etc. I'd love to be able to create a Lionel setup, but those trains are expensive anyway and buying all the extras in addition to that would just be too much. I already have a large Lego collection so I would have the means to build many extras with what I have. However, I only have one train which is from the 80s, so I would have to get some newer ones. Was thinking hard about the Super Chief set, but it sold out before I could convince myself to order.

10. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  11. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My dad does Lionel trains. When I move out my room becomes his train room. Bet he can't wait...

12. ViperDragon

ViperDragon Well-Known Member

I have a couple of N scale train sets and a 4x4 ft table in the garage that I am working on. I have the layout idea set but I need to build mountains and I am stuck on which material to use. Some say styrofoam and others cardboard and plaster. I have a ton on Micro Machine toys that are almost the perfect scale for N and plan to use those for the setup.

13. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I've always enjoyed trains, but never got into the scale stuff. I barely have room for TFs much less a scale train set. I enjoy rolling down my window when I have to stop for the train near work and listening to the rail and hear the whistle. I could easily live near the train tracks.

14. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

I like operating things. Driving a train to a detailed grain elevator and then pretending to load it with grain is just boring. I'd much rather have a grail elevator that dumps sand into waiting hopper cars, then have a rotary dumper empty them somewhere else on the layout. That's so expensive and time consuming though.