Customs: Any methods to prevent yellowing?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by shamanking282, Apr 15, 2011.

1. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've got a pretty valuable Sentai/Power Rangers toy (the Muteki Shogun, or JP Shogun Megazord for those wondering) that has a part that is mostly white plastic. When I bought it last August, it was very slightly yellowed (think the difference between United Jazz and RTS Jazz) and hasn't gotten any worse, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Are there any methods you guys have for keeping the plastic from yellowing any further? I'm considering applying a coat of Future over the white parts, but I don't know if that would be effective.

Any thoughts?

2. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    Some plastics are more susceptible to yellowing than others. Definitely keep it out of the sun, but even that doesn't guarantee it will stay white forever. Unfortunately sometimes old plastic undergoes chemical changes and discolors.

I think the best thing you can do is keep it away from UV light, heat, smoke, and dirt.

If you want to de-yellow it, a Hydrogen peroxide soaking works wonders. Just make sure to remove all metal pieces/screws, etc... as they will rust up quickly.

3. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    I wouldn't wrap it in plastic, either - let it breathe. Store it somewhere dark and NOT sealed shut and you might do ok.

4. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you can , store it in a air tight container or those vaccum bags. The air oxides the crap out of plastic making it become brittle, sometimes yellowing is an indicator of this.

Also UV light would alter the coloring used in the plastic so avoid sunlight for sure and get a uv casing. Acrylic seems to be popular.