Any marvel comics recommendations?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Knightdramon, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    First off, let me be perfectly clear-I'm NOT into marvel comics. I read a great deal of them in the 90ies, even tried to read Civil War. I just detest the idea of that big soap opera they have, especially with the X-Men. Everybody is somebody's son from the future with a deceased girlfriend who is actually the nephew of their best comrade when they traveled to the past and so on.

I do get that most Marvel titles run are franchises of about 30-40 years of shifting through various writers.

However, by sheer luck, I did discover some great little gems. Old Man: Logan, was just PERFECT for me, artwise and plotwise. Spiderman: Reign had an okay story with mediocre art. Marvel zombies was also okay before they moved to the old west or something. Venom 2.0 [the one running now, with Flash Thompson] is actually pretty decent too.

Also that two-shot parody of Marvels by Warren Elis was AWESOME.

Any other titles\one-offs I should be on the lookout for? Any darker storylines? My favourite heroes [or actually, enjoyable to read] are the Hulk, Deadpool and currently Venom.

Thanks!!

2. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Search out Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. You can't go wrong with that.
    12 issues, or two trade's worth of excellence.

3. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

That is more akin to 90's X-Men, these days, they usually aren't so ridiculous [key-word is usually], time-travel specially, is a seldom-used plot device these days [in fact, it was never a hot thing on Marvel except for 90's X-Men].

I recommend you Secret Warriors, it's a story about Nick Fury the former director of SHIELD who has to play a dangerous game of power without the support of the US Government, this story is by far one of the most cynic comics I read these days, anyone can die, Fury himself has very few moral boundaries [at times, he's actually worse than the villain he's chasing], and the plot is brillantly written.

On darker storylines, there was also Dark-reign Thunderbolts, a comic where the main cast is composed by a bunch of psychotic villains, each trying to outwit each other while they try to work together, it's quite a depraved read [I believe it was written by Warren Ellis, if I am not mistaken].

Deadpool is having a fun phase on the comics too.

Maybe Hercules, he's a fun read.

I do believe you should give it a shot to more normal stories, like Thor, Iron Man and Captain America [Thor specifically, has a pretty solid quality of epic Comics if you like medieval adventure, specially on The Siege], but I won't force it.

Regardless of your pick, I hope you enjoy the comics.

4. geerave

geerave Well-Known Member

if you liked Old Man Logan, you MUST read wolverine:ememy of the state and wolverine: agent of sheild. really drop what your doing and read them!!!

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Dammit he beat me to it. Nextwave made me giggle uncontrollably.

If you're not into the soap opera stuff, maybe the Guardians of the Galaxy stuff? You might like Star-Lord and Groot and Rocket Raccoon and such.

Or anything Thunderbolts related.

6. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If people don't read Nextwave then they should just stop reading comics.

7. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Uncanny X-men 94-280 and X-men 1-3. Then pretend that little bit with Omega Red in issue 3 never happened and the series ended when Claremont left.