Any Ikea Buffs Here? Deciding Btwn Ikea Jerker or Fredrik desk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark_Rage, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Dark_Rage

Dark_Rage Jaded Member

Just wondering if there are any Ikea buffs here. I'm shopping around for either an Ikea Jerker or Fredrik desk, but I can't decide on which one.

I know the Jerker pretty much has a cult following, but the Fredrik seems only slightly different. I keep hearing how it's much worse than the Jerker (like lack of stability), but that could just be biased.

I'm trying to get the widest version with 2 top shelves.

Thanks.

2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    My wife and I love the Jerker so much that we have three of them. My wife has the first generation one with the slide out panels on the sides.

I bought the later generation one that doesn't have the two slide out panels since I didn't like how having those meant you can't put the desk in a corner.

Recently I bought a third one off Craigslist so I can add more attachments to my existing Jerker.

My desk now has three swingbar panels and the top extention with an extra shelf. :D 

The Jerker truly is the "Legendary Desk" that the cult following has nicknamed.

Unfortunately the Jerker is discontinued. Found this out when I tried to go to Ikea to find extra attachments which is why I had to go to Craigslist to get a whole other desk to cannabilize. :( 

Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  3. Dark_Rage

Dark_Rage Jaded Member

Damn Ron, that is beautiful :( 

I wonder if the Fredrik and Jerker accessories/small shelves are compatible.
    I actually did not like the look of the one w/ the pull out shelves. It's impossible to find a Jerker with 2 shelves! Grr...

4. Razerwire

News Credits:
    I think the Fredrik shelves are either too long or too short for the Jerker depending on what length Fredrik. I think there's two different width sizes for the Fredrik.

However, if they were to make the swing arm shelves for the Fredrik, they might work on the Jerker if the screw holes are the same distance from each other.

But I remember looking at Fredrik accessories at my Ikea and thinking that none of them would be compatible.

My advice would be to pick up a base Jerker on Craigslist and hope that someone gets rid of parts.

Or do what I had to do and buy another one to cannabalize. :lol 

You can always sell the second one. :D 

Why they discontinued the Jerker, I will never know. It is hands down the best thing Ikea produced.

5. Dark_Rage

Dark_Rage Jaded Member

Thanks for the tip. I'm contemplating on buying the PC Tower shelf, but my PC is an Antec P182 and weigh a ton.

My current Frankenstein-ghetto table is 55" x 31", so I hope the Jerker isn't too deep (small room). Can you tell me how what dimensions are your desk? That's the exact model I want. But I'm also seeing desks w/ a circular inward grove and the pull out sliding desks at the sides, it's hard to find out what those dimensions are.

6. Razerwire

News Credits:
    I can get you the measurements tomorrow. I can't seem to find the tape measure right now. :lol 

7. Dark_Rage

Dark_Rage Jaded Member

Thanks!

I'm gonna go to ikea tomorrow to see the Fredrik in person, then I'll buy a used one, lol.