Customs: Any ideas on ROTF Breakaway wing removal?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ZombieBalls, Apr 27, 2010.

1. ZombieBalls

ZombieBalls Drives fast

Hi, I searched and couldn't find this, hope I didn't miss it. I've had decent success with pin removal on various figures but ROTF Breakaway has got me stumped. I want to take the main wings off the fuselage frame but only the flat end of the pin is visible so I can't tap it out. Also, there's a plastic retainer ring visible on each wing pin that doesn't seem to be pliable enough to collapse for removal without damaging it.

[​IMG]

I know some of you guys have done some great Breakaway paint mods so I figure it must be doable. I want to take his wings off so I can more easily work off the camo, which even with 91% alcohol is taking forever. The brown apps on his shoulder/top of intake areas came off with almost zero effort, but the wing apps aren't going anywhere. I've soaked it & used q-tips and it's still about 15% there on one wing (picture doesn't do it justice) and the silver on the edges is even more resilient. The other wing's camo has just changed it's color slightly and that is after way more elbow grease than I've ever had to put into paint removal. I'm concerned I'm just going to end up with scuffed up, dull wings that are still sporting latent camo apps.

[​IMG]

I know the cellphone pictures are lousy but to anyone who's familiar with the toy, I hope they're good enough. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Robot.MacGyver

Robot.MacGyver Improvisational Engineer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To remove the wings, Just pull straight out.
    Its a pop joint.
    It doesn't seem like it, but it is.

To remove the paint, try magic eraser and alcohol.

3. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    Yup. Just pull. They pop right off.

4. ZombieBalls

ZombieBalls Drives fast

Thanks for the help guys! It worked just like you said, but I would've never guessed it. Learned something new. It seems like they should break that way.

As for the Magic Eraser (I think that's the Mr. Clean sponge product), will that be abrasive and scratch/sand the wings? My intention with this was to have a stock Breakaway and one without the camo just to see what it looks like as I really like the natural copper color of the darker variant. I may paint some color back on to the flaps but don't plan to paint the majority of the wing once the camo apps are off.