Any Haruki Murakami fans here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by canadianguy, Nov 2, 2007.

1. canadianguy

canadianguy Active Member

Hi all,

So I don't know about anyone else here, but I'm totally enamored with Haruki Murakami's writing. Not in any weird way, mind you - but his work is just astonishing. I first discovered him via "Kafka on The Shore" a few years ago, and his latest work - "After Dark" is almost Lovecraft-ish in its creepiness and its ability to horrify you with what's unsaid more than what appears on the page itself. He has a sense of poignant nihlism that's weirdly beautiful in terms of its scope and its sense of fragility, and that really feels compelling to me.

Does anyone else follow his work? I'm curious! Has anyone else read/is anyone else reading "After Dark"? If so, I'd love to chat about it.

For the uninitiated, check out his website - www.harukimurakami.com - and let me know what you think. His work is seriously unparalelled, guys. I don't make Lovecraft comparisons lightly. I urge you to check it out.

Cheers,

Joseph

2. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    Just visited the site and read the what the book was about..

sounds mysterious and freaky... the music in the background sorta helped pushed that feeling as well..

For some reason.. the description makes me think of an manga/anime called Gantz..

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007