Any G1 MISB Collectors

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by wraith2021, Dec 17, 2011.

1. wraith2021

wraith2021 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    As of last month I started collecting G1 MISB figures, I tend to go for ungraded unless the price is right or there is a KO variant, In this case I then I just get them graded and cased. I am selling my Masterpiece and G1 Reissue collection to fund this along with my own personal funds.

Anyway, I have been searching and I can not find anywhere where collectors tend to gather, a forum or anything. Is there an insider club where people can pick up some good deals on G1 originals, I don't believe that ebay is it. What if someone was selling their collection or wanting to get a higher graded figure of what they own and wish to get rid of their old one. It just seems a bit strange that there are no places for collectors of MISB G1 figures to gather together.

What are you thoughts?

Any suggestions?

2. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

idk, i WOULD collect MISB g1's. but i'd run in to the problem of everytime i look at them, i'd want to tear the boxes open, and put the stickers on. :lol  which was always my favorite part of getting a new g1 transformer.

it is one of the major things i miss about g1. decorating my transformers with stickers.

hell, i paid 150 dollars for a g2 optimus prime, sealed, that i had planned to keep sealed.

i kept it sealed for a whole TWO HOURS.

then i gave into the craving and opened up that thing :lol 

3. wraith2021

Ebay:
    $150 is not that expensive for a toy to be opened, look at the price of the Masterpiece figures and you'd have no problem opening them. I bet you would feel differently if the price of the figure was in the $600 - $1,000 range.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    The main thing that's stopping me is the price for these items.

5. Dolza_Khyron

it's the most expensive transformer i have ever bought though! :lol  well besides predaking *reissue* but, that's five...

i don't spend that much on transformers and other things i collect at all. maybe at most, 400 a year. so for me, 150 dollars is a lot of money. especially when at the time i was only making minimum wage.

but i bet, i wouldn't feel differently AT ALL if i had fortress max, sealed, right before me. I would want to open that thing up! even if i had one already opened and all that, i'd still want to!

that g2 optimus is actually my SECOND g2 optimus.

this year, i haven't really bought any transformers, besides ones i picked up at thrift stores.

i do have a few action figures sealed, but everytime i see them i want to open them up!

which is why i have to keep the classics i have misb *because i bought a case* in the case. i keep trying to display them but it just makes me want to open the thing.

and if all i am going to do is keep it in my closet hidden away. then there really isn't much of a point in owning it to me.

150 might not be a lot of money compared to other collectors, but to me, it WAS a LOT of money.

when i buy a transformer, i want to fiddle around with it, transform it. it's almost just like an instinct. once i have one in my hands, i just want to fiddle around with it.

that g2 was the only thing i have ever bought to keep sealed. and it managed to stay sealed a whole two hours after it arrived.

the other things that are sealed, are only still sealed because i hid them away so i won't look at them. and that's the only reason. everytime i see them though, i want to open them!

though one of them i only have sealed, because some idiot thought it was a good idea, to make all the accessories GOLD plastic. :lol  stupid kenner. *i kid, i miss kenner!* :( *

6. wraith2021

Ebay:
    I was in the same boat. I got all the reissues because the price of originals were amazingly expensive. I completed my collection and moved onto Masterpiece figures, then I decided I would get just one, just one to say I have an original in my collection.

I got this [​IMG]

Everything else paled in comparison, and within a week of getting the first one I found myself looking at more and ended up getting this

[​IMG]

Then I saw this was up for grabs at a reasonable price, and I am gonna get it cleaned up graded and cased.

[​IMG]

And while I was waiting for Powermaster Optimus Prime to arrive in the post I saw this, and sold my Masterpiece collection to get it. I now have this on the way through the post.

[​IMG]

7. wraith2021

Ebay:
    The problem is opening a MISB G1 is really bad, its destroying a piece of preserved Transformers history, and any fan of the franchise should respect that. I have nothing but utter respect for those who had the foresight to keep these originals in such great condition for the past 25 years

8. Dolza_Khyron

and that is exactly why i do not collect misb g1's. because i would be destroying them.

9. wraith2021

Ebay:
    And thus my need to find other MISB G1 Collectors

10. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I'm sure you can take a look around the Junkion Exchange. There are also the Social Groups here on TFW.

11. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    In the Social Groupe area as Star Saber mentioned there is a AFA collectors groupe. PM Da_Last_To_Walk as I think he can get you clearance to get into the groupe.

On the subject at hand, I would love to go AFA but the money thing is just not there. Some of the AFA toys will go for 4 diggits and that aint happening. I stick to MIB with evertyhing originals (meaning insert, papperwork and so on and of course a minty figure). The next best thing in my book to misb is MIB.

Anyway good luck with your quest, it is a hard and long one no mather if you go misb or mib in terms of collecting G1 vintage. Of course it helps if you got a high paying work ;) 

I myself have like 9 MIB items to go and a few carded ones and then Im done, has taken a few years.

12. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I have some sealed G1, love to get more but I'm waiting until the twins are out of diapers. Wow is it expensive! :) 

13. wraith2021

Ebay:
    I have messaged Da_Last_To_Walk. I will now just sit back with my fingers crossed and hope he responds and lets me in his group. Thanks a lot for the help and advice.

14. wraith2021

Ebay:
    Yeah, some are expensive, but you can drop on some great deals if you search about for ungraded ones, as long as you have an eye for grading.

I have it down pat, that I can judge accurately what a figure will grade as, thus what I am willing to pay for it, and if the price is too high, you can usually push them down by showing them transformers of higher grade that has sold for what they are asking. It doesn't work with everyone, but it worked with my Powermaster Optimus Prime.

15. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Like some have said keeping them sealed you are preserving transformers toys history. I keep most of my valuable modern transformers sealed for that very reason even if they're comparably cheaper. My MP-4, MP-8X and nearly all my Binaltech are all sealed just to name a few.

Back to your question though, if there are any MISB G1 collectors around they are few and far between since buying MISB ain't cheap especially in the current economic environment. I remember I wanted to buy some MISB g1 figures but man was my ass bleeding after I saw those prices. I only buy MIB now LOL. Oh but I did manage to buy a few MISB, one was G1 Defensor El greco for 550USD !!!! And I would go so far to say it is close to C10 condition! And MISB Wilder for 180USD also in near perfect condition. I think those will be my only ever MISB purchases. But gd luck to your collection for that kind your gonna need lots of it :p 

16. wraith2021

Ebay:
    I don't know, I seem to be doing well with my collection, only thing slowing me down is funds, I've been selling my existing collection to gain some quick cash, but also been saving to get some more, but I feel there are better finds than on ebay.

17. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    I hear ya, ebay can be rediculous at times and then surprises you other times. Nevertheless I don't think I'd be selling anything off to fund buying G1 MISB figs, maybe all of my reissues but that would only afford maybe 1 or 2 if I'm lucky, that ain't worth it for me. There's no way i'm selling my other figures yet but like I said gd luck to ya. Who knows I might see yr collection online yrs from now and then my mouth will start salivating ;) 

18. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Am a MISB collector but only for Encore series because for myself,i do not collect G1 vintage TF.

19. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^This.

If I start collecting MISB G1 figures, I would have to buy 2 of each figure. 1 MISB and and one loose that is near-mint and complete so I don't give in to temptation to open the other figure.

20. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have only my absolute Fav's MISB, Contructicons, Superion Giftset, Dinobots, Bludgeon and a few others.
    But the rest are Mostly MIB, Stickers unapplied and ready to go. I hope to swap out my MIB for MISB one day but thats the beauty, there no real rush.