Any fish keepers here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by misterd, Dec 6, 2006.

1. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

My wife and I are looking to get an aquarium for the home. We're looking for something about 50 gal (basically needs to fit in a 40-41" wide section of the wall) tank for freshwater fish. We haven't been that thrilled with what's available at local shops, and I'm having little luck online. Any one know of some good online stores where we can get a decent deal? And any other advice would be greatly appreciated as well.

2. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

For tanks, check out sites such as piranha-fury.com and look in the classifieds there, you'll find descent deals. Another site is waterwolves.com

Check out for supplies:
    petsolutions.com
    drfostersmith.com
    bigalsonline.com

3. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Yeah, drfostersmith and bigalsonline is where I get everything. Been keeping fish for almost 30 years and I love those sites. Great prices and occasionally some awesome deals on clearanced stuff too.

4. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Send Elvin Pena a PM. I don't see him in GD that often these days, so he might miss this thread, but I recall him being an avid fish fan.

5. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    Hey misterd, I happen to have a six sided 29 gallon aquarium,and I love this
    thing, I have it full of different non-aggressive fish like Guppy's,Platy's,and so
    forth. So I advise you to get one of them,and it really cuts down on space if you
    have a small room.You could also try Petco. I think you can buy one online and
    depending on where you live go pick it up at their store.I really love this one more
    than other aquariums,I have had lots over the years from 10 gallons up to 50
    gallons. So I strongly recommend getting one like mine.

6. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Only advice I can give is this: When you buy fish, don't buy from Walmart. They don't last very long, and if you mix them with healthier fish, they usually die too.

7. skywarped

skywarped Member

what kind of fish are you looking to get?

some fish like taller tanks, some types of fish like shallow tanks. but that really only if you are getting into specialty fish.

just do some research on the types of fish you like. find out how big they get, temperment, and what type of water conditions they can tolorate, like ph and tempature.

and when u set up your tank, let the water circulate for around 2- 3 weeks before putting fish in it.

fish are so easy to kill, i've been breeding for years. i killed so many fish when i first started out its rediculous. so just do your research and dont get dicouraged if you kill a bunch.

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i am the baitmaster. are you the fishkeeper?

...my dad keeps lots of em. we've got 2 ponds and 3 aquariums back home.

yes. PONDS. with turtles even. i'll post pics *digs up folder*

9. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I read BigAlsOnline as Big-Ass-Oline for some reason

10. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

You mean cycle the tank for a few weeks. You can cycle using a fishless method or with fish (usually goldfish are used cause they are cheap and dirty.)

If you're looking into piranhas or have any questions about them, I've kept quite a few species of them for the last 6 years.

11. misterd

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

No interest in keeping pirahnas, thanks. :p 

The tank is more for the entertainment of my wife and cats - so we're going to look for something "pretty". Maybe some chiclids. While it's been a number of years since I kept fish (used to keep them for a local nature museum), I know the basic stuff to look for and plan on doing more homework once we get the actual tank.

What "we" (meaning my wife) are looking for is a ~ 50 gal tank with a bow front, plus standard supplies. We're looking online because Petco didn't have much, and Petsmart didn't deliver (and the online stores didn't seem to have what we want).

Anyone know whether acrylic or glass is better?

12. Devastator001

Devastator001 Prepare for Devastation TFW2005 Supporter

Be careful with Chiclids. They are often aggressive and can be quite difficult to keep. Two members of the Chiclids (angels and discus) are finicky fish that requires optimal conditions. They may also eat down your plants, if you plan on getting natural aquatic plants for your aquarium.

13. skywarped

skywarped Member

acrylic and glass both have there pros and cons.

acrylic is lighter, doesnt have the silicone seal it has rounded corners. but is very expensive and very easy to scratch.

glass has the typical fishtank look to it. but is much heavier than acrylic, and doesn't look quite as nice.

glass does get alot more expensive when u add the bow at the front like you want, so it might be pretty close in price.

hope this helps

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    actually piranhas are docile if bred since young with other fishes, my dads got a couple.

its the oscars that are vicious.

15. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Strange Oscars then. I've always found them to be the aquatic version of a puppy dog. Very friendly and lots of personality. I had one for 12 years before he died of hole in head. He demanded you come to the tank in the morning and say hi. He commanded the living room. He was also very fond of playing his version of ping pong. Damn, I miss that fish.

16. misterd