Any fans of "Bullshit!" here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thefrozenred, Apr 7, 2006.

1. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    I just finished watching the first season, and I love this show. Some stuff I agreed with beforehand (genetically modified/engineered foods, self helplessness, etc), but others (environmental hysteria, creationism, bottled water, etc) were either disturbing, scary, and/or surprising.

It's like "Mythbusters," but for grownups, and with fewer experiments and more analytic deconstruction of bullshit. And a lot more swearing and humor.

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I didn't know about this show. Sounds like I'll have to check it out.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    There's a TV show called "Bullshit"?

News to me.

Edit: Oh, it's on Showtime? No wonder.

4. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    It's basically Penn and Teller doing a show for fun, wherein they reveal scams, frauds, or just people being scum by taking advantage of others, in an angry-comedic way. Here and there you get Penn and Teller humor and magic, but mostly, it's outrage over some of the stuff that's allowed (and occurs) in this country.

It's out on DVD (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00019PDNY/qid=1144469089/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-8673102-0368903?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130 and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006FO5IC/qid=1144469089/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-8673102-0368903?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130), so rental shouldn't be out of the question. I highly, highly recommend it for anyone that enjoys skeptical inquiry that is more biased on empirical data and facts over unfounded claims. :) 

5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Ohh, I have heard of this. I remembered when you mentioned Penn and Teller. Never had a chance to check it out, so I guess I forgot about it.

6. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I have the first season on DVD, I don’t agree with all of there options on everything but I think all and all it’s a really good show.

7. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Curious; what do you disagree with?

8. Seth Buzzard

News Credits:
    There was only a couple of segments I remember not being fully “on board” with, and it was some time ago when I saw them I would have to dig my copy up and look for them. Beside I think some of them dealt with topics we discourage around here.

My point was even if you don’t buy into everything they have to say it’s worth checking out.

9. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

1st season was great. 2nd Season... you can tell they ran out of ideas.

10. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

I saw two episodes on the Showtime free weekend recently. It seems like a good show. I saw the boy scout one and life counselors or something like that. The only thing I thought was weird about the scout one was the date they said all the problems started. They said 80 something. I was in Scouts until 95 or 96, and it didn't seem that intolerent. Then again I lived in a small town so it may have just been none of the things wrong were an issue there.

Anyway this makes the second show I'd like to get some premium channels for. This and Bill Mahr(sp). I miss him being on regular tv.

11. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Not quite. Mythbusters isn't exactly for juveniles. Most of the time, P&T don't really do nearly as effective a job in debunking. BS is more Mythbusters Lite. Its fun, and it gives you something to think about, but even they freely admit their own biases, and that they don't go into a topic with an open mind. Each ep is a 30 minute hit piece done with tongue firmly in cheek. I would say if a particular piece touches a nerve, do your own independent research rather than just swallow P&Ts own patented brand of bullshit.

With all that said, I find the show quite entertaining, and try hard to catch every episode (though there are many early ones I missed that Showtime doesn't seem to want to repeat). In fact, I am thinking of picking up a set of the censored DVDs so I can show the bottled water episode to my students.

12. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got season 1 & 2 on DVD. I like the show, but don't get Showtime, so i have to see it on DVD.

I agree with most of them, but a few i may or may not have fully agreed on..

One of my fav things they did was doctor up a sex toy and showed it to 'alien abductees' and they described that as being the probe. :lol 

I also liked in the recycling one where they added about 7 or 8 new recycling bins and asked the homeowner if they would be willing to sort it out using all 12 bins.. and then made them do a test of it.. Priceless.

13. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

In fairness, most probes (and many other objects that need to be inserted) do look like sex toys. That's a good example of a bullshit point done to mock their target, rather than an argument that holds much water. Of course, it is still funny.

14. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Just watched episode 2x5 and...recycling is bullshit...? For paper and plastic at least?

:( 

15. Seth Buzzard

News Credits:
    Where is adding more bins a problem? We use to have 3 bins for that but a couple month ago they took the 3 old ones away and replaced it with one big blue can for everything.

16. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    In the episode, the extra bins were basically for sorting garbage that would (and does) normally all go into garbage bags anyway, such as food contaminated cardboard, diapers, etcetc. They also had a bin for "colored paper" and "cans with paper labels." And, as sadly amusing as it was, they emptied two garbage bags for the homeowners, and asked them to sort the garbage into these 9 different bins.

In any case, I'm also all for having the three bins instead of the one big recycling dumpster. I felt like I had more control that my shit was actually getting recycled with the three little bins, anyway.

17. NSJ23

NSJ23 Binalternator Lover

I loved it when I had Showtime, but I don't have that channel anymore. :( 

18. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

I've never heard of this show and actually thought the thread was going to be about the card game of the same name.....

Don't go too far there. Adam and Jamie have lots of experience setting up FX stuff for Hollywood, but I don't think that either one of them is actually a scientist or holds any kind of engineering degree. And either way, a lot of their stuff seems obviously biased to me and their methods of testing are practically never really hard core science. They seem to be more about having fun testing myths in whatever fashion they think will get them the biggest ratings (i.e. things that cause big explosions, things that are gross, etc.) rather than being really concerned about the scientific ramifications of their tests.

Plus their personalities pretty much annoy the hell out of me, but I watch the show anyway for some reason....prolly those big explosions I was talking about earlier.

19. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:

Yup. I've read statistics elsewhere that jived with that. The extra resouces that have to go into the recycled product plus the energy to re-pulp are much higher than the energy costs to produce new.

The flip side though is that without recycling those products get landfilled.

20. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Don't forget that inefficient sorting!

I worked at a recycling plant once. Everything off the trucks was just dumped onto one big conveyor belt, and our job was to sort it all AGAIN.

Multiple bins are, in fact, bullshit.