Any doctor or nursing students?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shipwreck, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

I just got back from my doctors and he wants me to get all this blood tests done and I was wondering if anyone out there knows what they stand for.

HEPATIC FUNCTON PANEL
    COMP METABOLIC PANEL w/eGFR
    CBC w/DIFF
    ANA w/REFLEX TITER
    C-Reactive Protien
    HEMOGLOBIN A1C
    THS W/Reflex T-4, Free,
    UA, Complete, Reflex to Culture
    LIPID pnl W/rfl dldl
    Direct LDL
    Lyme
    Epstien Barr Iqq-Igm?

2. keebs

keebs 32 Oh-Zee Killah

HEPATIC FUNCTON PANEL - Liver Function
    COMP METABOLIC PANEL w/eGFR
    CBC w/DIFF - Blood count, showing exact numbers for WBC's
    ANA w/REFLEX TITER
    C-Reactive Protien
    HEMOGLOBIN A1C - Hemoglobin levels
    THS W/Reflex T-4, Free,
    UA, Complete, Reflex to Culture
    LIPID pnl W/rfl dldl - Fat count
    Direct LDL -Cholesterol levels
    Lyme - Test for Lyme disease
    Epstien Barr Iqq-Igm? - Test for Epstien Barr

I don't start the program until the fall but I'm in Anatomy II right now. Just seems like some basic tests with a couple disease specific ones at the bottom. Also, the titer test and reflex ones are for specific bacteria/viruses. Some one else might know better than me. I could have my professor check it out.

We just got done doing a section on the liver and it pretty much controls a lot of stuff with the blood. If you've got a bad liver, then it can affect bleeding, clotting and most everything having to do with blood. I heard that a healthy liver can be sold for like $200,000.

3. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

Alright thanks. I think he might be worried I might be diabetic or have something wrong with my thyroid or liver

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm a PA student, graduate in December.

Bottom line is that your doctor is casting a pretty wide net. The possibilities he suggested are the most likely, but he's also checking for mono (the EBV test) and Lyme disease (from ticks, not exactly common). I'm guessing you have pretty nonspecific complaints, but that you're fatigued and possibly experiencing some weight gain.

The Hemoglobin A1C and the Chem panel are for the diabetes. The former indicates how well your blood sugar has been controlled over the last three months, while the latter panel checks your blood sugar right then (among other things). Diabetes is suggested by values greater than 6.5% and 120 mg/dl, but ONLY suggested.

But again, it's a pretty wide net. He's not exactly sure what he's looking for and you must have pretty good insurance--if you don't, you oughta reconsider some of the tests, at least initially (EBV, ANA, and Lyme, in my opinion).