any computer builders in here?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by e3nine, Jan 28, 2008.

1. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    If so, what you got? :D 

Any thoughts on the new Intel Core 2 45NM chips? I'm looking forward to the Q9450, but that damn E8400 is so tempting.

2. MPollard

MPollard Well-Known Member

They sound good, and probably perform quite well and with low power consumption and low heat generation, but new chips are always more expensive. I'd wait until the prices come down, after the first sequel comes out. Then get the "old" version (the one that's new now) at a more reasonable price.

3. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I used to back in the day but I don't really follow that stuff anymore.

4. Heatbag

Heatbag Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I am thinking really hard about the E8500 , I heard these babys have 6megs of cache and can overclock like crazy. I won't go quad core yet, as I don't encode video or use multicore proggy's. Just have to decide if I am gonna stay on the crossfire bandwagon or jumpship and go sli. Either way just have to figure out which mobo to go with.

5. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    Yeah, I do it. I don't have the bank to drop on the newest hardware though. Heck, it was cheeper to just buy a new machine when I was looking to upgrade the HD's and RAM in my wife's last box.

6. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Yeah. Built my rig a while ago. It's not state of the art, because I sort of balanced cheap with expensive, but it's still got plenty of muscle (EVGA 640mb 8800 GTS, E6600 2.4Ghz Dual Core, 2gigs of corsair low latency RAM) to run anything I throw at it (including Crysis).

My only regret is that I used an old case that I'd bought when I built my first computer in the early college days, which has a front bezel with enough green LEDs to make it impossible to sleep when the damn thing is turned on. Can't leave it on overnight to download anything unless I want to feel like aliens are invading my bedroom.

The new stuff does look awfully nice, I always like poring over the tech reviews at bit-tech.net, but while my current computer is still chugging along, I can't see myself upgrading any time soon.

7. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I used to build systems for friends and family, but I got sick of the random tech support phonecalls even though they have the contact information for every manufacturer for every part in their system.

I still build my own though. Quad core... I just don't see a point right now. Nothing really takes advantage of it yet outside a couple of games, and it doesn't make a huge difference. Other than that, unless you're trying to encode videos while playing a game, I'd save my money and stick with dual core, spend that extra cash elsewhere in the system.

8. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    I am (don't laugh) sticking with my overclocked Celeron for now.

I'm reppin' 8 gigs of ddr2 with crossfired 3870s so don't be all up in my grill about the proccy.
    It's been giving me a reliable 3.2 gHz for years.

WHAT DID I SAY ABOUT MY GRILL AND THE PROCCY

9. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Ew. Celery.

10. autobotguy

autobotguy Well-Known Member

Well my system consists of the following:
    Processor: AMD OPTY 165 (2.7Ghz OC)
    Motherboard: ASRock 939Dual-SATA2
    RAM: 2GB OCZ Platinum PC3200
    Video: PNY 7900GT (636/1434)
    Sound: SB Audigy2 ZS
    Storage: WD 80GB SATA / Maxtor 320GB SATA / Lite-on DVD/CD-RW Power: Antec NeoHE550
    All cooled with DangerDen and Swiftech watercooling equipment.
    Here is a pic of my system...
    [​IMG]

Looking to do a total upgrade this summer to whatever is the best bang for the buck. :) 

11. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I am on a home-built PC that I recently rebuilt, but it's nothing really fancy. On a shoestring budget, I'm happy with it, though.

AMD Athlon 64 2.2 Ghz
    2 GB RAM
    120 GB internal EIDE HD
    320 GB internal SATA HD
    500 GB external USB 2.0 HD
    ATI Radeon X1300 graphics card
    Diamond eXtreme 7.1 Surround sound card with coaxial audio out
    3 FireWire ports
    Bluetooth
    2 monitors

Like I said, nothing to write home about, but I'm happy with it.

12. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I replaced my crappy HP (with ALL of 64mb of ram) in October with an off the shelf, Circuit City HP that is basically a 2.4 ghz with 2gb of Ram and 128mb of video ram.

since my gaming skills are subpar and i mostly do word processing, it gets me by.

if feeling bold later this year, i may upgrade the video card and set up my machine as a media center in my modest little office.
    now if i could get the local college to sell me one of their used projectors, i could have a real theater....

other than that, i am good.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  13. KingForm

KingForm Banned

Could anybody recommend me a good video card? I have all the things to build a decent PC on order, minus a video card.

I just need something cheap that'll let me run WoW.

14. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I used to build computers back in the day, but haven't in awhile. I've helped family and friends with both computer and networking issues in the past.

Now, if I had the time and money I'd help to rebuild My Mom's desktop computer. She likes to mess with photos and has a computer I've done some basic stuff with, but could be better with more RAM and larger hard drive. It only has 512MB of RAM, and works from a 40GB HDD.

15. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:

define 'cheap'...

if you're willing to wait a little while apparently nvidia is getting ready to start releasing some new dual processor cards (like ati just did) which may cause them to drop the price of the current generation cards a bit. In that case I'd say go for something like the 8800 gts maybe

16. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

I'll recommend the HD 3850 in either 256 MB or 512 MB variety. If you're running games at greater than 1280 x 1024 go for the 512 MB one, otherwise you can save cash and judg get the 256 MB versions.

As for the general question of this thread, I just put together the following systerm:

Intel Dual Core e2160 1.8 GHz OC'd to 3.0 GHz
    Gigabyte P35 DS3L Mobo
    2 GB G.Skill PC6400 dual channel downclocked to 333 MHz with timings tightened to 4 4 4 12 (wanted it to run 1:1 with the FSB)
    Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    Corsair 450w PSU
    NZXT Alpha Case
    Visiontek Radeon HD 3850 512 MB
    Seagate 250 GB SATA HDD
    Samsung SATA 20x DVD Burner w/Lightscribe
    Also replaced one of the rear 120mm fan with a blue LED one for some extra light

Put it all together for ~700, luckily I had a copy of WinXP Professional and Office 2003 lying around so I didn't have to worry about those. Been very stable so far, and runs everything I throw at it well enough at 1680 x 1050. I just couldn't justify buying all top of the line stuff, as I usually try to hit the sweet spot in price/performance when building or buying a computer.

17. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    If you can find one, get an ATI 3850 or 3870. Entry-level card that's good for pretty much any game you're likely to come across in the next year or so. And when the prices go down, you can buy a second one and use them in tandem to match any other card on the market.

18. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just make sure you have a power source that can handle it.

Years back my parents got an e-machine, and I convinced them to buy a graphics card for it. futureshop installed it, and when we got it home we couldn't get the computer to run anything higher than 640 x 480 because the video card was too much for the power source

19. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    Don't skimp on a power supply.

Power supplies tend to fail more than other pc parts as well.

20. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Not only that, but when the PS goes, it usually takes several other parts of the PC with it, usually the Mobo and if you're unlucky, the processor too. You're very lucky if you have a power source die and it's the ONLY thing damaged. A reliable power source is a definite must.