Any Chefs around?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Hello there, I'm wondering if there are any chefs around? I'm thinking of going to a cooking school soon and would like some advice/input/comments.
    I'm sick of being at home 24/7, I'm sick of cooking Bertolli, and it's damn hard to find a job in this economy. Especially when you haven't been working in over a decade.
    Back in 99-'02 I've attended college and earned two associates degrees. One was in Automotive, and the other in Graphic Design. I did very well, but nothing came of it. My ultimate dream job was to design concept cars, but I just don't have the talents for it. Plus, the school I wanted to go to in California is just way too freaking expensive.
    After Graphic Design, I wanted to do CAD work for my Dad. I tried learning CAD at our local tech-school and found that too hard for me as well. Plus, that was the same time my mom was going downhill with her breast cancer. When she died, I lost interest and haven't worked since 98.
    Anyway, I think I've got a nack for cooking and I think I might enjoy it. Any chefs on here that can make suggestions for a starter?

2. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know it's not exactly relevant, but I will share my story.

I enjoy baking, so for a while during some hard times I took up a job as a baker. There's a mile of difference between cooking for yourself or a dinner party and cooking in a restuarant or cafe environment. It feels less creative and more like a conveyor belt.

3. David

David . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have an associates degree in culinary art and restaurant management. The most important thing is to do is work hard and become friends with your teachers. They all have connections and without their help you will not go anywhere.

Remember working in this industry takes two things, patience and being fucking crazy.
    So if you like to work on holidays, weekends and on your birthday, then you will be welcomed with open arms to the biz.

If ya have any questions feel free to ask or shoot me a pm.

4. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I envy all that can cook, the most complex thing I can cook is cereal.

That isn't even cooking.....

5. Tigertrack

I can't even use a grill! I'm a 36 year old man for crying out loud and I can't even grill a hamburger! LOL! Sounds pathetic doesn't it?
    Anyway, I'm more interested in learning how to cook more for myself, my Dad, and my family. As well as perhaps an occasional job here and there. I'm definitely no 9-5er and I enjoy my weekends, holidays, b-days.
    But, if it can lead into a full-time job that pays well, why not? Thank's guys!

6. red4

red4 Banned

The cleverist trick you need to know is how not to burn everything. Once you've got that nailed, you're good to try whatever you want.

7. red4

red4 Banned

I cook burgers on the stove. Maybe you should put a frying pan on the grill; it's the same thing, I think.

8. Tigertrack

Well, I can skillet a Bertolli and I can cook speghetti to that perfect tenderness. Noodles are a snap. I'd love to learn how to make my own speghetti meat sauce without having to buy store-bought sauce.
    I love steak and all that stuff.
    Oh, I have learned how to "reheat" crab-legs! Yummy! :D  So there are a few things, but not really a chef. Still not sure I can properly cook a burger.

9. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    my mom and sisters have been teaching me how to cook since I was 9

and one of my Crock pot Chili's got third place at my Church's Chili contest this year.

I'm pretty sure I can get by

10. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

Having gone through a career crisis about two years ago I did some research on this line of work and found that the average wages do not justify the amount of schooling required. Not only will you owe student loans at the end of your education, you can only hope to break the $20/hr range after a few years, but you will most likely be making around $14-$16/hr.
    Also, like Doomboy536 said, when your pumping out dishes like a conveyor belt, it takes alot of the fun out of it. I don't want to be dismal, but at 36, you gotta think long term.
    You only have 20-30 of real income earning years left. That's not a whole lot. You need something that will pay well now and pay better as you continue your education.
    Basically, what I'm trying to say is, look into a career with a unionized trade. Be it carpenter, pipefitter, electrician, etc. Average starting wage is $20+/hr, benefits, pension, education. It's hard work but it's worth it.
    Either way whatever you choose, ya gotta stick with it, best of luck.

11. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    This is why I don't wanna cook at a restaurant. It loses that spark that makes it fun. It becomes impersonal because you are following recipes on a preset menu and cooking in an area that doesn't quite feel like a kitchen. You also are not seeing or hearing your "guests" as they takes those first bites into the food you prepared for them.

Sure you get paid for it but it's not the same as cooking for yourself and family/friends. I'd rather fire up the grill and smoker and have a BBQ any day than make a living making food for faceless crowds.

Now I'm starting to wish I had charcoal so I could serve up some burgers, ribs and baked jalapeno poppers.

12. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I worked in restaurants for about 10 years and if, at 36 years old, the above is the extent of your cooking ability, I would advise you to look into a different line of work, especially if you don't want to work nights, weekends, and holidays.

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

A good cook is someone who can follow directions from a recipie. A chef is someone with an innate talent for subtly enhancing those recipies with his insight. A great chef is someone who can take what he knows and invent totally new food experiences from it. I enjoy cooking quite a bit, and I'm somewhere in the middle skill-wise, but what I would tell you is learn from a school. There is so much to know and with a base of knowledge they can give you the sky is the limit. Most people learn backwards, from trial and error. Learning at an academy is learning from the ground up.

And you know what? Forget about the average rate of compensation. If you have a passion for it and become an above average chef, then your rate of compensation will eventually become above average.

14. Tigertrack

Are there good classes out there for just being a basic home-cook? I don't think a full-fledge school is right for me as I don't see it as a future.
    However, I do want to learn how to actually cook food and not simply reheat things.

15. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This may sound silly and simplistic but Food Network. In particular Good Eats and 30 Minute Meals. Both are rather instructional in nature.

I also just like to cook and started by picking out a recipe and going to it. After watching crazy amounts of cooking shows I can do all kinds of stuff now, sometimes I even just start with an idea and throw stuff on the stove (no recipes involved).

16. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    Bork bork? :p 

Seems like you got some skills already so i dunno whether learning a new trades gonna help (tho it never hurts to learn something new). maybe its just the way u apply urself? Coz the way i see it regardless of market a chef is just another trade where you need to get employed to get experience. Why not try business school or marketing/advertising or something sales training related? Something that actually jumps during economic downturn? Because otherwise youre just learning another niche skill where you still need to look for the work.

17. Tigertrack

I feel like I'm at a point in my life where I know I need to do something, but I have no idea what.

18. red4

red4 Banned

You could try cooking lots of food, stalking individual people, knocking them out, stealing their wallets, and leaving a large tray of food next to their unconscious body.

"Did somebody knock me out and take my wal- Hey! This food is delicious!"

19. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

In that case, it's a very good idea and safe bet for you to start watching Aarti Party and Good Eats on the food network, and following their recipies meticulously. Just from one recipie you will learn science and techniques that exponentially improve your cooking. Aarti Sequeira and Alton Brown are extremely knowledgeable and entertaining.

20. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

This is so sad. I don't understand how people can go through life and NOT know how to cook. This is one of the basic fundamentals of life: to be able to prepare food for yourself.