Any chance of Hasbro re releasing the classic line?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by gamer, Jul 13, 2011.

1. gamer

gamer Well-Known Member

And this time maybe some more characters along with the old.

2. Blurr ftw

Blurr ftw Quick draw

generations and reveal the shied are kinda classics with new figures

3. mentok27

mentok27 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah. Not straight play for ply re-releases. Maybe the same molds as the same characters but with updated paints one day but I don't think there's enough demand for exactly the same thing, a different yet similar approach would probably net more customers.

4. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Many of the main characters got rereleased in some way in RTS line. Rodimus, Bumblebee, Prime (as G2 prime).

5. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    That was a new mold, not a re-release.

Bumblebee & Starscream both got re-releases with updated G1/movie paint schemes, as did Cyclonus & Rodimus with extraordinarily shitty "anime" repaints, but so far still no sign of the Prime & Megatron Voyagers for some reason. Pretty sure we'll never the other original Classics (Astrotrain, Mirage, Cliffjumper, etc.) until they start releasing Classics as a Commemorative 2.0 line.

6. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    The line itself is supposed to continue, but it won't be for awhile and it won't be called Classics. Patience young padawan.

7. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Well in Megatron's case, the laws regarding gun look-alikes have changed since the original release. Hasbro can't use the Classics voyager mold anymore.

8. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

Maybe in 15-20 years time, like the G1 reissues. I can't think of any other lines that have been reissued, but i'm no expert.

9. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Beast Wars stuff has been reissued, only a couple of years back.

10. gamer

gamer Well-Known Member

link?

11. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

About 15 years after they were originally ?

12. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Check out the resource section for Universe classics 2.0 Starscream and reveal the shield bumblebee.

13. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Classics Bumblebee was rereleased in the RTS line with an improved paint scheme.

Classics Rodimus was rereleased with Cyclonus two-pack with a worse paint scheme.

Universe Cyclonus was rereleased with Rodimus two pack with an improved paint scheme.

It may be possible to see more in the future?

14. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually think it's more likely than some (I suspect, hoping that the value of their toys will only increase) would care to admit.

Hasbro had NO IDEA what a hit it had on its hands with the first Classics line, or even Universe 2.0. It's only the last year or two where its become clear how many fans are trying to get hold of some of the earlier figures, and how much money they're going for on the secondary market.

I see potentially two approaches, with the first being far more likely:

1) They continue as-is, and the next iteration of Classics (whatever it's called) will have some new characters, but also some updated-paint versions of older figures e.g. Astrotrain (in Henkei/animation colours), Ramjet (ditto), Jetfire etc. This gets old moulds out there again - even old characters - but with still something "new" on them to maximise sales to existing owners of that figure. We've seen this with Universe 2.0 Starscream, RTS Hot Rod, Cyclonus, Bumblebee etc.

2) They relaunch the line (I can almost seen them doing it in G1-inspired packaging, much like Hasbro's Star Wars The Vintage Collection uses elements of the old 1970s/80s packaging to package their 'definitive' versions of those characters) and re-release older figures alongside new ones e.g. wave 1 might be Trailbreaker, Blitzwing (both new), Grimlock, Ramjet and Prowl (old). This gives Hasbro the benefit of a "line refresh" and some easy re-releases/repaints alongside new stuff. Collectors with the existing figures will be compelled to buy the slightly repainted/updated packaging stuff, and people who don't have them will also obviously get them. Everyone's a winner.
    For maximum buyage, Hasbro would probably number them e.g. Classics #01, #02 etc (there's nothing like a numbering system to make completists out of us all).

Incidentally, there has never been a Transformers line called "Classics", so if they released a whole line with that name it would technically be new...

15. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Some. possibly.

All. Doubt it.

16. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

As long as they re-release Skywarp, then yeah-- I hope so.

17. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    honestly i don't want them to revisit the past, i understand people missed out on some, so did i, i'd rather them continue to make new stuff and not waste resources to just rerelease older figures and characters for a handful of people

i know it sounds selfish but i ain't trying to be, that's life. I spend $50 for my magnus and $50 for my skywarp, just be patient, getting deals is not a problem. i got them as they came out mostly

18. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

He specified characters being re-released, not figures. Nice try though.

19. Timesynch

Timesynch Is a Bad Hombre!

News Credits:

^ This. Skywarp deserves his own individual release (preferably in the same updated design scheme as Generations Thundercracker for a more integrated Seekers look). I mean, hell, they gave an individual release to Acid Storm of all characters. It'd be a nice final hurrah for the mold (outside of an official CHUG Sunstorm, anyway).

I wouldn't be averse to re-releases of the Classics line of characters. There's still money to be had there once the movie mania dies down, and to coincide with the TF Prime toy line release, once new fans are brought into the fold with the movie and become interested in the original G1 source. And it'd satisfy older fans who missed the first Classics boat. Could potentially bring more money to invest in new engineering and characters/figures.

20. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually there have been two :D  first there was one in Europe in the late 80s where they re-released a lot of the original 84/85 toys again. And the Classics line referred to here was actually labelled as classics on the shipping cases.

I really want to see Astrotrain released again in colours akin to the Henkei version, only problem is he has aged as much as Starscream.