Antique, collectibles market takes a hit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Foster, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I thought this was an interesting read, although it doesn't mention toy collectors specifically. Makes me re-think any type of thinning of my TF collection until the recession abates.

2. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Not totally surprising to see the supply of goods increase and the demand decrease. Interesting read.

3. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Shocking... antiques and collectibles have a market, and it's taking a hit along with other markets?

4. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Couldn't anyone just make an article about any given field of retail taking a hit right now? Why would it be in any way news to say one particular market is doing bad? I think right now a market that's doing good would be more news worthy.

5. LilithMorrigan

LilithMorrigan Banned

I guess I won't be selling mom's thimble collection.

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    With the amount of business our members do on eBay, I thought a 31 percent drop in earnings might be interesting to some TFWers.

I don't see any excuse for the attitude.

7. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    She has a point though.

And I don't believe this article really focuses on our unique market as much as it does the old-school traditional collectable market, which would be antiques, baseball cards, paintings, etc.

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, never claimed it did. I'd have tossed it in the eBay or TFGD forums, or even Toyark (no, use Toyark.com!) if it had specifically addressed plastic crack.

In any case, I've also started to notice less competition and lower prices on some TFs on my watchlist. I'd call it a buying opportunity if you have the cash and the market continues to soften.

I'd also recommend holding off on selling, if possible. And I was wondering if other sellers and buyers are seeing this as well.

9. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I've got a large portion of my collection that I want to sell, but right now don't see that I could get what the actual worth of the figure is. I want to sell my BotCon 2008 Megatron/Rodimus set (MISBag, for those curious!) but where I could get upwards of $400 for them earlier, I don't see anything really hitting even the $200 mark right now.

The value of the US dollar is so in the shitter anyways with the trillions we're spending to make sure the banks can continue not to loan money to anyone, the car dealerships can continue to fall apart, and Wall Street can give themselves $4 billion in bonuses ... it's just not a time to sell.

But it is a time to buy!

10. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Whoa, whoa, whoa... let's just back it up here.

I didn't think there was a market for antiques and collectibles. I was just shocked to learn that there was, and that it's taking a hit like everything else.

If I sounded as though I had an attitude prob, I'm sorry... it's just been one lousy day.