Anti-Virus Recommendations

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Paladin, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    My computer's apparently picked up something nasty & my usual programs (AVG & Spyware Doctor) aren't helping at all.

So, does anyone know any other good (preferably free) antiviral programs????

2. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

3. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I would try hitting it with SuperAntiSpyware and then Malware Bytes. A lot of people recommend Spybot Search and Destroy as well, but it's not my favorite.

EDIT: I just found this article too from lifehacker.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  4. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

I'll echo these two as well (though I usually do it in the opposite order). Usually what one doesn't get, the other does.

You didn't say what you picked up, but if its SpyGuard 2009, you may need to rename the files and folders to get them to work. There's another nasty one out that looks like a Vista window with an XP border. I'm not sure what it's called, but it has an Indian woman speaking when you try to log on.

5. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

ya know i have never understood the point in virus's or spyware...i mean serious wtf is it? is it just some sad fat f**k sitting at home in his basment with no girlfriend and no life and just desides to piss everyone off and make random bad virus's or something and then send them out over the net or something?

i have always wondered this but when the pc first came about was it actually the makers of the pc who made these virus's and THEN gave us Anti-Virus which we would have to pay for in the end? its just ive noticed the worst the virus is then the more expensive the anti-virus is thats needed...unless you just save alot of time and format your pc like what i usually do.

Personally i think its these Anti-Virus compenies making the virus's so we have to then pay them for the anti-virus software. it makes them TONS of money (look at norton for example) so it wouldnt suprise me in the slightest

6. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Isn't that the plot of Mission: Impossible 2, but with computer viruses instead of biological ones? :) 

7. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

You should let your computer get over it itself. I've heard it's best to let the body recover naturally from minor illness instead of always resorting anti-biotics and anti-virus every time you have a hicup.

8. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

No. It's that lonely fatass using those viruses and spyware to get your personal information and then crippling your computer so it can't be traced.

Although some viruses were born out of people wanting to be pricks.

Uh...why would the companies behind computers infect their own devices? At first, yeah it could be a lucrative deal, but once the public would figure out what they're doing, they wouldn't buy another product from them, therefore they'd lose money.

A pc manufacturer might mistakenly put the wrong bloatware on, but they wouldn't do it maliciously.

No matter how many people try to spin their conspiracy theories, it's just not the case.

Possible, but I doubt it. Freebies like AVG, Avast, Adaware, etc kill that theory because they're not only as good as their paid competition, but often times better.

9. Paladin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    OK, I've hit it with Spyware Doctor, Malaware Bytes, Avast & Avira. Each one recognizes the apparent infection & tells me its been removed, but the next scan immediately tells me that the problem is still there!

Is there anything else I can use?

10. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ESET Nod32... Great piece of software, had it on my computers for the last few years and hasn't let me down once.

11. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I've heard ESET is good, but no experience with it. You may try a CD based program like Dr. Web CureIt (I get it from SnapFiles, it's free ware and can run uninstalled from a CD or USB), as it can't get infected itself (if you run it from a CD), and I've had pretty good luck with it.

Do you know what Virus it is you have? Pray it isn't AntiVirus 2008/2009...

12. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

It sounds like you're not getting the whole thing and it's replicating itself after each scan. Have you tried restarting the system in safe mode and then running whichever scans you can in that mode?

Also, if you could give us an indication of either which virus you have or the symptoms, we might be able to tell you specifically what you're going to need to do before you remove it completely. (For example, one of the viruses embeds itself as a sound file.)

13. Paladin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well, each program seems to have tagged it as some type of Trojan.

Primary symptoms appear to be general computer slowdown & Internet Explorer opening by itself at random intervals.

14. Thorns2010

Thorns2010 Well-Known Member

Anyone able to recommend one for Mac computers?

My friend has a Mac, and according to her google.com doesn't work and neither does AIM.

But the rest of the internets work for her. This seems odd to me, and I'm not that familiar with Macs, but I would think its some kind of virus.

Anyone have any thoughts?

15. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

The problem with spyware is that people constantly put out new versions of the blasted things. The Antispyware cant fix new ones until the coders put them into the programs. Sounds like you have a newer one.

You have several choices.

1: Try a restore to a previous point. You might be able to get to a period of time prior to infection. I know a lot of people just turn this off, though.
    2: Reformat the drive and reinstall. Last resort option, but sometimes it's the only way, especially when you have spyware that keeps loading new spyware.
    3: There's a bunch of antispyware focused forums out there, with people who make it a hobby/personal vendetta to eradicate spyware. They all have their own rules on how to proceed but most of them require a HijackThis! log, so it's not a bad idea to grab a copy and get one printed out. I recommend Spyware Warriors Forum if you want to try this root. Just be mindful it IS volunteer service. Someone will eventually get to you, but it can be slow going getting the initial infections cleared and then any secondary infections. If it's a new type of spyware, there might be a lot of going back and forth as you get things cleaned up.