Answer to the fuel problem? Found by accident!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Insane Galvatron, May 28, 2007.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    http://www.wkyc.com/video/player.aspx?aid=35660&sid=68227&bw=hi&cat=2

Pretty cool. He was working on curing cancer and discovered a way to burn salt water. Whole oceans of fuel just waiting there. I'm sure the radio waves could be powered by the cars alternator, so this thing could just keep on going. Water and salt, the two most abundant resources on the planet. I just hope he sells it to a car company and not the oil companies.

2. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Car companies are in league with the oil companies. selling to either one will just ensure that the technology never gets used.

4. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

If it would keep buring once the radio waves are turned off, I could see it as being useful.

5. shade 0066

shade 0066 Live Fast, Drive Faster!

He's right. As long as the oil companies have the money to buy those plans we'll never see it, unless the government steps in and does something about it. Or in he most unlikley of events they invest in it.

6. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure it the power produced by the engine would be more than enough to keep the radio waves being produced. The only thing needed to be added would be the salt water. I see that as very useful even if it won't burn with the radio waves off.

7. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Hmm... I could see it as a rocket fuel source, potentially. The hard part is water weighs alot so it wouldn't be practical for that. Now, I could see it being used in a car. The hard part is the salt water itself which is highly alkaline, and its highly corrosive for metal parts.

8. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

thats awesome, but still years away from being possible

9. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Hmm. Saltwater, subjected to RF... what are the chances, d'you suppose, that this is at least partially electrolysis?

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    And you base that theory on...?

They don't say how intense the radio waves are, but I'm betting they take a LOT more energy to produce than what a normal car alternator can put out.

In other words, our oil problems aren't over just yet, but I can see this having some very good applications. It didn't sound like the burning salt water was putting out more energy than was being put into it, so I wouldn't consider it a fuel source - seems like more of a by-product.

11. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    That’s amazing. And he’s from my birth town apparently.

12. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, if this is true, say goodbye to high fuel prices! ::Takes a drink from $1.19 pint of bottled water::

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The same U.S. government that's currently also in league with the oil companies? Somehow I don't see that working out the way you expect.

BTW, if this technology isn't practical for vehicles, it might still be useful in electricity plants.

14. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

It's illegal for me to wash my car or water my garden. I'm expected to have 4 minute showers only. There are other fun water rations because dams in my part of Australia are under 18% capacity.

Water is abundant? :( 

15. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Considering you probably wouldn't water your lawn with salt water, there's a hole in your thinking here.

16. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Bill and Melinda Gates needs to be funding this research

17. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

He seperated the two ideas using and, and by saying they are two of the most abundant resources on the planet.

I'm pointing out that water isn't as abundant as many believe.

18. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Yeah usable water isn't as abundant, but water overall is. Goddamn drought!

19. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    While you would likely be able to tap the oceans for the needed water, and it comes pre-salted, there are many other issues that come to hand.

The already mentioned corrosive abilities of salt water.
    The already mentioned potential power usage of the RF generator versus the energy out from the reaction.

Also some things that could likely hold back the progress are...

How quick can this reaction be started. Were it to be used in an internal combustion engine setup, it needs to be able to pick up almost immediately. This could be dissuaded with a steam boiler type of setup, but then you've got to have a reserve of hot steam somewhere in your car that could potentially go boom of it's own volition.

Another issue is something that comes up in every alternate fuel discussion, and that's distribution. Granted salt water doesn't have the same potential hazards as LP or Hydrogen, however you would need to get stations built, or converted to salt water pumps. And while I'd like to say "Hey it's water and salt, why not homebrew?" I know too many idiots that can't be bothered with things like measuring. You'd end up with so many people running too lean or too rich, and have more issues.

A third issue is kind of analogous with the first one, and that's containment. Modern cars have so many levels of safety built into them that it's almost NASCAR. However I think that adding in what is essentially a medium powered microwave, and likely a steam boiler, you're going to have a hell of a time designing a frame that remains safe in case of an accident, for both the driver/passenger and any bystanders. I know I'd be pretty peeved if someone ran into me, and then I got cancer because their salt burner got knocked out of whack and microwaved me giblets.

While none of these issues are a showstopper for a car, I think that using it to replace gasoline would be a poor move. But using it as a power generation method, espeically on the coasts would be a hell of an idea. That is as long as the outgasses aren't terribly toxic. However I figure that they would be, as a water and Salt reaction (unless my chemistry really fails me) would likely end up with HCl (Hydrochloric Acid) and NaOH.

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    eh, call me when they make mr fusion.