Minor/Repaint: another way to transform Alternators Sideswipe

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by jazz89, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yep. While MMM is correct, I don't recall ever seeing someone showing how to do it this clearly. I know I'll be glad to add this to Tutorials :) 

I agree with pk and TC :D 

2. Rodimeister0088

Rodimeister0088 Prime

i love this mold. Its the only alternators figure i own atm, simply cuz its a viper ;)  i look forward to expanding the collection....

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Nice job... I did this with mine quite a while back, and it improves that mold's claim on being Sideswipe, though I'm still not crazy about the convertible alt-mode.

There's also a mod for rotating Sustreaker's shoulder wheels forward for extra G1-ness. Doesn't affect car mode.

4. jazz89

jazz89 i'm rockin' moon base 1.

Ebay:
    color me intrigued. how do you do that mod for sunstreaker? also glad everybody enjoys this tutorial lol

5. SMOG

I don't remember the exact steps... it was done quite a long time ago. I don't recall if there's any cutting necessary, or if it's just a matter of disassembling the shoulders and then reassembling them. Unfortunately, I'm not able to check my Sunny at the moment in order to reconstruct the process.

EDIT: here's a picture...
    [​IMG]

I think I remember reading somewhere that the Dodge Viper mold was originally sculpted to be Tracks (in fact many of the BT/ALts were originally intended as different characters), but that fell through for some reason. If facing the wheels forward like this is jut a matter of assembly, I can really see how that would have worked for a Tracks version, especially since the doors could then be folded out like wings.

And I'm sure everyone knows about this mod for Prowl by now...
    [​IMG]

zmog

6. jazz89

Ebay:
    Oh man he looks sweet like that! Prowl looks awesome too. man alternators rock
    and holy crap i just figured the sunstreaker one out. it was pretty easy. thanks man:thumbs2: 

7. User_93049

User_93049 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Woah.. gonna try this now!

Edit: success!

8. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Mind posting the pic.

1- I believe that is sunstreaker is a simple mistransformation. I think those wheels are on a swivel. So you put the swivel forward.

2- That is not prowl. That is red alert with Prowls head. You want Prowl, here is prowl

[​IMG]

If you want to see more Alternators, check out my collection:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-collection-showcase/414822-alucard77-collection.html

I personally consider these MP figures for stuff we will never see MPs for. They are amazing. Wish we did get some more G1 accurate molds for some of them. However, they are great.

OP thanks for this post, will eventually try this.

9. meisterworks

meisterworks Well-Known Member

maybe someone can try a punch/counterpunch repaint.
    great tip and thanks for sharing.

10. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
  11. meisterworks

meisterworks Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  12. jmart

jmart Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Only if you could do that to deadened

13. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here is the pic of mine after some mods.

Took about 30 mins and couldn't be happier with it.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Also, I'd like to note that you can just mod the trunk to make the "backpack" collapse a little better. Basically, just cut the portion out but don't swap the arms/fists out. :) 

I thought I'd make mention here that if anyone wants to tackle shooting new photos for the Prowl legs swap, our tutorial needs updated. The mod consists of unscrewing the panels, swapping the legs around, and re-securing the leg panels. :)  Yes, it's a simple mod, but I actually had a few requests for that.

You'd be surprised at how much people want as much photo documentation for the simplest things. It can be very scary trying to modify a figure that hard-earned cash has been plunked down for, especially if it's the first time ever doing something like this.

15. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Thanks bro for this. You made my turd shine. I finally like this mold now. Here are the two brothers:

[​IMG]

16. jazz89

Ebay:
    man nice looking shoulder launcher you got there, those two are looking good man, glad you liked the tutorial :thumbs2: 

17. SMOG

I have the Conversion Metals KO version of Alert... got him just for that rendition of Prowl, though I'm not sure if I want to go and repaint my offical Prowl into Red Alert (and as I recall, the Sideswipe head doesn't fit into the transformation?). Alt Prowl is actually a better mold in terms of execution, I find, even though I like the classic styling of the Alt Subaru better.

Nice pic! I've tried that foot transformation for Sunstreaker before, but for some reason it just looks too awkward to me. I think you can just turn his legs sideways, (with the wheel-wells facing outward on the shins) and the way the leg is articulated, there's still a sort of knee-joint. Don't have a pic handdy, but it's one way to get a bit more shape to the legs.

Those Vipers are a tricky mold... they look great except for the fact that there are these little things about them that don't. I guess that sums up the whole line for the most part. In my estimation the only ones in the line that Has/Tak got totally right were Skids and Mirage.

zmog

18. coinilius

coinilius Well-Known Member

TFMaster's Punch/Counterpunch custom that Supersquad7 posted a link to shows the legs moved around so that the wheels face outwards. It's a great idea and does help differentiate the mold but man those legs just look bad no matter what is done to them IMO....

19. kjyl

kjyl I'm a shark.

Honestly this is one of the molds I had liked the least, and this has improved it massively!