Another review, this one much less positive

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by evebird, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

Where can I see these reviews?

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I never base whether or not I see a movie on a review anymore -ever.
    Most people I know don't either.

3. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

"Many of the Autobots behave like children and have an irksome, cutesy quality that did not exist in the cartoon"

Umm, what? Did this person ever watch the cartoon?

4. HyperGeek_1984

HyperGeek_1984 Herr Doktor

Well that's just the problem with any live-action movie adaptation of a comic book, cartoon, or whatever. The "critics" (i.e. self-appointed "experts" on what a good movie is) will tare it to shreds if it's not exactly like the source material, instead of judging it by its own merits.

It’s the same shit they pull with a sequel, how it’s never “as good as the first one.” You watch, when TF2 comes out, this very same reviewer will hate it and complain that the first one was better, despite trashing it now. It’s just how these idiots work.

5. Turnpike

Turnpike Brawl is my bee-otch

PLANT
    Dumb review which was written by a whinig, spoiled G1 fanboi brat.
    Basically the same shit you read here by any other ranter.

Here's the recap of the whole review:
    - MB RAPED MY CHILDHOOD
    - BB isn't a VW beatle
    - Prime has flames

Did I miss anything?

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Stomping and screaming "It's not G1!" may work here, on the message boards, but it simply isn't going to make an ounce of sense to most of the rest of the world. There are people out there - be they casual fans of the old TV show, film critics or CHUD-style fanboys - who may lambast this film because they think it did a bad job translating the original show into a cinematic event. They, for the most part, do not - and will not - give a shit if anyone has a defense behind why Bumblebee is no longer a Bug or Prime is no longer a flat-nosed semi. They won't care. They'll just see it as "not well done" or "wrong" and that's as much time and effort as they'll be interested in putting into reviewing the movie. And, for the most part, there's nothing any of us can do about that.

Does this mean that they're wrong or stupid? No. Absolutely not. It means that they have a different opinion than you. Not every guy on the street is going to stop and reconsider the unique, different and precious vision Michael Bay, Orci, etc. had in mind for this movie. Likewise, if you stopped somebody on the street and tried to explain to them that the Star Wars prequels are actually far superior to the original trilogy due to their stunning visuals and epic scope, do you think people would stick around to reconsider their opinion on the prequels? For the most part, probably not.

Still, the biggest thing that entertains me about this is that the damn movie ISN'T EVEN OUT YET. Reviews - be they positive or negative - will start rolling in around July 1st-4th, and en masse. At that point, maybe I'll start paying them more heed.

When it's released in its entirety - i.e., when it's playing in theatres, regularly, around the world, there's the possibility that people may not like this film, be they fans or reviewers or WHOEVER. Just, y'know, be aware of that.

7. Cory Bauer

I don't think he's seen it in the last 20 years, no.

I'm honestly surprised it's taken this long for a bad review to show up. This is the first review I've seen that paints the film in a light less than "good", and the general consensus has seemed to be that it's the best film of the summer so far. But yes, I do expect many a bad review, but mostly from snotty film critics who hate any film that invokes happiness, excitement. or laughter. If the film scores higher than a 35% on Rotten Tomatoes I'll be shocked, quite frankly. However, the fella that wrote the review in question comes off like a contradictory crybaby. He wants a film that does the 'toon justice, and then complains about stories and characters that are akin to the 'toon. He says the special effects "scrub up pretty well", but then dismisses their quality because apparently inorganic bipedal characters that mechanically reconfigure into cars are "no high achievement". Then he says the film isn't boring, but neither was another piece of shit film.

Honestly, this guy had his review written before he ever even sat down in the theatre.

8. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah.....um....the guy writes for a site called "Moviehole" (insert anus joke here).
    Not exacty Gene Shallot or Roger Ebert is he.

9. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I know, with utter conviction, that bad reviews for TRANSFORMERS are inevitable. The mere fact of it being a Micheal Bay movie is enough for some to sharpen their knives.

Still, I know all the things those people will highlight as being "bad" are, in fact, standard ingredients of what makes an action film what it is. As such I think the movie is ultimately "reviewer proof".

10. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah that was lame. That's, what, one negative "review" as opposed to about 8 highly positive ones?

11. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

What a tool. For a movie like this I EXPECT over-the-top mindless destruction and a parade of human cliche's. Trying to add serious human drama to a FX heavy monster movie like this results in Ang Lee's Hulk.

12. Sideswipe83

Sideswipe83 Well-Known Member

I have to agree. He makes negative points, but then fails to back up the point with specifics (whether spoiler or not). One review I read last week gave specifics why SHE thought something was not as good as another part, and backed it up, and still gave the film a 9 out of 10, and that was just as a reviewer, not a fan or anything

13. Razorwing

Razorwing The Fallen Alternity.

News Credits:
    as MB said before the reason he chose different designs is because he wants them to look more real. But hey, those ignorant G1 fanboys can kiss my ass, because this movie is going to blow their fucking mind. For once, why can't people just sitback and relax and stop fucking anaylizing everything and just enjoy the fucking movie.

14. Lateralus

Lateralus Well-Known Member

Because people somehow expect deep story and themes when it comes to giant fucking robots.

15. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

iFilm. All he talks about is basically how bad the movie is because they have no resemblance to the old Transformers. All I kept thinking was .... "wow this guy is a moron. He obviously doesn't like Transformers as a whole, because the other continuities are different too." He calls it a movie review, but it is just his ******ed comparison to G1.

Youtube. Do a search for Transformers movie review. None of them reviews, just a comparison to G1, completely ignoring the fact there are other versions that are part of the Transformers universe.

I am a HUGE fan of Transformers, not a HUGE fan of ONLY G1. I guess thats why I have a big problem with the pathetic geewunners.

16. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

Amen. I am a Transformers fanboi brat. Very different than the ones that are ONLY G1. So what if its not the movie they want. I got the movie I want, and thats a TRANSFORMERS MOVIE. Maybe a G1 movie will come later, but this is good.

17. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

It has already been released in other parts of the world, and have read numerous reviews. The only bad ones I have read have been the kicking and whining G1-ONLY (Gewunners) fanboys.

18. The Demolisher

The Demolisher Banned

The very fact that you group all people of opposing opinion to yours under such a negative connotation as "haters" is reason enough for me to not have any real respect for anything you say. When did this kind of disrespect become acceptable?

19. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

Yup. I just wish they would stop thinking of this as a G1 movie, and think of it more as a TRANSFORMERS movie. You know, cuz that is exactly what it is. And in TRANSFORMERS, we have seen different looks ALL THE FREAKING TIME. This is a franchise of dynamic change, not a static look.

20. Cory Bauer

More than that, I wish the few remaining fans who aren't thrilled with this film would stop expecting a film that looks like G1, but plays like "Lord of the Rings".