Another reason not to buy the 120 GB HDD for the 360

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Joe Moore, May 1, 2007.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Apparently, XBLA arcade games that are transfered to the new HDD will only be playable when connected to Xbox Live. If you try to play offline, you will only have access to the demo mode. I expected this with TV shows, but not being able to transfer the license for Arcade games is an absolute disgrace. MS is offering no solution to this either. They should at least offer the ability to call and get the games activated on your system, or allow you to redownload them and have the license be a part of your new configuration.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/news/story.php?sid=6169917&part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6169917

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

This thread needs more $!

3. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    That’$ lame. I normally play while connected but I don’t like the idea of not being able to if I’m not.

In the U.K. do you guys put the symbol for the pound in place of the letter L, maybe an E?

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Fuck that. If I buy a game, I should be able to play it wherever the hell I want. However since they didn't bother doing a TV show/movie download facility for the UK, I wouldn't waste my money on a bigger HD anyway; the one I have isn't full (even allowing for the frankly ludicrous amount of HD space reserved for "system use". Way to go, making a 20Gb HD actually a 14Gb one).

Awesome ball droppage, M$.

5. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I don't really get why this is such a big deal. Its odd how it works but if your not connected to Live then whats the point in having the console. I understand how it kind of breaks the games but I just don't get it. Also I'm sure tehre'll be some patch that fixes it in the near future.

6. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

Doesn't affect me personally, so I'm still looking into the Elite. That said, I'd rather wait and see what CPU and drive refinements they have in store before taking the plunge. ;) 

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

So you're saying that XBox LIVE is the be all and end all of that console? There are at least 4 million people who disagree with you there, chum. If the sales figures are at all accurate.

8. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Because of the location of my modem, I have to run my wire across the room. I don't have a telephone jack in my living room, so my DSL is in my dining room. I plug into Live at night, when the misses is sleeping so she doesn't trip over the wire. However, I do play my Live Arcade games all the time. It's just not feasible for me to connect to Live every time I decide to play a game.

To issue a patch would be breaking the games' DRM, something I'm sure MS isn't so keen on.

9. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I haven't played one game over the LIVE network yet, save 1 round of PSU, and I would be livid if I couldn't play the games I have downloaded thusly whenever I can like I do now.

10. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    THis doesn't surprise me.
    My first 360 got the red ring of death and now every XBLA game that I downloaded on that system needs to be connected to Live in order to play it.

The only game I downloaded on this system, Castlevania, can be played on or offline. I understand that the Shivering Isles for Oblivion must be connected to Live at all times to play. I think that is pretty crappy of MS.

Honestly, why can't I loan someone my hard drive and let them play an XBLA game offline? Its no different than loaning them a game that came on DVD.

11. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

plus, now you cant haul your system where you want if you want to play it...

we have tournaments at work where a X-Box/PS2/etc is used, and there's plans to do a retro tourney...but if you only can play it connected, that wont work cause most likely they wont let us connect it online.

12. angeltread

angeltread TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    wow, that's just unacceptable. no new drive for me for obvious reasons. no more downloads for me on principle. it doesn't take much to piss me off, MS, and you're starting to do it with alarming frequency.

13. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Apparently they intend to eliminate the "must be connected to Live" stuff in the Spring Update, but that's all rumour as far as I know.

14. seven

I'm saying that the console is crippled if its not connected to Live and how would they have downloaded Live arcade games to begin with if they weren't connected? They can easily fix it by only slightly breaking the drm by linking the purchases to your gametag, if your gt is recovered on a different console then it invalidates the original gt on the first console.

Diagram:
    Console A Gamertag A
    Console B
    Console B - recovers Gamertag A
    Console A - Gamertag A is now invalid
    Console A - recovers Gamertag A
    Console B - Gamertag A is now invalid

Granted if you disconnect the Console B then recover on Console A those games will be available on Console B while using Gamertag A until it is reconnected to Live but I honestly don't see them loosing many sales to people doing this.

15. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    I've never bothered to remove the hard drive from the 360, but is it possible to just use the 20 gig hard drive for arcade games, and the bigger hard drive for everything else?

It looks like the hard drives just pop on and off like giant memory cards

16. seven

Also from how I read it this only affects people transferring their saves from a different console to the elite and not people upgrading to the new hard drive since the games are tagged to a specific console.

17. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought this was only for moving from the regular 360 to the Elite and that if buying just a 120GB your content would be transferred over and since all that content is tied to your Live ID and Console ID (in fact it is, just checked and it is) then you would still have the same Live ID and Console ID and wouldn't cause a problem.

18. angeltread

angeltread TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    that's not the impression i got the first time i read it, but that being the case, it isn't so bad for those who simply want the larger drive. that being said, it's still an issue for anyone who wants or needs a new system at some point in the future, and anyone can fall into that category. it needs to be addressed.

it's convenience that's the issue. it's not that people can't "live with" taking their 20 gig drives everywhere they go and/or rebooting and swapping drives (necessary?) when they want to play a game on it; it's that we shouldn't have to. regardless of drm, it's a lack of foresight and needs to be addressed.

19. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    i just dont see it as an inconvienence.. it would be no more effort then pulling out the CD for gears of war, so I could play need for speed most wanted.

20. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    With the wireless adapter, I'm always connected to live. No problems here.