Another phone scam guys..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by plowking, Feb 23, 2008.

1. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Just a heads up to you all here....

Yesterday I got a phone call from some telemarketer recording telling me that I can lock in a low interest rate on my credit card...."please press one to speak to a rep"

So I did, and as soon as the guy comes on, he asks for the name of my credit card, and the number....yeah right.

I ask "who is this from"

He misunderstood me as saying "who is this for"

He then replies with the wrong name....( I have my home phone service in a name different than my own )

I told him if you think I am stupid enough to fall for this scam, you're the bigger idiot between the two of us...he immediately hangs up

Then, today, I get another phone call from a telemarketer recording telling me that my extended warrantee on my vehicle is about to expire, and to "press one to speak with a rep"...

I am in a lease...but I did it anyways.....

Guy comes on the phone, and asks for the make and model of the vehicle...

I asked, "who is this for"...

He replies with the wrong name.

I told him that I know this is a scam, and to stop calling here, that I am on the do not call list, and that if they continue, I will report them...

He was like, "this is not a scam"....yeah whatever....lets see, you want my name, addy info...probably my ss# to boot....what other reason would someone that I don't know need this info for?!

So folks, be careful....looks like this may be the new way...at least here in Mi....

2. edicius

edicius I need a drink.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know my wife's been getting some calls from unknown numbers in Arizona, so I Googled them and it was a similar scam. My suggestion (if you have caller ID) is to Google the numbers and see if you can figure out where, specifically, they're coming from.

3. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This has been going on for a while now, people using VOIP to try and convince you to give up info over the phone, because it must be real since it isn't email!

In the event it is somehow your bank calling you, they will have no problem letting you call them back to take care of business, and will understand if you don't want to say anything just because they called you.

4. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Holy crap this is hilarious

http://consumerist.com/360921/man-records-phishing-call

The guy trying to scam the info stays on for 10 minutes, threatens to call the FBI on the guy for not giving his bank account number over the phone, threatens to sue him for not giving his account number.

5. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    My mom just got the exact same vehicle warranty scam tried on her, odd thing is they called her cell phone which shouldn't be accessible as far as I know...

6. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    See, this is why I deliberately give people the wrong phone number when they ask for mine.

7. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is why I answer no calls if I don't know who they're from. I also don't return calls from individuals who leave a message with 'important personal business.' I open some mysterious snail mail, but that's about it.

-Tony!