Another Movie Voice Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Brodimus Prime, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Brodimus Prime

Brodimus Prime Matrix Templar

News Credits:
    I know a thread was started about the TF voices a while back, but this one is a bit different.

Jazz, Ratchet, and Starscream are characters in this movie whose beloved voice actors (Scatman Crothers, Don Messick, and Chris Latta) have passed on. With Cullen getting the role of Prime (and possibly Ironhide), and the rumor of Frank Welker getting the role of Megatron, this got me thinking...

Which TF voice actors would fit the roles of Jazz, Ratchet, and Starscream? No, not whether or not they should sound like G1 or whether or not celebs should voice them, but this is assuming the movie folks wanna keep the VAs in the TF family. My choices:

-Jazz (Blu Mankuma; Somehow I think Tigatron's voice could work)
    -Ratchet (Scott McNeil; Just because he could probably do anyone's voice ;)  )
    -Starscream (Michael Dobson; I have to admit, I like his Starscream)

Any other ideas for current/former TF voices to take on these roles?

2. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

I think, that it's a break from the past (new forms, new plots) needs a new voice cast.

Prime: James Earl Jones. Deep, powerful, authorititive. Yet also capable of great compassion.
    Megs: Jeremy Irons. Evil as hell.
    Bumblebee: Well we know how this is going to be played.
    Ratchet: Alan Alda.
    Ironhide: The bloke who plays Trip Tucker on ST: Enterprise.
    Starscream: James Marsters.
    Blackout (the police car): George Eads.

3. Brodimus Prime

News Credits:
    I get what you're saying, Harlequin, and I pretty much agree that that's the direction it's taking.

But there've been threads about who we think should voice these guys. I'm just being hypothetical and seeing who in the TF universe should voice them. I know that they won't keep the voices in the TF family, but just for fun, which TF voices should lend their talents to these characters since their VAs are gone.

4. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    That’s a cool idea.

5. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

Well, I've seen next to nothing of the original cartoon, but what I have seen has had me really loving the original VAs.

But, as you said, a good number of them are now dead.

So:

STARSCREAM: The current Cobra Commander VA from GI JOE:SIGMA SIX. He doesn't have nearly the personality of Chris Latta, but then again the current design for Starscream doesn't have the same personality as the original. It's fitting, really.

Or hell, Mark Hamill would work as well. He could put an iteresting twist on it.

JAZZ: Either Beau Billingsea or Phil LaMarr. Anyone but Chris Rock, really.

RATCHET: Eh, I dunno. It'd be interesting to see the Doctor off ST: Voyager (Robert Picardo?) portray him, though. Or whoever plays House on that show on Fox. EDIT: Alan Alda = genius idea. I'd love it.

IRONHIDE: I'd like Cullen to come back, of course. If that doesn't come to pass, though, I could see John Goodman pulling off a good preformance: he could give the character a very good cowboy vibe.

BUMBLEBEE: It said in the leaked script that he had ONE spoken line. For the hell of it, let's bring back the original as a cameo.

And finally,

MEGATRON: Welker, of course. No one could do it better.

However, if he's not available, I'd suggest David Kaye with some computer enhancement. Give his voice a real gravelly texture, have him deepen his voice a bit, it could work with the pre-existing design.

I may do more later. I'm not too sure about the other Decepticons at the moment, though.

6. Brodimus Prime

News Credits:
    If we can, let's try limiting our choices to TF-related VAs. Threads about non-TF folks doing the voices are all over the place. So basically, what TF voices would work for the new movie? To add to my list, I'd like Neil Kaplan (RiD Prime) to be Ironhide. It would be fitting I think.

BTW, Evan Goldsborough, that Cobra Commander voice? That IS Michael Dobson. It's one of the cool things about the current TF/GI Joe connection. Just like the old CC was Chris Latta (Starscream), the new one is Michael Dobson (the new Starscream in the Micron Trilogy).

7. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    Sean Connery can be Unicron, lol.

I should be cast as Bumblebee.

Richard Simmons can be Starscream.

Megatron should be Denzel Washington.

Ironhide Colin Murdock.

I hope you enjoyed my worthless post.

8. Brodimus Prime

News Credits:
    *sigh* Anyone else have something to contribute?

9. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

:peoples: 

Was he really?

Wow, I'm out of it....

I knew about Chris Latta being the old CC, but I didn't know about the current SS/CC connection.

Here's an idea: Just for the hell of it, let's have Scott McNeil use his Rattrap voice for Frenzy. Frenzy doesn't do much in the movie anyway.

BARRICADE: Scott McNeil would work, if he uses something akin to his Dinobot voice. Barricade doesn't have any well-known past incarnation to live up to, so let's bring in Scott to please the fans.

10. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

^^^Well, judging from the limited lines that the Transformers have in the script, I think Mcneil's Dinobot voice would work for Barricade.

I'll try to be constructive here, and I'll limit this to just characters whose voice actors are dead:

Starscream: Mark Hamill or Christopher Walken

Yeah, neither Mark nor Chris sound a lot like Chris Latta, but I think Latta had SUCH a unique voice that any attempt to mimic it is just going to be universally hated and a universal disappointment. Hamill's Joker voice captures Starscream's personality quite well. Walken, well, he's always good in whatever he's in. Before you jump on me, just picture Walken's voice. It's different, but I think it works.

But, uh, well, I've read the script, and in all honesty, I don't think it matters who gets the role of Starscream...

Ratchet: Hell, Alan Alda is a great suggestion.

Ironhide: Clint Eastwood. Shrug. Why not?

Jazz: This one's a toughie. Much like with Latta, I don't think anybody has a voice quite like the original voice actor. Any attempt to mimic him is just going to be a pale imitation. How about Jamie Foxx? (Then again, I've read the script, and the draft I read suggests it won't really matter who plays Jazz.)

11. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

^^^I'd like to add in one last thing to say. Remember Star Wars Episode 3? General Grievous? 100% CGI character, message boards were EXPLODING with potential voice actors to get the role. Just about every celebrity who has a commanding voice has been "rumored" for the role.

In the movie, Grievous barely speaks, and the guy who voices him is the friggin' sound editor of the movie. I highly doubt this movie will be any different.

12. matadormi5

matadormi5 Well-Known Member

Barricade-Jim Brynes (Inferno from Beast Wars)

Ratchet-Hugh Laurie (House M.D.)

As for the rest of the character voices I have no idea.

13. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

As long as Laurie uses his real accent and not his "House" voice.

MEgatron: Christopher Lee.
    Prime: James Earl Jones.
    The Tank: Brian Blessed or John Rhys Davies.
    Ironhide: Gorge Eads.
    The Helicopter: Scott McNiel with a variation of his Waspinator voice.

14. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Here how it would work for me:

Unicron: Sid Haig
    Megatron: William Forsythe
    Starscream: Billy Drago
    Shockwave: Cristopher Lee
    Prime: Laurence Fishburn
    Jazz: Carlos Mencia
    Bumblebee: Haley Joel Osmet

15. WWMEGATRON

WWMEGATRON Well-Known Member

I dunno!! Do You?!

PS : I didn't knew Don Messick died. He was one of the leading voices in the golden age Hanna Barbera studios. There was no cartoon they made without his voice acting.