Another Masterpiece Starscream Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Getter Eagle, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Getter Eagle

Getter Eagle Banned

Well, I just got mine in the mail, and let me tell you that its a pile of crap. Yes, plain and simple its a pile of shoddy crap. There's paint scrapes right out of the package. If they're not enough to get your spirits down, DON'T WORRY... you'll scrape plenty more paint off as you try to transform him into robot mode. Mine came with a particularly annoying piece that was misassembled, throwing off a big chunk of the jet mode. (The right shoulder/missile pod doesn't fit entirely where its supposed to be, so the side of the jet isn't aligned properly) Let's not forget the almost ZERO die-cast metal, and the globby paint apps (Some of his missiles AREN'T even painted inside the pod)

Honestly, I could live with the design, and the color, if it were just for some better quality control.

Hopefully I'll get some pics up later.

So yeah, maybe if this toy was 30 bucks cheaper I wouldn't feel so ripped off. As it stands, this seems to be a sign of the fnancial woes of Takara-Tomy.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Eh. Mine was fine. It seems they all have that gap in the front of the jet mode on the sides (if that's what you're talking about), but it doesn't bug me any.

I'm happy with mine, I'm glad I got him.

3. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

Nothing wrong with the one I saw.

4. Getter Eagle

Getter Eagle Banned

I'll take some pictures later (after I steal the gf's digital camera) to show everyone what I'm talking about.

You know, I really feel defeated. I was one of the strongest supporters of this figure, even when everyone else started bashing it for the designs and color changes. Normally I would assume it was just mine, but I got a chance to take a look at a few more that a local friend got in to sell, and they all had similar problems.

5. Subotnik

Subotnik Please Stand By.

Nah, it's just a sign of two companies who've never been that great at producing the kind of fit and finish that Bandai or some of the others do.

6. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    A buddy of mine just got MP SS, and after holding it, transforming it, looking it over from head to toe & front to back, I have to say that I am extremely happy that I cancelled my order for it. If I paid over $100.00 USD for this thing, which weighs as much, if not less, than an Alternator and is so shockingly small in size, I would have been livid... as my buddy currently is. I don't think he's ever felt so ripped off before.

I gotta agree with those who think Classics Starscream is even better than this sorry excuse of a supposed "masterpiece".

7. AutobotEngineer

AutobotEngineer Highly Dubious

I love mine. Easily worthy the $107 shipped. I'm sorry more people can't enjoy him.

8. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    I spent $95 for it, and the fun value way exceeds that, I've transformed it more times than MP-Convoy to date, and I got MP-Convoy at release date.

9. polymorphic

polymorphic Bumblebee tuna!

I dig what you're saying, Getter Eagle. Here are my gripes...

1) I can't get his head to go back through the opening in the feuselage, rendering jet mode impossible.
    2) The left arm no longer clicks and is loose after a single transformation, although it does stay where I pose it.
    3) Paint mishaps in a few places, which is not as bad as all the physical defects.
    4) Plastic after a single transformation is showing white stress marks on some joints. Some joints are loose and close to breaking. (I am EXTREMELY delicate with my TFs, btw)
    5) Opening the nose cone STRAIGHT OUT OF THE PACKAGE revealed a broken and loose radar array which I had to super glue back on. This was my first task out of the box. Not enjoyable.
    6) Upper torso feuselage area doesn't fully depress into codpiece area due to manufacturing defect/incorrect sizing.
    7) Right breast missle cover completely loose even before opening for the first time. If I rotate the toy, the cover flaps open. It will not close all the way and does not click into place.
    8) Once you transform him once, you will never get the nose cone to stay fully closed and the forward part of the canopy has a large gap in jet mode. You cannot click or force it into place. It is a defect which I've noticed in every picture gallery of this toy.

Other than being afraid to touch him now, it is a really nice and incredibly detailed toy, albeit incredibly small. Jet mode is insanely solid, sturdy and awe-inspiring.

To me personally, it was not worth $100. I would value this piece at about $35 - $40.

10. Golgo-013

Golgo-013 The Professional

I love this figure, and I've made a bunch more modifications. I'll take some pics tonight maybe. But at the same time I don't think it is worth $100 compared to MP-01. It is way more detailed and a bit more complex, but obviously has many problems. Its somewhere inbetween an Alternator and MP. As far as quality and construction, I wouldn't even compare it to my Binaltechs, mainly because they are diecast and have beautiful paint jobs. MP-03 feels like about $70 to me.

11. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

The more and more I hear, the more and more I become afraid of this figure. I spent $92 on it and loved the look of it. I love Starscream and want him to lead my Decepticon army into battle. However I was slightly annoyed with the QC of BTA Alert and was afraid the same might happen here. However my MP-01 was perfectly fine as was THC-02 convoy. So I guess it's juse a roll of the dice.

12. polymorphic

polymorphic Bumblebee tuna!

MP-01 is my favorite TF of all time. In my opinion, it is the single greatest, most faithful G1 toy ever made. It is flawless in design, durability and mechanics. It has lot's of diecast and the joints and plastic are supreme. You can throw MP-01 into a brick wall and he will still stand, probably only missing the piece that covers his head... you know the one I mean..

MP-03, on the other hand, is a step backward in actual construction and material, but a step forward in visual appeal and artistry. Let MP-03 tip over by its own weight onto your table and watch the pieces go flying!

13. AutobotEngineer

I just today noticed the only QC issue I've had with MPSS. His left wing has it's decpticon decal on the underside, rather than the top. Strange, but I can live with it.

As far as Starscreams head not fitting in to his jet mode...it fits. You got it out, it goes back in. The head has quite range of movement, including forward and back positioning. Line it up straight, chin down, and all the way back, and it fits. You got it out, you can put it back in. Don't blame it on the toy.

14. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Mine has that too; I imagine it's part of the design. The only real problem I have is with the design flaw in the shoulders; but that's easily fixable in about 5 minutes.
    Yup. Put the head so the back of it is flush with the bottom of the jet nose, and it should go straight through. The gap is easily big enough.

15. AutobotEngineer

Really?

...Son of a bitch.

They're all like that!

My MPSS has no QC issues:D 

16. Type-R

Type-R blissed off my chonk!

News Credits:
    It's the same on the real F-15E, so it's definitely not a mistake. One wing has it on top, the other on the underside.

Check out these pics of the real jet to see the emblem on the underside of the wing. Obviously since it's a real USAF jet, the 'Con logo is a star instead.

http://www.boeing.com/news/feature/paris2005/assets/ids_wallpaper/F-15E%20Eagle_3.bmp

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/images/f-15e-002.jpg

17. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    QC issues notwithstanding (as ive always had issues with takara's QC), i dont get you guys who plonk down a hundred bucks on toys and bitch abt it.

good or lousy toy, theres still the fact that youre blowing a hundred bucks on....toys - little plastic (in some case, die cast) things that serve no other function than to entertain/spend idle time.

now, if a lot of money went to something functional (things like PC's, a car, etc.) and you feel you got ripped off, i think thats fine. but it always occured to me as strange for ppl to complain on spending money on toys, knowing that ppl in general already think that the hobby is in itself, wasteful.

just my 2 cents, and i hope you get over it/manage to sell it off.

18. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Sit down son and let me explain it to you.

If I am spending $100 on a TOY, I expect a certain amount of quality to it. Considering most toys are $10-20, if something is 5 times as much, I expect 5 times as much enjoyment. It's like anything. If I spend $5,000 on a car, I expect so much. It won't be new, it might have some rust, it might have a few problems. However if I spend 5 times as much, or $25,000, I expect a lot more.

19. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    "son"? :|

i get the comparative argument based on the exponential increase in price in relation to expectations.

but.

you gotta admit, spending for car and...toy are not in the same boat. hence my emphasis on utility expenditure (cars are functional necessaties) as opposed to entertainment (toys are at the bottom of the entertainment list compared to having TV, going to the movies and such).

plus, i'm not pulling this out of my ass here. ive got responsibilities too, like being married, having bills, and running a business.

100 bucks spent on toys is still just that - spending a lot of money for a non-nencessity - regardless whether its a bad or good toy. just bring this up to any laymen and theyll go "whyd you spend a hundred bucks on toys in the 1st place?"

no offence, but i'm just trying to put things into context here.

20. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    still doesn't make sense to me man. It doesnt' matter what you buy, or how much it costs. you expect to get what you pay for, and so when you feel like you didn't, you're not going to be happy.