Minor/Repaint: Another Leader Prime custom

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Chaos Muffin, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I know this is like the 45,000th Leader Prime, but Im just now getting to mine. :lol 

Gunship grey enamel mixed with gunmetal black enamel for the basecoat.
    The rest is a mix of acrylics & enamels (Testors blues, Tamaya reds, model master chome/silver, gold acrylic & enamels)
    Also painted a few robot sections metallic blue, to have truck mode shell parts break up the robot sections a bit.

Finished off with some wash (mars black) and coated with testors clear coat.

He's now up.....on my shelf :D 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  2. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Great touch up there, CM. I like it alot, and.....

THIS PICTURE!
    TOTALLY EPIC posing man! I can literally hear - "You'll Never Stop at One, I'll take you all on!"

3. evrdazed

evrdazed Well-Known Member

i can never get tired of looking at all the repaints of this mold. I like the kinda gritty-greasy thing you've got going when it's used over the robot area. It just seems to make sense because that's were all the grease would be. Where I am not sure of its us is when it's on the vehicle parts itself. maybe treating those two things differently would make it even better, but that's just my thought. great work!

4. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    Very original take on improving Prime, here. The attention to detail is really nice. I especially like the eyes, how they're white but seem to be blended in light blue on the edges. :) 

My only crit is that the black wash you used seems a little too harsh - especially on the red and blue panels of the figure. It results in too much contrast between the 'dirty' parts of the figure and the 'clean' (no black wash) parts. This makes the weathering effect look non-natural, like soot was deliberately made to sink into specific recesses of the truck and robot, leaving some areas squeaky clean (like the truck roof and hood). I hope that made sense.

That's just my personal opinion, though, so take it with a grain of salt. This is still one great-looking piece. :thumb 

5. Blackmouf2002

Blackmouf2002 Insomniac

Nice work. Dirty Prime!! The was is a little thick but if that's the look you are going for, then it's definitely achieved.

6. john bee prime

john bee prime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    to those who do repaints of the leader class TFs-- you guys are brave...and this one looks great!!

if ever I do mine-- I think it will not be as good as this one or any OP leader out there...

...but I think I will only do my ROTF leader Prime if and when a 'premium" version comes out for sure in teh US-- although I am not liking the open face of the Buster Prime..or maybe I might warm up to it :) 

7. Jaspimus Prime

Jaspimus Prime Well-Known Member

nice attention to detail, i really like the use of light blue on the pipes either side of his crotch lol looks good...my only criticism is i think the dirty look is a bit OTT IMHO but i can still appreciate the work and effort gone into it :->

8. Jaspimus Prime

Jaspimus Prime Well-Known Member

just noticed the detailing in the backpack ie the coloured wires....very nice

9. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Lots of detail! Awesome.

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    There is one glaring problem with this custom: it's not on my shelf :( 

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Thanks

mampy & JP, I see what you mean. It's what I get for posting pics before proof viewing them. Im seeing flaws everywhere now :lol  (i get excited and patience runs out)
    I need to clean up the truck parts , you can also see where some blacks accidentally got on them from overbrushing other parts.
    Im also not feeling the chrome on the tanks, may redo them as well

john bee Prime, give it a shot, you may suprise yourself. This is only my 2nd leader I painted (had to work up the balls) and It's alot of fun actually. I know you can pull it off. The only hard part is getting the chest gears behind his windshields.
    I enjoy the micro detailing on these leader figs more than a deluxe fig anyday.
    Im already primering up leader Megatron

S7- I would've figured you've painted a few already :lol .

12. john bee prime

john bee prime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
  13. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

looks awesome dude, dont worry i have 45,001 and 45,002 ROTF prime coming soon lol