Heavy/Scratch: Another CW Defensor project--with Legends Groove as a leg!?

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by echotransformer, Mar 25, 2016.

1. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

This is really impressive work. I've dabbled in 3D design and have a few items on Shapeways myself. Can I ask how you designed the ratchet joints? Are springs integrated at all?

2. echotransformer

echotransformer Well-Known Member

Yes it does!

Thanks..

IIRC, I tried that way back when I did the project (I often try a few approaches to get the price down) and it didn't help...again, there is a LOT of stuff that actually gets printed here...it's almost like printing a deluxe figure!

Very kind words, many thanks

Not sure if you can see it in the exploded view, but the ratchet is a separate piece (dark grey, upper right)...it 'nests' in a little box and the trailer arms pin the toothed wheel against it...it actually works quite well!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

This isn't for sale? Screenshot_2017-08-15-21-38-51-1-1.png

Lol, holy shit dude. Bravo. Dayum

• Like Like x 1
  4. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Yeah this is gorgeous work

5. echotransformer

Well not mass-produced, but it is for sale on Shapeways for those that don't mind painting and the higher price of direct manufacturing via 3D printing.

Thanks also for the compliment about the design!

Many thanks....

• Like Like x 2
  6. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

Yeah man this is sick! Thank you for the heads up on shapeways. I don't mind getting my hands dirty with some paint :D  do you have more 3d print stuff for sale? How do i find your stuff on shapeways? Sorry I'm new to all this
    :noob 

7. vvvTheONEvvv

vvvTheONEvvv \/ He Thinks He's Smart.

News Credits:
    Echo.. What would it take (price wise) to paint up a set for me?

8. echotransformer

Thanks! Glad you are interested. There is a link to this kit on the first page of this thread, and a link to my store in my signature. :) 

Shapeways is a 3D printing service that allows "average joes" like me to host a store! I do the design and testing and they handle the printing, shipping etc. Note that because it is printing, the prices go up based on the size of the object and how much material is used....so unfortunately I have little control over that...but I do my best to make the parts use as little material as possible.

I wish I could offer a painting service, but unfortunately I'm not able to due to my workload. On top of a more than full time job, I've got quite a few projects I need to finish, including TFC's not Liokaiser upgrade bits. That said I do have some videos on how to paint this stuff I'll try to dig it for you and Chillyn. :) 

Edit: found the link. It's an older video but the basic process is the same for just about any "WSF" Shapeways part.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

Thank you sir! You're a gentleman and a scholar :D  bookmarked for when I get the funds

10. Chath

Chath Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Man this is such a cool idea! And I love how the trailer isn't really specific to any character. Yeah it might be combiner kibble, but it's the most integrated combiner kibble I've ever seen! I'd love to see you make more combiner accessories. Perhaps a way of integrating Slash into Volcanicus as a limb, and then hitching swoop on the back/torso? So many new possibilities with Power of the Primes!

• Like Like x 1
  11. ICEPnguin

ICEPnguin Constructicon

Ebay:
    Will the price come down at all? This is a great idea, but $60+ ouch...

12. ldl0021

ldl0021 Active Member

Ebay:

13. echotransformer

You're welcome!

Yes, I try to do a couple projects each year...I've got a few things in the works and yes maybe some stuff with POTP we will see...

Unfortunately the price is driven by 3D printing costs not by me...and really, there isn't any more material to 'take out' to reduce cost, it's quite a 'lean' design...3D printing happens to be pretty expensive compared to molding parts...

That said once in a while Shapeways has sales so it's worth keeping an eye on their offers if you are interested.

14. scrapmetaru

scrapmetaru Well-Known Member

Y'know, I wanna be more constructive this time. While I still strongly disagree with limb-Groove, this kit could still be good if it had a pull-out elbow. Like, just a slab with a hinge on either side and a swivel on top. It would be kind of like my own idea for a CW leg/arm/cannon for any potential CW Road Caesers, but with a Groove-hole.

• Like Like x 1