Another Camera thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Spoiler, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Hey gang, I couldn't find the old camera thread that I recall from months ago, so I started a new one.

Now I intend to get a new digital camera. Here is the issue, I am not a complete camera genious so I need some assistance. I currently am using a camera that is a 5.0 megapixel and for the life of me can't remember anything else about it, and being at work, I can't exactly just look at it. This camera isn't exactly awesome...I get a lot of blurry shots, and the zooming pics never come out clear at all..(if you see my comics). Plus if you move it at all during a picture, it blurs like crazy. Now, my only assumption is that the Megapixels are the biggest key of this search. So my question is, what exactly would I need to look for, BRANDS ASSIDE! I can recall a big brand argument in the last thread. So, if anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be great.

2. UltraDevmodious

UltraDevmodious Well-Known Member

Well I personally have a canon digital rebel xti. 10.1 megapixel camera. I had a canon powershot a70 which was only 3.2 and point and shoots are not as good as SLRs. Again, I say that because I don’t like not having 100% control over everything in a camera. Plus added features like a video recorder doesn’t really matter to me.

More megapixels only means larger and better picture quality. I can make a poster that is crystal clear with my digital rebel. I made an 18 x 24 canvas that looked amazing!

I won’t get into a debate about what the best camera is…all I can offer is my 2 cents regarding a camera I know something about. If you don’t care about interchangeable lenses and such, a SLR might be too much for you. I am just not a huge advocate of point and shoots.

3. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    If you aren't well versed in cameras, I would avoid SLR's. They are awesome cameras (especially Canon's), but really meant for pros. However, I would still recommend a Canon camera as well as Nikon digital cameras. It's actually much harder to find a shitty point and shoot than it is to find a good one. If you are willing to spend between $25 and $400 you should have no trouble finding a decent camera. Spending less than $200 might lead you to another camera you aren't happy with.

Before purchase, I would recommend checking reviews for the camera. I love http://www.dpreview.com/.

4. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    If SLRs are the ones you change lenses with and whatnot, no I don't need to get into those. I am not a photographer, I just want something I can use on my comics and for when I feel like taking pics, to have them look good and not needing to take multiple shots to get it right.

5. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

Your getting blurry shots because of light. You don't have enough, that's it. I'm guessing you shoot with auto, which is horrible on any camera.

Nikon and Canon are both excellent, as well as Olympus. Really, it's all about lighting, and you should get a tripod. I'm sure your just not using your camera right. Can you change the shutter speed and aperture? A 5 megapixel camera is just fine. Don't use digital zoom, it sucks, and it will always suck.

6. Lasbrook

Lasbrook Well-Known Member

I'm honestly not that well versed in such things either but i have done a little research since i've been looking into getting one for myself. Aside from the # of megapixels you want to look for a larger optical zoom rather than digital, a good focus range/macro mode for close up shots, and battery matters too. Seems a lithium ion battery is more expensive but if you go battery the bounceback time from taking flash shots and what not is longer.

What i've been looking at is this:http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona720is/
    It has a good range of features, including manual shooting settings if you're ok with it not being ultra sleek and sexy.

7. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  8. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

if you want to avoid an slr try the canon s5is. i have the s3 and it's great.

9. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
  10. UltraDevmodious

Those Polaroid’s are sort of nice. My friends’ wife has the i735 and her pictures are quite crisp. While it has the standard ISO settings (Auto/50/100/200/400/800/1600), it does not allow manual control over shutter speed/apature settings mainly because point and shoots don’t even have a shutter at all.

In my experience, that’s why I moved to digital SLRs. I did pay $700 for the Digital Rebel xti but it was so worth it. I am also a photo minor though. So I guess even semi professional is worth it. I think it really depends if you truly don’t care, keep spending money on point and shoots. I don’t have ANY blurs to speak of with my XTI in any mode. To avoid blurs previously with my Canon a70, I just put it on a tripod. That’s always an option…just invest in a tripod if you don’t wish to shell out more money for a different camera.

11. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Well, the other thing is, I don't aim to spend an awesomely high amount of money either. I think really I would only wish to get in the max range of $200-250. I already spend enough on my other hobbies :lolol 

12. UltraDevmodious

Invest in a tripod. They have standard and tabletop tripods (which would probably be better for your comics). Get closer to your subject matter and try to ease up on the zoom. No blur less grainy. Win win.

Also if you are getting too much light up close (with the powerful flashes those things have) just put tissue paper or Kleenex (x2) over the flash and it will dampen the power of the flash.

13. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Actually, I never use zoom. It always makes it worse. I will find a nice cheap tripod and see if that helps. Even if you look at some of those other pics in my comics of when I was in florida. They don't look right either and they weren't even close shots!

14. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

15. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
  16. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a model up from that and have no complaints.
    I've so far had 3 Canon camera's and don't ever feel the urge to move away from that brand as they make excellent camera's.

It's a fairly easy to use camera and will give nice crisp clear pictures (provided you have proper lighting ans such)

Seriously, you can't go wrong with a Canon camera IMO

17. UltraDevmodious

I can't argue with that fact.

I loved my a70. I just needed more out of a camera.

You’d think all major camera manufactures would be equal which is painstakingly never the case.

My Canon EOS Elan 2 E was great then I wanted to get into digital…I bought a sony which was crap, then took it back for an HP which was also crap, tried my luck with a Kodak and that was ok just didn’t have a video feature or a black and white feature which is my thing. Ultimately went back to Canon.

18. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Well, I bought a tripod today to see if that helped...didn't do much better. When I was at walmart I was checking out that Canon camera, and the Canon for $250 to check them out. Both looked awesome. Hmm, decisions decisions...