Minor/Repaint: Another Broadside Plane Mod

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Wackimus Prime, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Wackimus Prime

Wackimus Prime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So not real impressed by Broadside. The stickers, while looking nice, aren't applied well and are fraying right out of the box. The carrier mode is nice but the feet don't clip together. There's a slot where it seems like they should but no peg. Maybe I got a bad one or they're all like this. Robot mode is good but articulation is lacking, particularly the feet, waist and wrist. The worst part is the "plane" mode. It's like they didn't even try. A couple of pegs here and there, make the legs so they slide or fold up and you'd have yourself a passable aircraft mode. The official mode looks like something we thought looked cool when we were kids. First I couldn't stand the backwards tail wings. I reversed all of them. Then I situated the arms and legs straight back and moved all of the panels back and together to reduce as much dead space as I could. I still don't like the open crotch space but I think this is much better. It reminds me of this now
    42EC5A03-3EB5-4396-89E8-FF47FA773EAC-2794-000003109B825624.jpeg

not a plane though. Let me know what you think.

IMG_4239.JPG IMG_4237.JPG IMG_4240.JPG IMG_4241.JPG IMG_4242.JPG IMG_4243.JPG
    image.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  2. King Glurch

King Glurch Voyager Sized

YouTube:
    You should get a Construct Bots axe and use it to fill in the area between the legs. (That sounds wrong) I've seen another thread somewhere that tells you how to do it. Love what you've done though!

3. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru Jet-Striker

While it does look infinitely better, unfortunately it's to the detriment of the other two modes. Ah the conundrums of triple changers...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Deductor

Deductor Hubris Repellent

I like this fan mode people keep posting. Works better than the official.
    I've never considered triple changer transformations as a conundrum. More of an effin bonus and easy solution to the mundane bot to alt conformity i.e. Vanilla flavah haha

5. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Well, I threw up all over my keyboard when I first saw pictures of TR Broadside's jet mode, so after buying a new keyboard I deleted the memory file from my internal data banks and thus I don't really remember what it looked like. What you have here though, isn't barf-worthy, so I'm assuming you improved it a good bit.

• Like Like x 3
  6. DarkProwler

DarkProwler Well-Known Member

Pretty much how I have mine, but I keep the small red rear wings in their original position. That way they all fold up nice and flat on his legs in robot mode.

Has anyone figured out what those grey clips on his forearms are for? They look like they should clip onto something, but I have no idea what

7. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron Unicron Herald BladeZero

News Credits:
    is like this was the original intent i mean, it looks PERFECT, it looks like a JET

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bandobras

Bandobras Distracticon

The clips attach to the legs to keep the stock airplane mode pegged together.

9. Wackimus Prime

Wackimus Prime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    No idea what those clips are for. Wondered that too. I moved the left stabilizers to the right and vice versa. That way they still lay flat in robot mode.

The rear wings stuck out in carrier mode regardless of orientation so I don't think there's much detriment here. Especially considering how bad the jet mode was. Similar to robot mode, very little change there too, but yeah the other two probably looked a little better before, but the jet looks a lot better now. Triple changers can be done a lot better. Broadside has always been difficult. The original toy had similar issues. Carrier mode great. Plane not so much, though Fansproject Assaulter pulls them off well, but is is 4 times the price. Though their carrier mode looks more like the SDF1 than an aircraft carrier.

IMG_4245.JPG IMG_4246.JPG IMG_4247.JPG IMG_4248.JPG IMG_4249.JPG

Thanks it was what I was looking for.

I don't have one but I do have a tailwing that I'm going to install after work. I'll post pics when it's done.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  10. MarinerPrime

MarinerPrime Well-Known Member

The stock TR carrier mode didn't really have a proper prow and neither does this, so mission accomplished in any case.

Hell, you might even improve both fighter/dropship (TBH I'd prefer that over a clearly wonky jet for this iteration, and you are right in pointing out that the mold actually works towards that effect) and carrier mode by ripping off those dinky red flaps and replacing them with the larger grey fins, since they'd add much needed grey to that area of the front AND give you a rear end assembly that resembles the YF-22's (even more so if you just remove the hinge parts from the red flaps and glue them at an angle onto the sides of the grey ones. From the looks of it, they'll still stay out of the way for carrier mode.)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jazz210

Jazz210 Est.2011

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Plane mode looks 10x better then what hasbro slapped together

12. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

Why? Why? Why was this not in the designer's heads? All of these mods are simple and more effective, it's like they want us to do their job for them.

13. King Glurch

King Glurch Voyager Sized

YouTube:
    It saves them an extra 3ยข.

• Like Like x 1