Minor/Repaint: Another Alternators Red Alert

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Pun-3X, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

11/29/09: Per request, I'm re-uploading these pictures. Sadly, I didn't keep the originals and only have these ones that are sized between 450-500 across. The pictures are still pretty good.

As mentioned in this thread, I purposely have his legs in the 'reverse' mod even though the normal panels look more accurate (though, I did paint them black to match the G1 look).

Stickers are customized by Reprolabels.com. (It's the Prowl-to-RA conversion set, but with clear backgrounds)

Attached Files:

2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thats cool looking, I think I might have to do this with my extra Prowl too....

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I used a Sideswipe head and I keep hoping repro labeles will release stickers for it. If not i intend to paint the vechicle mode similar to what you have done

4. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That looks great!:thumb 

5. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I'm still deciding what to do with my extra Prowl.

6. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

I've got an extra Sideswipe head, if you need it. I'm looking for a Windcharger head myself.

7. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Thanks for the offer. :)  Unfortunately, I'm hell-bent on using a Meister head (I know, RA shared molds with G1 Sideswipe). I have the perfect ideas for customizing it to fit better, part of which includes the obvious removal of the visor piece.

Currently, I have the Prowl head in the above pics as well as a Wheeljack head. If anyone does have a Meister head, do let me know. :) 

8. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Awesome paint job. The only thing I'd change is the legs. It would look way more G1 if you kept them in the official Alt Prowl Transformation. G1 Red didn't have shin windows (obviously).

But really, great job. I'm gonna' have to track down an extra Prowl and Sideswipe to make a Red Acura Sideswipe Alt. That Accura mold really looks like him in 'bot mode.

9. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

You know, you're absolutely right about the legs. The matching style would be the way it was originally intended. But it came down to this: personally, I don't like the way the legs look out-of-package at all. They've just got a little bit of that RID Magnus long-legs thing going. Plus, the normal way limits the knee joints. In the end, I just like it better this way. But yeah, it does look more like the old RA in the normal format.

Eh, ah well. :wink: 

10. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

That's a really nice custom. Good job. :rock  :rock 

11. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So far so good! I hope to see more!

12. Darknova4life

Darknova4life Well-Known Member

Looks great. I've been looking to do a similar thing. How did you paint it? Brush, pen or spray? Thanks.

13. JunkionExchange

JunkionExchange Banned

i like that

14. Devil-Gigatron

Devil-Gigatron Destronger Dark Emperor

I like it too, but I think Hasbro plans to do that figure since Takara did it already!

15. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

DN4L: I used Krylon Fusion spray paint, disassembling and masking off the desired areas. It's good stuff too, bonds to the plastic and looks relatively close to factory-painted.

D-Gigs: I gotta wonder what Hasbro is planning. Japan issued a new Subaru as Red Alert, but we reissued the thing as (Stepper)Ricochet. I gotta wonder what the second Acura paintstyle will be.

Still in need of that Meister head though. Besides the stickers, that's probably the next most important piece I don't have.

16. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Okay, so it's been like--forever. But I was waiting quite a bit for a Meister head to pop up. I finally made a trade with a guy named Epitaph at TFans.com. Decided to take some progress pics of the head as I worked on it:

[​IMG]

First--a door mod. It's actually cheating, as you have to yank the doors off and reattach them to make it work. I'll show how it attaches at the end.

Anyway, I had decided long ago that I never really liked the DESIGN of the cartoon Red Alert's head--though I was used to the red color. So my design is based mostly off of the G1 toy.

[​IMG]

Meister with his visor taken off--before any modding. I also used this picture to digibash around and find out how exactly I was going to cut the antlers the way I wanted.

[​IMG]

In this image, you can see the sloppy pencil work indicating where the design changes took place. Besides the antlers, you can also see I sanded down the mohawk and chopped off the back along the sides to give it a rounder look--similar to G1 RA. I had also decided to mimic the 'circles' at the sides of the toy's head, so I drilled these holes to place the pins that I'd be using.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Those are them!

[​IMG]

So once I glued them in--I got all excited and forgot to take pics pre-painting. Turns out, my first attempt had the paint applying itself way too thick. After I stripped it off for the second attempt, I took this rush shot. Eheh...

17. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here we are, fully painted. You can see how the antlers came out compared to the original.

[​IMG]

The face still has some red splotches, as well as some silver that came off after some preliminary cleaning. I'll probably be repainting that later.

[​IMG]

Full body comparison

[​IMG]

And the legs facing the original way to match the G1 version better. (Though the crotch is now backwards, but eh...and I still prefer it the other way around :D  )

[​IMG]

This is the doormod. Done up originally by TFMaster at Transtopia.com, you are required to remove the door from the hinge and reattach it when you transform him (as I'd mentioned). You also have to cut out the grooves ahead of the hinges so the connector can fit in place.

The pins I used were stripped from an RiD Heavyload's front wheels. The length is perfect, though the thickness of the pin is too much. I had to grind them both down quite a bit, so anyone wanting to do this mod may wish to find a different set of pins.

Well, there we are so far. A few touch-ups and some stickers...and I think he's all done. :) 

18. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Oh WOW! The head turned out perfect!!!

19. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Sorry for the long wait. There had been some additional paint apps since the last pics, but I wanted to keep it all a surprise until I could get the rest of him together.

Basically, I was waiting for some stickers to make the guy look right. Well, Reprolabels.com mentioned they were making a conversion kit for BT/Alt Prowl into Red Alert. The fact that they were to be mapped around the Prowl mold worked out perfectly for me.

http://www.reprolabels.com/Binaltech/Binal...altredprowl.jpg

So when the sheet came out, I asked if they could customize the set and make all clear backgrounds instead of red/white/black. That way I wouldn't have to worry about the stickers and my paint apps matching. :wink: 

Well, the stickers came yesterday, and I've finally got him all done!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also have some shots from the back of his legs. I painted the panels in black to somewhat mimic the fronts of the G1 Red Alert's lower legs. (sorry, no blue)

[​IMG]

And reversed (or back to normal, at least for the lower legs)

[​IMG]

I'm assembling some pics for a gallery in the next couple of days. Hopefully I should have some better shots soon. :) 

20. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    That's a really faithful reinterpretation of Red Alert. It looks very good. He'll blend right in with the Hasbro releases - probably stand out a lot more!

Excellent job, man.