Annihilation crossover

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Molini, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch TFW2005 Supporter

I always see this hardcover series at comic shops and bookstores. What was it, and is it worth reading? I really haven't heard anyone really discuss it.

2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    It was worth reading, it took several of the space races and heroes that weren't in use and made them interesting again. It was a breath a fresh air during the crap that was civil war.

3. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I don't really read comics too much anymore, but I heard LOTS of good things about it and generally hear it's the only good thing to come from the house of m (marvel, not the crossover) in about 3-4 years.

4. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Annihilation and its subsequent titles (Annihilation Conquest, Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc) are the best Marvel comics I've read in recent memory.

5. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

If you're talking about the original Annihilation (not Annihilation: Conquest) i couldn't recommend a better series. The last comic I read before I picked that up was the Onslaught fiasco in the mid-90s.

Back in 2006 when Annihilation was going strong, Andy Schmidt (yeah, the same Andy Schmidt handling the Transformers titles at IDW) was the editor for the series, and he was posting in another forum answering questions. I literally posted a message saying how much I appreciated the story and how it single-handedly restored my faith in comics. He thanked me and said he'd print out my post to show his staff...yes it is THAT good.

Of course, this presupposes that you have some liking for sci-fi stories set in space...Annihilation is sort of a grand space opera...it really made Civil War look quite sub-par in comparison.

Pick it up...you will like it. It made made a lot of characters favorites of mine...for example, Galactus is my favorite comic character of all time right now; and because of this series I've started reading up on Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy (Rocket Racoon FTW).

Here's Galactus in the pages of Nova, who received his own ongoing after Annihilation received critical acclaim

[​IMG]

6. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch TFW2005 Supporter

Wow. I had no idea it was that significant of an event. I will definitely check this out.

I don't have too much of an issue with sci fi stories set in space, I mean I liked the Infinity Gauntlet story and that was a big time cosmic scale event.

7. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This felt like it was written for people like me who got into comics around the time of Infinity Gauntlet. :D 

And yeah, Annihilation made Civil War just seem so petty. :lol  There's even a What If? where Nova arrives on earth to tell everyone that the planet's in imminent danger, and he basically goes like "...WTF ARE YOU IDIOTS DOING, LOOK UP THERE".

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I've heard nothing but good things about Annihilation. Never read it myself, though, as aside from Quasar I've never cared about any of Marvel's space stuff. Now that I've been reading War of Kings, though (Rachel Summers is in it, even if as a bit player, therefore I must read it), I'm really tempted to backtrack and read Annihilation.

9. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

You should read it. Annihilation really set the stage for Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy, and the current War of Kings. It's the first true cosmic story since the Infinity Gauntlet/Infinity War stories.

Besides you dont need to be a cosmic fan to read it. You'll enjoy it much more, of course, but will probably enjoy it nonetheless.

10. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

yeah it's the first true story about marvel cosmic since the Infinity Saga

By the way, if anyone is really into cosmic marvel right now and has not read Annihilation, I strongly suggest finding and reading the Thanos limited series (Thanos #1-#12) as well as the Drax limited series (it may be included in the Annihilation trade, not sure as I only have the original release issues).

Thanos limited series because that really explores Thanos, and it's the last time he appears before Annihilation. Also the Thanos limited series introduces some characters that Thanos hangs around with in Annihilation

Drax mini series because that explores how the fat Drax from Infinity Watch/Infinity Gauntlet days became the what he is today, and Drax is an important character in Annihilation.