Animorphs

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by sto_vo_kor_2000, Nov 23, 2010.

1. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

All right.

I know they aren't very popular with TF fans but I'm in the middle of a debate on them [on an other site] and I would like to gather the opinions of others here.

As some of you may or may not know, the Animorphs starts as a book series, then a tv show and were also made into a toyline.

Also, what many of you may or may not know is that when they were released as a toyline, they were placed under the TF franchise.
    Toy photos :: MarcoBeetleMOSC1a.jpg picture by sto_vo_kor_2000 - Photobucket

Now, I'm aware that they were placed under the TF brand as a marketing strategy, to appeal to a wider audience, in an attempt to make larger sales for the toyline.

That it was a business decision.

But some people say because of all that its not a "true" tf toyline.

But I disagree.

I'm normally the type of guy that argues how "vague" things are, of how "gray" an issue is.

But I see this issue as pretty "black and white".

The toys carried the TF logo, that makes them a TF toyline.

I would like to hear some "logical" arguments for or against.

And by logical I mean anything other then "I dont like them so their not TF's".

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I count the Animorph Toyline as part of TFs. Afterall, four unused Animorph moulds became actual Beast Wars TFs.

The show/books, I consider them a seperate property. Nothing official ties the fiction to Transformers. Hell, nothing unofficial ties them.

It's a unique thing, Animorphs and it's toyline.

3. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    It's like the Star Wars crossovers, the toys are TFs (though not really belonging to any particular continuity) but the series itself isn't.

The Taxxon toy looks interesting, and is the most accurate to it's Animorph counterpart --even considering Taxxons never transformed/morphed into, well, anything.
    Well, actually, they all changed to snakes at the end of the series, but it was a permanent change. And less interesting than those... things... the toys turn into.

4. Ecchokat

Ecchokat Ponyologiest for Hire!

Ebay:
    When I was a teenager the books were just coming out as well as the toys and tv show. I personally like the Books and Tv show the toys never really appealed to me they just did not represent the charaters very well. I keep thinking my sister had Rachel I think she transformed into a lion. You could see her lion parts bad unlike transformers where your suppost to see car or plane or other kibble. Seeing animal kibble on the toys just made me not want to buy them.

But like I said the books and show were spot on and I loved them to bits still have some of the books and I have the game somewhere for the Playstation.

5. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think as much as some people don't want it to be, the fact that they had the TF logo on them means it was official.

6. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    I feel they fall into the same area that the Star Wars Transformers stuff is in: technically marketed as Transformers, but a secondary product line.

7. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

How do you define "secondary product line"??

Hasbro has a number of different TF lines out these days.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I think he means the crossovers/Animorphs/Tonka Go-bots/Playskool dudes is secondary to the Transformers with Optimus Prime, Megatron, etc.

9. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Ok, I can see that.

10. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I don't count animorph as transformers toys. because animorphs are in a non-TF fiction/toy universe.

It's abundantly clear why animorphs wore the TF label on the packages. because has felt & knew the animorphs toys wouldn't sell that great in stores under their own animorphs label on the package minus the TF logos.

11. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

okay,i'm curious,which four un-used animorphs toys became beastwars toys?

my random guess the 4 beast that tranform into another beast mode.

12. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Like Marvel TF' s,Star Wars TF's and Gobots TF's.
    So it was a business decision...why does that matter?

The TF brand was created by taking 3 Takara toylines, bringing them together under 1 brand in hopes that they would sell better as 1 line.

It was also a business decision.

The BW's mutants.

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's my view. I have no issue with calling them a Transformers toy line, but there's nothing to connect them to "Transformers" characters or story universes.

14. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The way I see it, if they say Transformers on the packaging (and are made by Hasbro/TakaraTomy of course), then they are Transformers.

15. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    They're official Transformers, in the same sense that Crossovers are Transformers.

I'm curious though, anyone know if they were designed by Hasbro's TF department?

16. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Thats an interesting question, but if not, do you thing that gives them less credibility as a TF line??

17. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    No, they'd still be Transformers as much as Crossovers are.

But if they were designed by the same designers that were working on TFs at the time, it would go beyond mere branding. They'd be TFs on a deeper level.

18. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I see what your saying, but I dont know if I agree.

None of the 84 and 85 G1 toy line ups were designed by Hasbro or TF designers but they are the "deepest" TF's around.

But I'm going to try to find out who designed them.

19. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    Well that's a fair point, but they were designed by Takara (at least the main ones were). As I understand it, there's basically been a continuity between the people working on TFs since then.

If, for instance Animorphs had a Hasbro/Takara copyright stamp, it'd be a sign of a deeper connection. I never had any so I don't know.

If they're made by the same people, it's more of a genetic connection, than say Star Wars Crossovers or 6-inch Titaniums which both have a very different feel to them than mainline TFs due to being produced by a different team.

20. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

The thing is, it's merely a toyline, with the only storyline information being that of the bios.
    Like Star Wars or Marvel Crossovers, the toys were based on a property not officially connected to Transformers in any way. The Animorphs never interacted with Transformers in the bios. However, it can be seen as a continuity of the Transformers story due to it bearing the Transformers brand name on the packages. Supposedly this means in the Transformers-based parts of the Animorphs story at least, multiversal entities could travel there. The Fallen could've just taken the Sun from the Animorph's continuity. XD