Animorphs Book Series

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by UltraMagnus3786, Apr 16, 2012.

1. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I read these stories as a kid back in '96, I think I got up to book 19. I got the entire series about 1-2 months ago and blew through all 50-something books. Ho. Lee. Crap. What an amazing ride it was. The characters are deep, the world-building and alien races are amazing, and the plots are really exciting with some great twists. Sure, a few books were duds, but 95% were out of this world.

Did anyone read this series as a kid? Please don't post too-revealing spoilers without spoiler tags for anyone thinking of reading it ;-)

2. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was a great series, got past most of the 20s before I stopped reading them, not sure why. I still wish they could've done a bit more with the series though.

3. UltraMagnus3786

I really think it should be made into a movie, maybe a 6-movie series. There's so much great material in there.

4. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I was into these quite a bit when they were newer (I should still have most of my books behind a shelf of stuffed animals), and it's really no surprise to me why they became as popular as they did. I wasn't aware of the TV show until years after it'd ended, but the books made up quite a lot of my childhood, and I think they still hold up for older audiences too.

5. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I remember reading these, thought they were pretty boss. The TV show on the hand was tripe, but mainly because it was too expensive to make propperly. I mean the fucking 'space weapons' were torches with a gunsight taped to them. One thing in the novels that shat me off was the one where they went back in time, got Dinosaur morphs and when they returned to the present, they couldn't use them: FUCKING GYPPED.

6. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Ahh, Animorphs. They, Goosebumps, and Captain Underpants were my favorite books that I read as a kid. I never did finish reading the series. I think I stopped at around the 30s or 40s.

But the TV show? Forgettable.

7. UltraMagnus3786

Haha yeah that was kind of disappointing. But the ending to that book was pretty boss.

8. Fiy

Fiy Alien Velociraptor

News Credits:
    I only ever read a handful of the books when they originaly came out. LOVED the tv show though. It was a favorite of mine for the limited time it was around.

9. Ecchokat

Ecchokat Ponyologiest for Hire!

Ebay:
    I was a huge fan of these books. I remember going to walmart and having to check for the new books that came out and buying them I could read one in about a hour. It was a fun trip. The hork bajir were my favorite creatures on the series and I love The Hork-Bajir Chronicles. I also loved the tv show even though it was not on long. I read all the books great series and I still have most of mine.

10. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Favorite book series ever. It had lots of nifty aliens and was surprisingly mature for a 'kids' book series. No "we're good and they're bad and that's that" in this war.
    Also liked Ax and Visser Three's bizarre obsession with eating (cinnamon buns and enemies, respectively).

I've got to find the source, but I recall reading that originally Animorphs was going to be more TV-adaption-friendly (i.e. Andalites were going to be something like human elves aliens) but the editors thought they should be something a little more strange.

11. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    As I recall, Andelites were four eyed, blue centaurs with a scorpion's tale and no mouth, speaking only in telepathy. That wasn't the author's original plan?

12. UltraMagnus3786

If that's the case, I'm glad they went with the blue centaurs. Probably one of the few cases where the higher-up suits/editors had a positive impact on the mythos of someone's work. There are enough elves running around fantasy/sci-fi novels :p 

13. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Man, a ridiculous amount of interviews and Q&As to look thru to re-find that tidbit...
    hirac delest - An Animorphs Final Statement
    Not exactly "human elves" (my bad), but Andalites were originally going to be less... Andalitey. Score 1 for executive meddling!

Also, here's another quote I think we all can enjoy:
    EDIT: *looks at Gordon_4's location* Ha, I didn't see that before posting that quote.

14. SearchmanDS

SearchmanDS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seeing this thread title has sent me on a pleasant stroll down memory lane. This way my favorite book series as a kid, along with select Goosebumps books. I was really good at getting books in this series untill I fell off the tracks somewhere...in the 30s I think. Sadly, a cursory search on Amazon yields no complete book boxset, but I did notice recent reprintings of the books. Might just pick these the next time I hit the bookstore.

15. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I remember when these came out, and I was originally on a Goosebumps kick so I thought Animorphs looked stupid. Years later I wish I had read them all when I had the chance.

16. UltraMagnus3786

My friends, all of the books are available online. Luckily I was able to download the entire series for my iphone in pdf format. I only got up to the early 20s as a kid, so I was reading most of them for the first time.