Anime - What's New (or gonna be New) that is good?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by OmegaScourge, Oct 30, 2006.

1. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i've been hooked watching anime for the past month or so...but most were out for a while now (still keeping up-to-date with the ones that's still going though)...so off i went looking for new ones but don't really know which to watch.

two animes that i can think of is Hellsing Ultimate (which i only have eps 1-2 but is awesome) and Rockman Exe: Beast (which i'm up to ep 6 and really like this series)...i know there's gonna be a Tales of Symphonia anime coming out soon.

so anything new that is worth watching (or will be in the next 6 months)?

2. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

More info needed.

1: We talking commercial DVD release, Fansubs, or what's playing on TV?

2: What sort of stuff do you like? Shojo, Shonen, Mecha, harem, blood and guts, cutesy, yaoi?

3. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Ghost Stories just finished up on Anime Network. It's not a traditional anime in that it was a kids show over there but they've turned it into a south-park-ish sort of comedy. Some of the shows suck but most are pretty hilarious if you have a dark sense of humor.

4. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

Eureka Seven and Black Lagoon are my two favorites right now.

Amazing in their scope and style.

5. ABH1979

ABH1979 Blue Boba Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    I just started watching Basilisk. It's a pretty cool series about the Iga and Kouga ninja clans and kinda reminds me of the first Ninja Scroll movie. It's pretty good if you like ninja but hate Naruto.

6. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I'd very much recommend black lagoon, I saw it awhile back if you wanna know whats about its basically cowboy bebop with a boat. I know its not the best summary but it sums up the tone of the show.

If your looking for stuff on dvd try Bleach, I watched it way back when and liked it but I got behind and just gave up from what I've seen of the English dub its good so that might be another one to try.

That's all I really got I hope that helps a little

7. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I'm trying to sit down and watch that on TV. But something about it turns me off :( 

The real anoying thing is that I don't even know what it is about the show I don't like.

I think it's because Eureka 7 has a slower pace then I'm used to with the animes I watch. So I'm going to make a SERIOUS effort to watch it. I think I've only missed like 7 episodes anyway

8. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Got into watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya recently (hilarious stuff) and Mai-OTOME.

And I'm staring to finish off the rest of the Da Capo subs and Gospels 2 and 3 of Chrono Crusade.

9. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I tried watching this when it premiered on [AS] and thought the characters, dialogue, writing, plot and animation were really boring. Liked it better when it was Yu Yu Hakasho.

The only 'new' thing I'm watching right now is Trinity Blood (although I'm going to start Eureka Seven once I get through Batman Beyond). Trinity Blood has very nice animation, especially on the scenery and a fairly unique 'world'...but what I've seen so far (eps 2 - 8) is slow and light on action, with a lot of conversation and character introduction/development. I think it's OK at the moment (I've heard it's due to pick up soon), but it's a show you might want to watch on [AS] rather than paying for DVDs.

10. Sideways

Sideways Banned

i started watching Trinity Blood.
    i like the android priest guy...
    GENOCIDE MODE!!!!

11. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    A friend of mine's going to give me the first Trinity Blood DVD tomorrow. She's a big anime collector, hundreds of DVDs in her room. I should know, she's loaned me most of them. She's raving over the series herself. Another new one she hooked me on recently is called Tactics, which in design is your usual anime formulas, but very well done series and a lot of unique elements.

If you like things more unusual and comical, look into Kodocha. Totally off the wall anime, very funny, but not an action anime. If you want action with your humor, Tenchi Muyo recently released a new volume in it's third OVA series. That's my favorite series of all time, trick is it's more expensive than most, but for all it's various series, it's hard to go wrong with any of them. (Well, maybe Tenchi in Tokyo...)

One I like is a bit more girlish but for style and originality, it's hard to match, Kaleido Star. That one I'll leave you to look in on, whatever summary you find, just know that it probably wont do the series justice.

GaoGaiGar has been licensed and I really liked that one, heavy on the action and big mech battles, but to understand it you really have to know all the anime cliches, the series does most of them WAY over the top.

Those are my recommendations. I'm sure I forgot a few, my friend shows me so many I lose track.

12. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I have to agree with you on this, I started watching this on YTV up here and thought it was pretty so-so, which was unfortunate considering all the great things I've heard about it. However according to friends it does get better and picks up as it goes.

As for new stuff the only thing I'm looking forward to is GaoGaiGar, other then that I'm pretty much in the same boat looking for new stuff, though not like I would have time to watch anything new anyway.

13. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

If that's the case maybe I'll watch it this Friday then. Heck the only thing it'll cost me is 30 minutes anyway :D 

14. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i was thinking more towards Japanese releases that got the fansub treatment. even if i buy Anime DVDs, i usually watch it in its original language with subtitles.

i just recently (after writing this thread) started watching Ergo Proxy (finally finished getting all the fansubs)...i also started to look into Trinity Blood too.

15. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

Hmm. Well you seem to like Shonen stuff mostly, so...

Some of my current watch list:
    Pumpkin Scissors (Stupid name, but it's worth watching)
    D.Gray Man
    Coyote Ragtime Show
    One Piece (Not the 4 kids dub)
    Black Lagoon (Although I'd skip the first arc of the new season.)

Legend of Galactic Heroes (EPIC sci fi. Lots of space battles but lots of talking heads between battle scenes. I love all the backstory, but not everyone does)
    Utawarerumono (It only looks cutesy at the beginning. You get mass warfare later)
    Sumomomo momomo (This one is a LITTTTTLE bit Echi)

I'd recommend some mecha based shows (Hey, this IS a Transformers board, right?) but there's a serious lack of QUALITY mecha shows out there ATM. They're all angsty Eva-wannabe fests.

16. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Series I thought were awesome are as follows:

SAMURAI 7
    NINJA SCROLL: The Series
    Kenshin - Samurai X
    Samurai Champloo (Very Funny)
    Inu-Yasha (First few seasons, then it dragged)

17. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Wow those are new? I remembering watching most of those when i was a kid.

18. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

What are you talking about Samurai 7 is just finished being released. Inu-Yasha is an ongoing series. NINJA SCROLL: The Series is like 3 years old tops but still new and great. Kenshin is the oldest but is a great series non the less.

19. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, Inuyasha's actually over now. At least until the production staff pulls it out of hiatus. The series, for the moment, is indefinitely suspended at episode 167, which should have aired already in the US just recently. Canada has 5 episodes left to go. All four movies have been released. It's done.

From all I've heard, the studio does want to pick it up again, but health or life issues or something with the series' director have put it on hold. It doesn't help that the manga's still ongoing so that they don't have an ending to work with, or else if need be, they could just wrap it up with another movie or two.

Eureka 7 is really different, promising big, badass mecha battles, but instead focusing on the more mundane aspects of a giant robot pilot's life, and Renton's initiation into this big dysfunctional family. I can tell that things are starting to build up though, so that whole formula should change in a short while.

20. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    One I've just discovered is Code Geass. I've only watched the first episode, but it looks good. Sort of like Gundam with the politics and mecha blend, and the ordinary yet frustrated at the status quo kid thrust into the middle of things.
    First episode's story blazed by at a phenomenal pace, but that's not a bad thing since they're setting a lot of stuff up.

Others I'm watching are Bleach (it gets good once they hit the Quincy Archer plotline, that's when it picked up for me, though the current ones with the whole "memories in the rain" were good ones too). I'm also watching Gaiking: Legend of the Daiku Maryu. It's classic Super Robot action at its very best. Lots of nice sequences in the fights, which can get very intense, and the cast is extremely fun to watch. Awesome villains, too. Well worth checking out.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention. Code Geass has a few GaoGaiGar and Godannar staff members working on it. You can see it in the Knightmare mecha, they're from that school of design.